Weight Lifting techniques and tips | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Very respectable. I can row 110 for 5 but I have never tried anything near your number.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    In fairness, that was a long time ago. I was 280lbs with less body fat than I have now at 260lbs. Nowadays, I seldom go lower than 10 reps on exercises that involve risk to the shoulder joint, and one-arm row present a certain measure of risk. I have found that strength is very dependent on bodyweight and age. As I get older and less muscular, my strength has diminished.

Skidkid likes this.
  3. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I take my hat off sir.

Yeah, but those 80kg dumbells are just for bragging rights!
    I also stopped caring too much about PR’s or massive weights.
    Losing a lot of strength is not really a concern anymore.
    Had to set my ego aside and accept the reality.
    However, and I’ sure you’ll probably agree, sometimes all the pains and aches of chasing big numbers aren’t worth it anymore!
    I’d rather be fit and in good shape until I draw my last breath.

4. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Five and a half weeks out. Have some stubborn belly fat that just doesn’t want to go away. Changing my macros again today though they will vary daily. Some days as low as only 50 grams of carbs, with some days as high as 300. Fat intake varying between 48-97 grams. Protein staying at 200 with two days at 140. Overall my caloric consumption will be down around 100-400 calories per day from where it sits now (so around 1,800 - 2,200 per day). Also going to add in two days of HIIT cardio. Hopefully this should knock out the remaining fat. Everywhere else, I’m good to go.

Skidkid likes this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Well done. Looking forward to results and maybe a pic or two.

Scott98 likes this.
  6. ~1400 calories plus HIIT.

That's a tough way to live, even without HIIT.

Heck, if I'm not careful I'll hit 1400 calories just falling out of bed.

Good luck to you sir.

Thecadster and Scott98 like this.
  7. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    1,800 - 2,200 calories per day going forward (the macro content varies depending on the day) with HIIT 2 days per week (my non weight training days). I was at 2,250 calories the past week and 2,120 before that.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Remember, he is cutting for a show.

9. Yeah, I know.

I was just trying to point out just how tough prep is for bodybuilding comps. Unlike most sporting events, prep is harder and more important than the actual event.

I knew guys who were eating lettuce mustard sandwiches chased with shots of black coffee during prep. No fun, but serious props to those who can grind through it.

Skidkid likes this.
  10. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Pretty sure that's true of most, if not all, sporting events...

11. Not really.

Take basketball. Yes, you can practice and practice is tough, but if you **** in practice, no big deal, because when it's game time, that's when it counts.

In bodybuilding, in prep if you **** it could mean the death knell come competition day. Too much carbs? Don't lean out enough? Carry too much water? Lack of symmetry? Those are things that are prep dependent. If any of those variables are not dialed in, then comp competition day, it's largely irrelevant no matter how good your posing or music or choreography is.

That's what I mean.

12. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I know what you mean, and I disagree completely. If you don't prep well, you lose. That holds true in basketball and every other sport I can think of.

13. Ok, we'll have just agree to disagree.

Cheers.

JJ likes this.
  14. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That’s disgusting but maybe they liked it. There’s no need to eat anything you don’t like. There are plenty of foods out there from which you can obtain your carbs, fats and protein. Some people tend to think your only options are chicken and rice, rice and chicken or chicken with rice, all served with a side of broccoli. Lol.

15. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    My contribution would be a Tuna and diet coke shake…..
    Yes, it was popular in the 90’s!

16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Don’t drop the protein.
    You never ever do that on a cut/prep.
    Never
    Ever
    Take the calories from fats or carbs; not the protein.

Don’t drop the 400 in a week but spread it out over 2-3 weeks.
    If that’s not working, then remain at a lower carb total per day and ditch the low and high carb days.
    It’s more or less a bit bro science.
    The switching to high and low could be the thing that’s preventing that last bit of fat loss

Would love to see a progress pic as to see where you really are. Just blur your face.

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Genetics obviously, but also body weight.

19. For me it's the number of beers I had the night before.

20. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Can’t argue with that! :)

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I went to whisky neat because it has far fewer calories. :)

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good lift last night. As previously noted, my legs lag everything else but are getting better. PR on my deadlift is 275 but that was a war. I pulled 245 for 2 singles last week and last night I tried a double at 245. The first flew up but the 2nd I got a little cocky, rushed a bit, and ended up slightly out of form. I probably could have pulled it but I have learned, when I am not happy with the form bail out. It is easier to come try it again than to recover from an injury from pushing for something that doesn't make a difference. Despite the energy burn on the missed rep I pulled another 245 x 1. It was a bit of a battle but the form was tight so I kept pushing and sent it. I was very happy about that lift even though it was slow and a battle. The fact that the form stayed tight let me keep pushing to a win even with it being a challenge.

My back is very strong so I never crown over but part way through the lift I realized I could pull the lats/back tighter. That actually raised the bar almost 1" and put me in a better position to finish cleanly. I learn something from almost every lift because I analyze the failure, turning it over in my head again and again until I understand where it broke down.

Yea, I know MANY of you crush those numbers for deadlifts. But you also know that we compete against ourselves, not others.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  24. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The competition isn’t until April 15th. Still dieting…

Thecadster and Skidkid like this.