F1 TCU update | FerrariChat

F1 TCU update

Discussion in '360/430' started by yelcab, Mar 20, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a 2000 360 Modena F1 whose gearbox cannot talk to my Launch Pros Mini Scanner. I have used the same scanner on 2003 F1 360, and 2004 360CS so I know it is not the scanner. My questions are:

Which year Ferrari TCU do I need to buy to make it readable by the Launch?
    Is it plug and play, or do I need firmware update via flash memory?
    Is a Maserati TCU compatible, and which model? Does it need firmware update?
    From where to buy, and by whom to re-flash firmware if needed?

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I wanna say it was late 2003 or 2004 when they changed the software that allows cheap tools to work with it. I know it was after the change that allows you to manually input the PIS. This was the main reason I got a CS tcu.

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Which year Ferrari TCU do I need to buy to make it readable by the Launch? -> TCU 197533, 211023 and 196986 (CS) are OK (late 2003 and 2004)
    Is it plug and play, or do I need firmware update via flash memory? -> No need to update the firmware of these ones. They are plug&play but the tuning to adapt them to the characteristics of the car (new clutch value, self-learn, PIS)
    Is a Maserati TCU compatible, and which model? Does it need firmware update? -> Yes, some Maserati TCU can be reflashed and used in a 360. CFC201F.5x or CFC231F should be written in the lower left corner of the sticker
    From where to buy, and by whom to re-flash firmware if needed? -> :rolleyes:

cavlino and Qavion like this.
  4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I wrote about this as early as 2009 after doing one of the world's first TCU upgrades waay in 2004 (nearly 2 decades ago now!)

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/138575004/

These days on the older tcus which don't support software upgrade over k-line (kwp2000 protocol) it's probably safer (but not DIY easy!) to use the built in debug interface rather than desolder the flash chip which is what I originally did...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Having said all of this it's still important to realize the 360 in particular is designed to work as a kind of client/server with engine ECUs and gearbox TCUs so normal driving mode won't match correctly the torque shift points with what the engine ecus expect so you get horrible clutch slip and it's more glitchy even in race mode. Far far better to upgrade as a pair both engine ECUs and gearbox TCUs.

So many people I speak too complain about this until they try it for the first time with both upgraded. Actually I've taken it a stage further and optimized CS TCU Comms to engine ecu calibration so all the delays are minimized even further and the result is much much better again. Really it's all software here we are talking about so ensuring the best possible calibration makes a HUGE difference to the end result.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

epb0, Plainview, efg2014 and 4 others like this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So Trev, can you reflash the firm ware on a 2000 F1 model via the debug interface at the same time upgrading the two ECUs of the same model?

6. FLAvert

FLAvert Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    eric355, please PM me. I would like to discuss upgrading the TCU in a 2001 360 Spider. Thanks, Rick L.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    So here's how it works....

The early F1 tcus run both a different size of flash AND a different version of the main chip (system on a chip) so software compiled for that platform will only work on THAT platform. You cannot cross flash the later firmware built for a later chip model onto an earlier chip because they are essentially incompatible.

That's not to say it's impossible (!) just that the simple flashing approach doesn't work. This is because newer chips run at different CPU clock speeds so the timing is all wrong and also different setup/configuration too of the various chipset registers and so forth. If the newer code is patched correctly it could be downgraded to run on the earlier TCU and then you could indeed use the old "non upgradable, as they have been called" tcus like CF201. The other issue is size of flash might need to remove the software upgrader to fit in 256kb flash Vs 512kb of the newer hardware. Like it said it's possible but a lot of work reverse engineering and modifying code...

Far easier to get Eric to flash the TCUs re using cheap Maserati sourced hardware compatible TCUs ... But if you do don't forget to hit me up for the engine ECUs. Yes I can do the TCUs too but I don't want to step on Eric's toes..

Trev

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

cavlino and Qavion like this.
  8. martinrselva

martinrselva Rookie

Apr 2, 2023
    Full Name:
    Martin Selva
    Hi guys! Sorry to intrude in your post.

I'm trying to reach @eric355 about a 360 sc tcu upgrade. Can you pm please ?

Have a great weekend guys

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    PM sent

cavlino likes this.
  10. 360JFW

360JFW Rookie

Dec 18, 2022
    japan
    Full Name:
    MITSURU WATANABE
    Hello.
    I would like to upgrade to a 360 sc TCU.
    I'd like to PM with @eric355 , can you please?

Peter-schweiz likes this.
  11. Peter-schweiz

Peter-schweiz Rookie

Jun 6, 2023
    Steinach Schweiz
    Full Name:
    Hümbeli Peter
    hy @eric355 can you send me a pm? I need a software update for TCU 360 to a CS Software. Thanks

12. AlleyCat9000

AlleyCat9000 Rookie

Jun 10, 2023
    Chicago
    Hello eveyone, my apologies for piggybacking on this post but i am new and cant seem to send PM to @eric355 about getting a 360 CS TCU also at the same time would like to speak with @360trev about ECU upgrades. I just purchased a 2000 Modena and well surprise surprise who wouldnt want faster crisper shifts. Please message me when you have a chance, Thank you!!!

13. kachin808

kachin808 Rookie

Dec 11, 2022
    Saitama, Japan
    Full Name:
    Katsutoshi Kikuya
    Hello.
    Everyone is amazing.
    No one in Japan knows how to update to CS TCU.
    I also want to upgrade my 2000 360 to CS TCU.

I want to PM @eric355, how do I do that?
    Thank you.

14. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Rookie

Jul 30, 2023
    Full Name:
    Tim Gray
    Hi Eric,
    I would like to upgrade tcu in 2002 360 Modena.
    TCU number: CFC201f.05.
    Can you please advise.

15. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Rookie

Jul 30, 2023
    Full Name:
    Tim Gray
  16. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    email sent, Tim.

17. rayzha

rayzha Rookie

Feb 17, 2015
    Hi @eric355 can I hijack this thread too and could you please get in touch? Thanks in advance :D

18. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    2001 360 spider tcu failed, the tcu stops working when the car gets hot I’m considering just buying a brand new CS one for £3000 to save anymore messing around after months waiting to get the F1 system refurbished, any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. ekinfans

ekinfans Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    china
    Full Name:
    samuel
  20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sorry to hijack ..but very curious how you tested the TCU or knee it breaks when hot.. as simple as testing voltage on pins ?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

knocker and Qavion like this.
  21. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I believe my mechanic had the ecu out out the car but connected and warmed it up with a heat gun to replicate operating temp to which end it failed during the experiment so Ive purchased a CS-TCU off Eric .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

flash32 likes this.
  22. netsec

netsec Karting

May 5, 2022
    Henderson, NV
    My experience in regards the 360 TCU (MY2002)...
    Dominick (@flash32 ) helped me troubleshoot oddball F1 behavior. Could not talk to the TCU (193263).
    Did the @360trev ECU/TCU flash. Post flash, no issues accessing the TCU to both read and write.

My understanding is not all (older) TCU's are able to be flashed, but if you can...completely worth the investment.

23. jeroen75

jeroen75 Rookie

Jan 20, 2024
    Ede
    Full Name:
    Jeroen
    Sorry to interfere here as well, @eric355 , please send me a message, i'm looking for a TCU-sw update too :)

24. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Hi.
    PM sent.

jeroen75 likes this.
  25. DavidP92

DavidP92 Rookie

Feb 23, 2024
    London
    Hi Eric,

could you please PM me as well regarding a new tcu for my 2000 360.
    Cheers,
    David