Painting Mags Recommendation | FerrariChat

Painting Mags Recommendation

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Drew Altemara, Mar 15, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hey Atlanta folks,

Where are you guys having your mags repainted?

This is for a Boxer whose mags have a high concentration of Mg and require special prep. I had Bo do this several years ago and they lasted about 10 years which I think is par for the course. About 5 years ago I had them done by the guys up 75 on their way to Kennesaw that use to do FOA work and they did not last a year.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Drew

2. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Well I had a well known body shop paint my 308 QV 16 inch mags. They didn't prepare the magnesium correctly, if I recall you have to prep the surface with Zinc-Chromate to keep the magnesium from "out-gassing", which is why my wheels need to be repainted again. Wheel Wizard in Chamblee told me they can do mags correctly. I am taking my wheels to them next week!

3. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thanks Mitch.

The guys I used last time did not prep with the Zinc Chromate as well and you know what happens.

If you don't mind, I may shoot you a PM in a couple of weeks to see how it is going but this is a great lead.

Drew

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In 2016 I had the wheels on my 328 painted in a gold color at Metro Wheels in Marietta, and they still look great after over 6 years. I know my wheels have some magnesium in them but I don't know how much. I trust Terry and his guys at Metro Wheels and you should consider them.

https://www.metrowheels.net/

5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thanks Jim,

Another good lead.

I'll talk to both.

The critical element is experience with early "magnesium" wheels and the prep by using zinc-chromate.

Good to hear from you BTW.

Drew

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi Drew, yes absolutely. The prep is crucial. You are welcome to reach out anytime! :)

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the place up 75......... Magnum Collision ? the owners sold out and i haven't heard anything good since. i don't think FOA uses them still

i had metro wheels refinish my 575 modulars. they took forever but did a great job

bo pirkles painter does some work at buckhead collision but is sorta retired. you'd have to call norman and ask

8. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thanks Henry,

Magnum Collison was the last to paint my mags and they started to bubble after 6 months. I think they tried but were not familiar with the early porous Ferrari mags so I am ruling them out.

I do not know Norman but would love to contact him. Do you have any contact information? Full name, place of employment, telephone number etc to get me started. Please PM me if you do and thanks for the suggestion.

I think the trick to getting these done right is to find someone who has experience with the older Ferrari mags used on the Daytona and Boxer.

Drew

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  10. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Drew, Magnum Collision is who painted my 308 QV wheels incorrectly.

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what paint will you be using?