Roma spider | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Roma spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gianfranco341, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M42CMF

M42CMF Rookie

Aug 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Marc Morley-Freer
    FWIW I think the hard top convertibles look great with the roof up, A proper coupe then a drop top, two cars in one. Having a hard top also gives advantages when using things like 'sea sucker racks' to take bikes. (Yup my bike goes on the roof)

Soft tops tend to lose their looks when the soft top is up. For me anyway.

SLViper1 and tbakowsky like this.
  2. SMSD

SMSD Karting

Oct 23, 2022
    Other thing about soft tops is that with the increase in property crimes in most US cities, especially out west, I would worry about the roof being cut.

3. Beezztie

Beezztie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2021
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Reinier
    I wonder if this is a soft top. Many of the convertibles with fabric roofs have metal panels underneath. I for instance had a 991 cab that had, I think magnesium, panels. Fabric only for show in that case.

4. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    Does anyone have any information about the space in the back of a Roma Spider vs space in the Portofino? I have two little kids and that matters.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

456-boy likes this.
  5. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    When you think about little kids in the back, please consider the safety cautions that Ferrari puts into their owner manuals. The vertical clearance for accident/rollbar and also roof interior make it so nearly no one, child in child seat or even really short adults, fits the Ferrari recommendation. The photos of children in car seats in the back of the Cali/Porto series rarely fit within the safety margin Ferrari advises.

PB033 likes this.
  6. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    Thanks mcw. Definitely worth considering that!

Sent from my BBF100-6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the hardtop convertible is more a Mercedes thing, then copied very poorly by BMW. As much as it's practical, I actually prefer the classic look of a fabric top. Agree on earlier comments about the rear seat hoops being less than perfect, but overall this is a gorgeous car.

The Portofino looked bulky to me, because it is difficult to design a beautiful car around a retractable hard top, and the nose was taller than I would have expected, probably to try to balance the ends. The California struggled with its big butt, and the old Lexus SC430 was a design catastrophe.

The current Porsche 911 Targa is the best I've seen among retractable hard tops, but even then that's hardly svelte by 911 standards -- and expensive.

tbakowsky and ryalex like this.
  8. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I thought the top of the 911 targa is actually soft, it does thaecthe nice big rear window behind the hoop
    The SC430 was a one off design, not everyone likes it but the top works well
    The IS convertible looked better but was not a great convertible car
    My LC 500 convertible has a well conceived soft top
    I wanted a hard top vert but this has been trouble free
    Looking forward to seeing a Roma spider parked at a lake front mansion in the burbs North of Chicago

9. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    You might be right - I thought Mercedes first introduced it with the SL (R230) in 2001. I had a 280SL then and still have a 2003 350SL now which, still works like a dream.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There have been convertible hardtops since the 1950s.

11. GTFan

GTFan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 10, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I really like the looks of the Roma coupe. The edges are smooth and the lines flow for me. I haven’t seen the spider in person yet so will hold off on marking any judgements. The lines on the Aston are nice but the interior feels cheap to me. And regarding getting your soft top vandalized, in Denver we don’t worry about that too much because they just steal your entire car. :(

Sushistar, jayhawk1323 and Cigarzman like this.
  12. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I wonder when we will start to see the car in person? The short videos from Ferrari are great but I can't wait to see the walk around videos and the POV videos.

13. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I’ve been told Roma Spider will be presented by dealers in Italy next May

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My point about the soft top is IF you go soft top, you can do more than what they did. Its not sleek enough for me, mainly because of the god awful back jump seats that look like rumble seats from a 30's Ford coupe.

I'm not against soft tops. I've had plenty. But if you go soft top the visual payoff should be there because top up its never very good looking but top down it should be drop dead gorgeous. THAT'S why you buy one!

To look good sitting in something drop dead gorgeous.

15. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    just saw this… funny how the hump doesn’t look nearly as obnoxious with the scale of people walking around it. Also get to see it in black: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp5vZ8_q8oO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Joe_CT likes this.
  16. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You're going to have a hard time walking around, because you're going to see the Roma Spider everywhere as it will outsell California, T and Portofino :)

17. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am 100% convinced you are correct. I believe it will sell very well. Its just a pity they didn't also offer a version without the rear seats.

SAT4RE and 695 like this.
  19. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe that will come in the future as a special edition... fingers crossed.

Alib, SAT4RE and TheMayor like this.
  20. GTFan

GTFan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 10, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I like it in Black as well. I think the spider version would look better if the spoiler could be in the same color as the the rest of the body exterior.

21. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
  22. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
  23. colormered

colormered Rookie

Jan 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Weinraub
    The Roma is too beautiful a car to get 3 model years and then replaced. I likely own one of the high mile Roma's out there having taken delivery in the summer of 2021 and just eclipsed 8000 miles. I love our Rosso Venaccia Roma. So, I am glad that the Roma will get another run as a spider. That said, thinking you're going to get a car in 12-14 months is comical at best. the back log of cars Ferrari has to build for the SF90s spiders, 296gtb/spiders, Parsangue, remaining Roma coupes, and other specialty cars puts Roma spider deliveries at 24 months at best. I would have been much more excited about a hybrid or V12 Roma.