430 - New Master Cylinder Creaking Noise (Converted Manual) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 New Master Cylinder Creaking Noise (Converted Manual)

Discussion in '360/430' started by beasters, Mar 17, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#26 LorenzoR, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    Beasters, I been talking to DR.S. Were gonna try to help you out here. So call me. You have my number

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

after 3 months of immersed in ATF, I can vouch for the brown material is suitable for ATF, which I don't know how that thing is called in English.

All top three seals starts at 17mm outer diameter. The bottom seal was never immersed into ATF, as a reference.

that black thing is what originally fitted to the dot3/4 based clutch master cylinder, and it swells by a lot
    that blue thing swell by about 1.5mm, which is not accepable. I think the material is called polyXXXX something
    that brown thing swell by abslutely 0mm, which is great

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Marcoboxer, cavlino and Qavion like this.
  3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

now my problem is that, the brown thing is too tight to be fitted to the piston, I broke a few already

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

forgot something ,there's another material called NBR I tested, it swells by about 1mm and is not good.

the NBR is black colored.

mwstewart likes this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Tian you are awesome! Copper nitrate? Interesting.. ;)

6. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    wow your problem solving skills are truly impressive! This weekend I tried to take apart and fix my Dyson (failed). Couldn’t imagine doing the degree of diy u have done on your fcar!

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

something like fluo---- something , or related to it. It contains fluorine for sure.

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I was able to locate a piston that has a bigger inner circle diamter, which makes the seal easier to slip into it.
    the final size of the seal is 11mm inner diameter x 16mm outer diamter, height= 6mm (doens't really matter that much i believe)
    however, upon installing it into the cylinder, it doens't work, it is too tight.

mwstewart, cavlino and imahorse like this.
  9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I deal with chemical compatibility issues regularly at work; the global go-to guide for chemical compatibility is the Du Pont chemical resistance guide:

https://www.dupont.com/knowledge/elastomer-chemical-resistance-guide.html

Doing your own tests is fine, but honestly, it’s all been done before.

The brown seals used by Ferrari for f1 fluid are viton. (There are many grades of viton, but I assume this is just plain old Viton A). The black ones, as used by every car company for brake hoses etc. are EPDM (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer), often referred to as synthetic rubber.

Brake fluid is glycol based, which is chemically very different to hydraulic oil, which is based on mineral oils.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24000rpm, modificator and imahorse like this.
  10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ah ha! I read this chart before I did my test.
    The reason I wanted to do this test is the mess of naming of all these chemicals.
    For english speakers as a second language, such as me, those prefix and suffixes of chemicals or biologicals are like ancient spell book.
    So after some struggle and fearing of getting something wrong, I quit reading, I just go and test them myselves.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

how do you like my master cylinder from a farm truck cylinder and another farm truck's master cylinder's internal(pictured in last post), especially the shape of the reservior that narrowly avoids the electrical motor assembly.
    seems like I've hijacked this thread. haven't i?:D:D

mwstewart and imahorse like this.
  12. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    I just wanted to update this thread. Dr S and Lorenzo helped my Dad and I with a solution to our clutch master cylinder nightmare. The seals in my clutch master cylinder were expanding due to having the incorrect seals for the F1 throwout bearing setup in my car, which is a different vendor's kit that is installed in my converted f430.

I have installed the Dr. S master clutch cylinder that is part of the Dr S kit, which has the correct seals for the "easier" conversion that does not require removing the transmission to replace the throwout bearing.

This new clutch master cylinder with the correct seals feels great and I now don't have to worry about the seals expanding or disintegrating over time like before.
    I called and emailed the vendor who manufactured my conversion kit about our master clutch cylinder problem and I received no response whatsoever... Thankfully Dr S and Lorenzo were willing to help me out so my Dad and I can finally enjoy our converted F430.

The Dr S F430 conversion kit is very impressive, affordable and a big time saver if doing the "easy install". My Dad and I would feel very comfortable buying the Dr S F1 easier kit if we were to do it all over again. We absolutely love our converted, 6 speed gated F430 now that we are back on the road in time for the warm months!

Thank you again DR S!!!! (The S stands for super smart in my book) and Mr. Lorenzo.

13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Happy to hear. Enjoy that beautiful car

mwstewart and beasters like this.
  14. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Aside from being "easier" is there any mechanical/technical advantage to going with the easier kit? I'm at the point where I need to choose between the two and I want to keep it as "factory" as possible but if there's absolutely zero benefit or more complications in the end, there's no point in the added labor.

15. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    You don't have to remove the transmission to replace the throwout bearing with the "easy kit". Saves many hours of labor.