My bad experience with Tony and Auto Haus of Boston | FerrariChat

My bad experience with Tony and Auto Haus of Boston

Discussion in 'New England' started by johnep, Mar 18, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell
    He was kind enough to meet me half way to let me borrow a tow eyelet for my 360 to get it towed down to his shop Dec 15th. I told him I just bought the car and was looking forward to getting it back early spring. I thought he was the man! He had gone out of his way to help me out.

It was sent down the Dec 16th. It would not go into gear at stops and sometimes had to shut the car off and restart to get it to shift. It had a whine in the gearbox I felt were the carrier bearings, a check engine light on for an evap issue. And I wanted it checked over.

The beginning of Jan. sometime he calls and says he confirmed the shift issue but was not sure what it was. The gearbox needed to come out to inspect the bearings for the noise. There was a bad inner tie rod that needed to be replaced immediately. The check engine light was on due to a evap issue. The tie rod is not available from Ferrari but he knows a guy in California that builds them and would do one for me. ( I have ordered and received my inner tie rod from Ferrari so I guess he was wrong about that) I ask for a ball park and he can not even guess. I give the go ahead for the shifting issue, the gearbox, the tie rods, and the evap. still confirming I wanted it early spring. He said he or Nelia will get back to me with an est.

Then nothing, no updates or estimates. I decide to take a ride down to see the shop and drop off my tow hook on Thurs. Feb 16th. I get there to see my car out front with the rear bumper cover off but nothing else started. I tell Nelia NOT to do the gearbox as I was afraid if they start it now I could be without it for too long. I was and shared my concern on parts availability and possible being on back order. I say do the tie rod and other work. Tony was out sick that day. I call the 20th to confirm our new arraignments and leave a message. I call back Tues. the 22nd and speak with Nelia again to confirm we are all on the same page. She calls me back in short order saying I need to call Tony asap. He took the gearbox out of the car already. I was not at all happy with that call. I sent an e-mail stating from here on out all communication would be by text or e-mail. I told them I wanted a picture of my car with the gearbox out and one of it on the bench ASAP today. Tony is calling every 5 minutes, Texting me to call him. I text him back we can text but no phone calls as I want everything documented since there was a miscommunication on his end. He sends me a picture of the gearbox fluid filter. I texted him I want a picture of the car with the gearbox out. He sends me a picture of the car with the gearbox in it. The asks me where I got the information the gearbox was out. I told him Nelia called me and told me it was already out. Now this is several hours after we start communicating that day. He then says he doesn't know why I thought my gear box was out. What a thing to say after arguing about it all day. He was looking for a way out and threw Nelia under the bus to do so. Real classy guy.

My take is he can not be trusted. He was going to take the gearbox out and blame me for his error. He did not want that job or money leaving so he was going to disable the car so I would be stuck. Reminded me of the junk garages that do that to customers. It was a sleazy move and I caught him red handed.

I was able to get my car back intact but did pay him $1600.00 to change my gearbox oil and clear the codes. So now he has a pissed off customer who has 2 Ferrari's that he will never work on nor the next ones I get and I will never have a good thing to say about him.

It seems many have had good dealings with him. I am glad for you and wish I had as well. I do wonder how many times he has done this before. I cant believe I was his first, well maybe I'm the first to catch him.

2. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    ....doh. That's why I do it all myself, I don't trust anyone.

DeltaHF_2 and johnep like this.
  3. Samir Goncalves

Jun 8, 2019
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Sam G.
    I think there is a lot of room for confusion and misunderstanding here... I personally trust Tony fully and know a lot of people who do as well. He has so much work that he's considering not accepting new clients.

Hopefully your issues will get resolved quickly and you can enjoy driving season soon.

johnep likes this.
  4. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does sound like poor communication. Sorry you had to go through this. Better communication to the customer would have prevented a bad situation.
    That said, Tony has worked on my former F355 and 360. Always a good experience.

5. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    20 Mill lane Braintree MA 02184
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    You are a liar !! a very inconsiderate and an inconceivable person. I or Nelia never told you that your gearbox was out of your vehicle and is far is the inner tie rod ends was never available through OEM part from Ferrari or Ricambi.The 1,600.00 was for all the diagnoses work that was authorized by you with yor signature on the Repair Order.Good Luck !!

6. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell
    I may be many things but a liar is not one if them, I still have Nelia's panic voice mail and e-mail. Followed by your numerous phone calls and text. You got caught and now you need to do whatever to cover your tracks. I would expect nothing less from some one like you. I am by the way very considerate and a very fair person when treated fairly.

I got the inner tie rod from Tom Vail's all Ferrari parts. Number 1196171 for $324.00

Would you care to elaborate on the diagnostic work? My invoice just shows the $1600.00 with no break down of any kind on what was done.

7. Samir Goncalves

Jun 8, 2019
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Sam G.
    Hey John,

If you want to work with Tony, I recommend you make an appointment to go see him and discuss. Airing out this dirty laundry in a public forum isn't good for anyone involved, yourself included. Independent Ferrari shops in new England are a rarity and I'd be weary to be known as a difficult guy to work with.

That said, I know for a fact that on the day you visited the shop, a new, SIXTH LIFT was being installed - which is why your car (and other cars) were safely stored in front of the shop while installation equipment were far, far away in the back. Secondly, it was a 60 degree day. You showed up without an appointment and didn't catch Tony. Had you made a call in the 6 week period between conversations, you wouldn't have wasted your time.

Secondly, Nella sits at the front desk and handles bookkeeping. Whether she said "the transmission is out" or "Tony got started on the work" is up for debate; but Tony himself never told you the tranny was out. He texted you the pictures you asked for and you yourself stated he diligently tried to call you and you ignored.

Text and email is the easiest way to lose tone and miscommunicate. When two men want to figure something out, they talk.

Like me and others have said, he's one of the best in the business. Sorry this experience didn't work out for you and we hope you get your issue resolved quickly.

Feel free to call Tony and speak with him any time - he's always willing to go the extra mile and help.

Sam

8. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell

You sound like a paid spokesman. Some of the things you stated are true and some are not. I went to down to drop my tow eyelet off and see my car. I did not think I needed and appointment to do that. My bad if that is the case. She called and told me Tony had taken the gear box out. That is a fact. I did not believe it so I asked for the pictures of my car with it out. Plain and simple then things went south fast. That is when I wanted text or e-mail so there would be no more confusion.

I am fortunate that I have worked on high end cars most of my life. I am retired now and was looking to find a shop I could use. As much as I do not want to I will do the work myself.

9. Samir Goncalves

Jun 8, 2019
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Sam G.
    I wish I was paid, lol, it would help offset the amount of work I give the guy .

Either way, we're a small community and we need to count on each other. If you ever need anything please feel free to reach out to me, I may know someone who could help!

ronfrohock and johnep like this.
  10. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell
    Thank you Sam. I appreciate it and I may be in touch.

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I've also had very good experiences with Tony ... perhaps he may have thought you did not want the filter removed and told Neila that the gearbox filter was already out (presumably you would first check that for metal shavings diagnosing the gearbox along with the fluid change) and she misunderstood him to say that the gearbox itself was removed and everything escalated from there? This sounds like a language/miscommunication issue.

12. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell
    I find it very odd how many on here seem to know details from the my car being there. I would have to believe Tony has been in touch trying to save face. Or your car is there and you want to look a hero. I am happy many of you have had a great experience with him and wish I had. I did not and posted it to make others aware. Free speech is still allowed I think, Or is this a place where it gets trashed and banned?

13. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    20 Mill lane Braintree MA 02184
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Hi my name is Nelia, I am the service director and advisor here at AuoHaus of Boston.
    This is a false accusation and baseless claim that in my opnion is being used for defamation of me, and my shops reputation.
    This accusatory tactic is not appreciated as you will be held responsible for all damages related to and as a result of this false claim and accusation.
    We are taking this serously a defamatory attack on us and our organization.
    If this continues will be fully prosecuted in the court of law.

14. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell

Please do. I would be happy to sort this out in a court room. You have all my information feel free to more forward.

15. bagel1993

bagel1993 Karting

Jun 22, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Perry
    #15 bagel1993, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    John I remember when your 360 got towed into to the shop. I happened to be there checking up on my 575. Don't you remember what I told you that our cars will be rooming together. I can see your side that you wanted your car fixed asap for the up coming spring. But as a business owner my self I can feel the struggles that Tony has come across with staffing during this crazy world where no one wants to work. I witnessed on a different occasion while visiting the shop two employees of Tony basically threw there wrenches and quit for no reason other then being asked to do their job. My 575 has been there alot longer then your car. Now do I give Tony **** for it and say why are you working on his 360 when my car has been there before his. No I do not. Now you ask why? Beneath Autohaus is a man that has risked everthing he has to open a reputable ferrari shop for us to bring our cars to be fixed. I don't have the heart to give Tony or Nelia a hard time who btw was in the hospital almost dead from covid for weeks not to long ago. I had a sincere conversation with Tony and he told me that if stop taking any cars in that he probably is back logged over a year. My honest opinion is the miscommunication between you and Autohaus is because sometimes a business owner does not know when or how to say no. As much we think Tony is a magician he is not he olny got two hands. Eventually Tony will get the proper mechanics and work threw his back log. Just because you can come on this form and exercise your freedom of speech and discredit Tony and his business doesn't mean you should. Just like Simar said in the previous post it's a small community of Ferrari owners and service shops. You don't want to be that person.

16. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I truly cannot believe what I have read in this thread. Tony and Nelia are some of the nicest and helpful people I have met, especially in this industry. I am also a business owner and it is very hard to say “no”, especially when a potential client has issues. It is hard and disheartening enough to manage a business in this employee climate and business owners are more and more doing the direct labor themselves. What makes it really difficult is when entitled people “demand” that you drop everything you are doing, bypass every other client who understands what running a specialized, manual labor profession is like in this climate, because their needs are more important than everyone else’s. I am not perfect, I am also overwhelmed, and I don’t have time to research every single supplier, every single possible solution, for every specific part or raw material. Information mistakes or miscommunications do happen, I, my customers and my suppliers are not immune to it. We are all overwhelmed and this happens.

To the OP, one of my businesses is so lacking in employee labor, the front door to the facility is locked and anyone that shows up is told to make an appointment. No exceptions. Why? Because the work has to get done for the distributors and customers who have orders put in. We don’t have time to stop while in the middle of a job. This is the new reality and as a previous poster said, you are in a small community of specialized shops and these overwhelmed shops need a little break sometimes because we need them to be around and not regret getting out of bed to work on our cars.

Thank god Tony hasn’t just threw his hands up and said screw it and just retire because of this kind of public whining. If I was Tony, especially in light of this unprovoked attack, I would change to only work a specific client list, tell everyone else “no”, and take some time to himself instead of all the worrying he does trying to help everyone. It is a shame really. I spoke with Tony a few days and I told him to shut down and come take some time and we will go do some deep water fishing and actually relax a little to refocus. He and Nelia deserve a good break and refocus on what is important in life.

To Tony and Nelia, thank you for all that you do every single day.

17. SteveRI

SteveRI Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Providence RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just catching up with this thread. My experience with Tony is maybe a bit more limited than the rest of you, but my dealings with he and his shop over the years has been more than satisfactory. He's a fantastic resource and valuable member of this community. So I'm not buying any of the OP's story.

First, it's just too far out of character. People just don't switch back and forth from honest, knowledgable businessmen to disreputable schemers like that. But beyond that, the story makes no sense. Tony is always backed-up with work. With overwhelming work to do for paying customers, he decided to create some *additional work* for himself on behalf a customer that didn't want the work done?

Nope, not buying it. Keep up the good work Autohaus.

18. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    #18 audi_328, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    I've never replied to a dirty laundry thread, but feel like I have to chime in. I also don't have a ton of experience with Autohaus, but any experience I have had has been great. I agree with Steve in the post above: it's too out of character; I don't see a scheming mastermind here. Tony has come in on a day off to be there to accommodate me dropping my car off on the only day that week I could get there. He's gone above and beyond to troubleshoot an issue I had with my car's shifter a couple years ago, and I know he didn't bill for every hour he spent on it. Occam's Razor says this was likely a miscommunication gone off the rails, and an in-person chat may have resolved this before it got to this point.

Miscommunications happen: a couple weeks ago I called and made an appointment to pop by, as I needed the front turn signals out of my car, which was at Autohaus for a service. When I called, I told Nelia I just wanted to stop by and pop the turn signals out, so we set a time for me to do that. On the day I got there, Tony thought I meant the repeaters on the fenders, not the signals. Simple miscommunications happen, no big deal. We popped my signals out, chatted for a bit and checked out what projects he has going on out back - he's obviously slammed for work - and I was on my way.

Sucks it went down like this, and seems like it could have been avoided, unfortunately. Frustration is the direct result of an unfulfilled expectation, and sounds like OP had an expectation of what work would be done by a specific time, and maybe this wasn't clearly specified or agreed to? In any event, I do think actually talking about this with Tony instead of coming to conclusions and posting them publicly would've been the better approach for sure.

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  19. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Nothing good ever comes from trying to wash dirty laundry in a public forum such as this. It helps no one. It is detrimental to both parties involved. There are two sides to every story.
    This discrepancy is between the OP and Tony and should have been kept that way. What good does making a situation like this public do?
    Also, resorting to personal attacks as the OP did in the first post only diminishes his position, is classless and which there was no need of.
    IMHO the OP should have thought twice before creating this thread. Money can buy a 360 but not class.

20. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I’ve been in the Ferrari ownership community for over 20 years in Massachusetts.

I’ve worked with pretty much all the shops with dozens of cars.

I’ve done a ton of work with Tony and his shop - spent 10’s and 10’s of thousands- always had a great experience.

Tony - hope to see you soon!

21. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell
    I was looking forward to having the same experience most of you have had. If it had I would have been on here praising him. But it did not go that way.

Two guys quit without notice? A year back log?! Sounds like I am not the only to have issues with Tony. I like the guy embellishing his version that I am an entitled person making demands and my unprovoked attack. He should have told me he was that backed up. I told him right out of the gate I wanted it back early spring. I had only had the car for a month before it left. I never would have gone there had I known.

Why is it that this should have been kept in private? Why are there many popular review sites online? Its to rate companies. To educate and enlighten consumers. Apparently you guys feel Tony is above that.

I owned my own repair shop so I know the challenges that go along with it. I have been in the automotive business since I was 16 as an oil and tire change tech . Started at the bottom and worked my way up. I had worked at dealerships and independent companies before opening my own shop. I have been a shop foreman so I know the difficulty running an efficient shop. Sometimes it was like baby sitting whinny techs. BUT, you learn to work with them. Some of the best techs are difficult to get along with say the least. They are much like artists they are wired differently the most. I have seen more then a few guys go off on their own,which I think is the normal progression. They have failed miserably. To run a profitable shop you need to be much more then a good tech. It sounds like he may be a top shelf tech but not very effective in running his own shop. Time will tell when the money dries up.

I will reiterate, I am not one to stay silent when I feel I am wronged. If no one speaks up nothing changes. I am not at all worried about being "that guy" as long as I help someone make an informed decision on where to have their car serviced.

22. SteveRI

SteveRI Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Providence RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is absurd. You started this thread with a rant about how Tony "can not be trusted," because you "caught him red handed" removing your gearbox so that your "job or money" would not leave his shop. He supposedly decided to "disable the car so I would be stuck." Now you are on a whole different, and much more benign, rant about ... his time management? .... or something.

You really should take down that original post, which seems to be full of slanderous and untrue statements. It's like you publicly called somebody a murderer, and are now defending what you said by describing how he ran a red light one time. Give it a break. And apologize.

I have no dog in this fight. I just don't like what you did.

Island Guy and LI2782 like this.
  23. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell

I stand by my original post.

As I read thought the reply's I am beginning to see a pattern. How many really good techs are there in the area that actually know Ferrari's? If two guys walk out with out notice don't you wonder why? At all? Are the new guys ASE or Ferrari trained or will they LEARN Ferrari service on your car? I simply put my 2 cents worth in just like everyone else. The big difference is I do not NEED a Tony I wanted a guy to do my work, most of the guys here do need him. I do not condom murder by the way.

24. SteveRI

SteveRI Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Providence RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ahhh ... so Tony simultaneously (1) has so much work he can't give his customers the timely and proper attention that they deserve, and (2) is so desperate for work that he takes stuff apart without authorization so that he has something to do.

You are the nightmare that keeps on giving. I sincerely hope we never cross paths, professionally or personally.

Samir Goncalves and LI2782 like this.
  25. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Samir Goncalves and vjd3 like this.