My BMW 507 project | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My BMW 507 project

Discussion in 'Other German' started by A12pilot, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    HA! Right? It’s progressing nicely. More progress this week with an update.

Radiator is being built and I’ve got a few authentic parts from Germany coming this way! Small detail stuff, but still stuff to make it a little more true to form.

Cheers
    Dave

tritone likes this.
  2. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Heater plenum is functional with internal block off door, fuel filler door installed, glove box door and grab handle fabricated. Smaller detail stuff and items not worthy of posts, but progress is being made! I should be done with the body work (hopefully) by the end of next month. I won’t paint it until after I get it running and driving to make sure nothing else needs to be cut, welded, or messed with. Don’t want to mess with fresh paint!

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, INTMD8, UroTrash and 5 others like this.
  3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    (Ah...car was originally Willow Green) Last time I did that, the wipers worked when I hit the horn button. :confused: Fortunately, I knew someone that was more familiar with the wiring so he came over and got everything in order. :D

4. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I finally got to see a real one up close and personal last week! Invaluable information on several items that I was missing. I’m happy to report that my car seems just about as similar as I could have hoped for. Scale, lines, function. Everything seems to match up. PHEW!!!!!!

Cheers
    Dave

peterp, UroTrash, WJHMH and 4 others like this.
  5. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WJHMH, mcimino, BJK and 3 others like this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    This room must be just for storage right? Way too clean for any actual work to take place there........:D
    Hey, maybe you could offer to store the red one in there........easily accessible for measurements, etc.......

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    PS: are you going to do a hardtop too? Would be way cool........

8. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    HA! No, that’s actually the work room too. Remember, this is a high-end restoration shop…er…something like that!:rolleyes::p I have to spend a lot of time cleaning after the work is done. Of course all the block sanding happens outside. I’m going to be building an extension onto the front of the shop to be the paint room.:cool:

Yes sir! I’m going to be doing an aluminum hardtop too! But I’m doing that after the car is complete and driving later this year. Once I’m happy and there’s nothing else needed on it after a few hundred miles of test driving, then I’ll start fabricating that. I’m taking it to a show in November and the car will be complete minus paint and upholstery so I don’t want any delays or side track projects (like a Jag!:p). If I have time to get that hardtop done for the show I will, otherwise it’ll be when I get it back.

Cheers
    Dave

BJK, JL350, tritone and 1 other person like this.
  9. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    More block sanding. Everything is removed to finish out the jambs and openings. Door shells are now complete units with inner panels welded up. Once I get the jambs done I’ll put everything back on one last time. Minus the hood of course, since I’ll need that off for engine installation.

As of today, every hole that needed to be drilled is accounted for. I won’t be painting the car until after a few hundred miles of test driving in case anything needs to be moved or redone. Once registered, titled, and road tested, then I’ll break it down for paint at the end of the year.

Luckily too, I’m running out of parts to buy!:p

cheers
    Dave Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, tritone and UroTrash like this.
  10. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    mcimino, BJK, tritone and 2 others like this.
  11. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Took the stock stamped steel valve covers and printed up the labels to turn them into cast aluminum look-a-likes for the Olds. Heavy primer filled the voids, then reduced pressure and heavy flow resulted in an orange peel technique that looks like cast aluminum!

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

UroTrash, peterp, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  12. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    UroTrash, mcimino, spike308 and 3 others like this.
  13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Brilliant result!!!

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  15. 10stb

10stb Rookie

Jun 8, 2023
    Full Name:
    Steve Berry
    Amazing thread. I'm in awe of the quality of your workmanship and attention to detail......and your workshop.....it's cleaner than my house

I'm due to start a 507 tribute on a bmw z3 base here in the uk in the next couple of months. Currently stock piling parts. It'll be nowhere near the accuracy and build quality of yours.....more of a nod to an icon.

Most parts are being sourced from other car manufacturers that look similar to the originals. My skill set and budget means I have to adopt a "in the style of" approach.

Side grills have me doing most of my head scratching at the moment as I can't find any dimensions for them.

I will continue to follow the story of your beautiful 507. Keep up the good work

16. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you, Steve! I can help you with the measurements on the side grilles. I'll shoot you a PM over the weekend.

Been busy working on things, and acquiring another project (and it's a Ferrari...sorta;)) which I'll update on another post soon.

Big week. It's on its own feet again! Dash is almost complete. I added engine bay ancilliaries which are correct for the 507 as well. Trying to make it as accurate as I can!

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

audi_328, BJK, 10stb and 2 others like this.
  17. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lots of small details to make it as similar to the real one as I can, but it would take a book to describe that. Hey, a book. I should write a book! Nah. That takes time away from fabrication!

More to come. Engine goes in this weekend!

Cheers
    Dave

tritone likes this.
  18. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I almost love this more that omgjon's dino resto's or Newman's boxer resto threads!!
    truly amazing!

swift53 likes this.
  19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Love seeing it on wheels! And the dash & instruments looking great too!
    I had great fun restoring/recreating the instruments on my boat project.......very satisfying to create them and see them in their correct place (rather than on the shelf for 18 years!)

Progress with a Capital P!

20. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Incredible! And magical!

21. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate the feedback! It’s been a fun and rewarding project so far. More progress over the weekend. Hopefully when it’s running and driving later this year I’ll bring it to Yogi’s Bagels for the Ft. Worth monthly meetup!

I am brining it to the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals later this year in November in Chicago if anyone goes or is local and wants to check it out in person. Possibly the O’Reilly Autorama in Dallas next February too before I break it down for final paint.

cheers
    Dave

10stb and Tenney like this.
  22. 10stb

10stb Rookie

Jun 8, 2023
    Full Name:
    Steve Berry

Appreciate it Dave. You've certainly done your homework. You must have spent many man hours researching. It shows in your attention to detail.

As I said, budget and skill set means I have to adopt the "nod to an icon approach ", and fit items from other cars that if you squint and stand 60ft away look like they're in keeping.

I believe only 3 rhd cars were built so fortunately most people in the uk wouldn't know what a 507 was, let alone know whether a part was correct.

Mine will be a work in progress and evolve over time. Still currently stockpiling parts while the fibreglass body is made.

I've just picked up my wheel bolts that were machined from vw 14mm thread down to 12mm bmw thread. This allows a vw transporter hubcap to be fitted to a bmw steel wheel complete with spinner to give an authentic (if you squint from 60ft away) look. At a later date I may change to a 2 eared spinner which would be more in keeping.

Keep up the good work
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Danny Red likes this.
  23. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, many many, MANY hours of research. All fun too! You and I are of the same thinking as my wheels were similar.
    What I did was to buy the knock-off spinner adapters (two bar style) along with the correct vintage BMW Classic roundels. I had my neighbor 3D print a rivet plate of my design (even the same amount of rivets as the real Rudge wheels!) and after paint and assembly, it looks like a Rudge. A “knock-off” Knock Off!:cool:

I will PM you the side grille dimension over the weekend!

cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tenney, TheMayor, WJHMH and 2 others like this.
  24. 10stb

10stb Rookie

Jun 8, 2023
    Full Name:
    Steve Berry
    Thanks Dave...bravo, your Rudge wheels look great

25. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Fantastic thread, great to meet you Dave this morning at Yogi's.