Add-in Nav System for my Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Add-in Nav System for my Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Mar 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Since I plan to do some traveling in my new Stradale, a nav system would seem to be in order. Plus I have another car that I will often drive on trips but lacks a nav system...

So, I'm looking at add-in Nav System options... what's the best option?
    Anybody have any recommendations, warnings, bits of advice, things to look out for?
    (I have built-in nav system in 3 of my cars... but have never used the more portable versions.)

Thanks in advance.

2. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    I have a prtable NAVMAN, its fantastic and can use it in any car, or vehicel, really good results so far, only limitation is memory as large maps need to be laoded individually.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Brian:

Try the Magellan Roadmate 700, it has a built in database of all the US and Canada. It is easy to use and has voice prompts. My company has sold alot of them to different companies and the government (we do not normally carry this item but get for them by requst only). Have not had any comeback, my customer service departments says the have gotten good feedback from the users.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Brian,

Have done A LOT of research to NAV systems. Pioneer is coming out with an all-in-one head unit (in dash unit) that WILL NOT need other outboard components. You see, usually in dash units have OTHER boxes with them that need to mounted elsewhere. If you want single unit, the new Pioneer unit is the only real game in town. For a multi-box unit, the Clarion AutoPC (Joyride) is the best game in town. For hand held units, there is a $1,299 MSRP Magellan RoadMate 700 Portable GPS. The basic deal is that smaller/cheaper units MIGHT need you to use your computer to UPLOAD the route and corresponding maps. personally, prefer the Magellan RoadMate 700 Portable GPS for hand held or, and this is MY personal pick, get an in dash unit that uses CD/DVD map discs. In dash with discs means i can drive ANYWHERE at ANYTIME and ALWAYS be able to have the GPS unit map out where i may suddenly decide to go :)

In my neck of the woods, driving to nowhere special is the best!!! The "problem" is... finding your way back home.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That's cool... but in this case I don't really have a dash to insert it into (Stradale)... so, I'm looking for something I can velcro to the top of the dash...

Agreed... if I do the Players Run or when I drive TX to CA this August, and then cruise around CA randomly... I need all those maps loaded. I'm used to an in-dash DVD-based system... its all there.

Given we agree on that, how does the Magellan Roadmate 700 compare to the better in-dash units. For my other car, I do have the option of in-dash... but would rather just share the unit with my Stradale (I only travel in one at a time)... so, is the Roadmate as good? What are the disadvantages of the Roadmate?

Thanks!

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Brian -

How about a laptop based system?

http://www.delorme.com/earthmate/configlaptop_info.asp

Very portable, very high quality maps, etc. With an AC inverter in the car, you'd be set for long trips. There are even some Bluetooth GPS receivers that eliminate the need for a cable between the laptop and GPS antenna.

-Daniel

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have installed the Garmin iQue 3600 in my 308. Fits nicely onto the center console in a special stand and even stays there for normal (non track) driving. Perfect also from a lighting condition perspective.

I'm using power off the center console to feed it. An external antenna is mounted behind the instrument panel. All black in black so you don't really notice it.

I find the system particularly helpful as with the Ferrari we often meet in places I've never been to and get usually lost. This is a great help.

If you're interested, I can snatch a few pictures.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Brian,

The Magellan Roadmate 700 has LOTS of memory and upoates to their map software is done online diretly into the unit. So it is claimed to be always up to date. Best bet is do some online research and check your local dealer if you have one. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    [Stradale Navigation System Toggle ON]

120 MPH - 130 MPH - 140 MPH - 150 MPH.

BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE!!! Turn in Now!

Apex 20 ft - 10 ft - 5 ft - you're there.

Gas on - track out - track out - curbing 5 ft. - 1ft. - perfect.

80 MPH - 100 MPH...

BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE!!!

[/Stradale Navigation System Toggle OFF]

That's the track version of the software. :)

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    :)

Actually the iQue even shows you your speed. That's quite amazing and it is fairly accurate. I have compared it to the car's speedo and an outside radar device.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I've got a Navman as well. I use it in conjunction with an Ipaq handheld. I thought that this was my best bet for a portable unit. I mainly use it for around town So. CA driving and find it invaluable.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Here a few pics of the iQue 3600 I installed in my 308: The stand on the center console with the power feed from the lighter. The speaker is actually hidden inside the center console underneath the ashtray.
    The GPS antenna is very small and fits nicely behind the instrument panel. I upgraded the RAM and loaded all the states I usually need. iQue also has software for Europe. The accuracy is stupendous btw and the software even switches automatically into day and night modes at dawn and dusk.

13. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    I second the iQue. I have one and have enjoyed it. It doubles as a PDA. It also is at a good price point for the features ($430.00 + Add ons). You will want a remote antenna available for about $20, a car kit (has speaker for advance verbal turn warnings and a mount) and you will also want a memory card if you want to load up a lot of road info for a very long trip) The only caveats are that the battery does not last long (mandating the car adaptor) and it is a first generation model with some people noting more than a few bugs. For more info on potential bugs and other issues see: http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=108 (Note the guys on the pda forum are more nuts about their pda's than we are about Ferrari's)

I purchased mine at http://gpsnow.com/gm3600.htm