Washington vehicle registration question | FerrariChat

Washington vehicle registration question

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Rory J, Mar 19, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    #1 Rory J, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    I'm probably going to have to speak with the Washington DOL to get an official answer on this, but thought I'd try here first in case someone has experience.

My father has a C4 Corvette convertible (triple black/6-sp) that he hasn't been driving much and he's offered to let me use it while I have an open garage space after selling a weekend toy. I am a WA state resident, my father is an Arizona resident with AZ driver's license, and this car is kept with some of his other cars at one of his California homes. The car is currently on non-operational status with the CA DMV (he was a full-time CA resident at time of purchase) and is on a collector-car insurance policy in CA. It's currently driven a few times a year with temp moving permits when he's in CA.

The plan would be for my parents to road trip the car from CA on a temp permit, leaving the car with me after their visit and flying back home. Again, this is not a gift -- I would eventually return the car after I've found my next weekend toy. I doubt that I would be using this car much longer than a year or so.

Options as I see them seem to be:

1) My father registers the car on collector plates in WA, using my address as if this were a secondary home. (My parents do spend a couple weeks a year with me at my home and I assume my father would not need a WA driver's license?) He'd open a new collector car insurance policy in WA and add me as a driver.

2) We do a title transfer where he gifts the car to me in WA. According to the DOL website, I would not have to pay sales tax, just a title transfer fee plus the one-time $50 collector car license plate fee. I'd also have to add it to my collector car insurance policy, which wouldn't cost much -- it's not an expensive car. California has a similar no-tax policy for transferring cars between family members, so when the car goes back to him, it shouldn't cost much. Two things with this: I'm not sure he's willing to let the car out of his ownership and he's the original owner, so this method would also add owners to the car's history. He may also lose use of the car's original period-correct license plate which probably isn't a huge deal, but some Californians like seeing original CA plates.

Does anyone have experience with a similar issue and have a different option? If not, any thoughts on the options above?

If it's too complicated or expensive we'll just forget it, but this is a somewhat sentimental car to me (I was 10 years old when he bought it and have fond memories). I'll likely never own a Corvette and I'd enjoy spending some time with it. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would argue for #1. You do not need to reside in the state where a car is registered-- lots of people have cars registered at second homes where they do not reside. Pretty straightforward, and once he sees how much cheaper the insurance and registration is in Washington, along with no smog checks, etc, he will never register it in California again.

Rory J and Texas Forever like this.
  3. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Depending on how much you want to drive it in Washington, you could continue to use it with Washington temp plates. If it's just light usage, that might be an alternative. It could probably even stay licensed and registered in California and insured under your fathers policy. You can work out who pays the insurance with him.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy on the internet, so don't stake your life on this opinion. But I have used temp plates in the past and it was a pretty easy option.

https://apps.oria.wa.gov/permithandbook/permitdetail/186

Rory J likes this.
  4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    He can easily register it in WA without a WA driver's license. I'm in Vancouver Canada and have a property in WA and register boats and cars in WA all the time without a WA DL.

Rory J likes this.
  5. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Unfortunately some of them are conflicting with what the DOL has just told me.

The clerk I spoke with said you cannot register a car in Washington without having a drivers license here. The single exception is called a "dual registration." In my case, this would require paying registration in both CA and WA, plus WA sales tax. Below is the info she sent me in email after the phone call. I know I don't always get the right answer from the DOL the first time, so I may just have to try again. It seems like this shouldn't be such a big hassle and expense just to use a car in another state for a year.

DUAL REGISTRATION

If you have a primary residence outside of Washington State, and vehicle registration is required in that state, and have a residence in Washington and use your vehicle in a manner that requires Washington registration, then your vehicle must be licensed in both states at the same time.

You will not be required to have a driver license in Washington State, unless Washington is your primary residence.

In order to dual register your vehicle in Washington, the following is required:

1)Fill out and have notarized/certified, by all registered owners, a Vehicle Title Application.
    2)A Primary Residence Address Exception form.
    3)A copy of the current valid out of state registration.
    4)A copy of the out of state title (front and back).
    5)If you do not have proof of sales or use tax paid in Washington State, then you will need to contact the Department of Revenue at 800-647-7706, for a determination of use tax liability.
    6)U.S. Customs documents, if the vehicle is registered outside of the United States.
    You must have customs documents or Department of Defense forms. These documents must:
    Include the year, make, and VIN of the vehicle.
    Be From U.S. Customs, not from a brokerage or foreign customs office.
    Be signed and stamped by Customs.
    7)Complete an Odometer Disclosure Statement (if the vehicle is 2011 or newer and less than 20 years old) on the title. If the title is lost, an odometer disclosure form can be picked up from any Vehicle Licensing Office or car dealership.

This paperwork can be mailed or brought to any Vehicle Licensing Office in Washington to register the vehicle. You will need to contact the licensing office for the fees

6. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Thanks, this sounds pretty much like what my father is already doing in CA since he doesn't drive the car much. Could be an option, but does add some hassle.

7. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Are you asked for your driver's license info when you register here? I wonder why DOL is giving me such a runaround?

8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I use an agent and not DOL directly. Had no problem showing my Canadian license. Arizona on the other hand made me get a license there.

9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I have wondered about this in the past. What would you do if you live in Washington, and own a condo in Hawaii where you have a car. Would you have to register the car in Washington, and what happens when you have to take it through the DEQ to get the tags updated?

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #10 donv, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    The car is supposed to be registered where the car is, not necessarily where you live. So in your example, what you are supposed to do is register it in Hawaii.

Since I live in one of the best states in the country to register a car, I prefer to keep my cars registered in Oregon.

I don't know what Washington's emissions testing requirements are, but in Oregon there are a number of places where emissions testing is not required, so if you can register the car there it is no issue. Or if it is 25 years old.

You can certainly register a car in California without a California driver's license, because I have done it before... to my regret.

Honestly, to the OP, I would think the easiest path would be to properly register the car in California, and just drive it in Washington on the California plates. Anything else is going to be a lot of work, and in the grand scheme of things, for minimal savings.

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Someone once tried to convince me that if I lived in WA and had a car NY, I would have to bring the car back to WA for yearly inspections.

12. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    donv likes this.
  13. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Correct, no emissions or inspections anywhere in Washington. And a one-time $50 collector car registration fee for plates -- so much better than my CA days and just one of the reasons I love living here.

Looks like this form may be the secret: https://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420004.html

It allows for not having a primary WA residence (and presumably license) for legitimate reasons. I'll try to remember to post the resolution here, if I'm able to make this happen. I am disappointed that Washington doesn't make this easier. Why wouldn't they want my title and registration money? Who cares if the car's owner doesn't have a license here as long as it's insured here and tagged to a valid address?

donv likes this.
  14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There you go. That is the secret-- since the car will be residing in Washington, it is required to be registered in Washington, which is one of the exclusions allowed. Good find!

Rory J likes this.
  15. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Having a Canadian driver's license might have automatically given me one of the exemptions.

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The only exemption that you need is that the car is required to be registered in Washington. If it spends more than a certain amount of time per year (not sure what that figure is for Washington-- most states it is 30 or 60 days), then it is required to be registered in Washington. All good.

max930 likes this.
  17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is kind of like the Oregon SP plate. Everyone gets hung up on the "special interest" part and doesn't read the line which says "Or is older than 25 years" and requires nothing else.

18. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I think you just have to register it as the "registered owner" with your wa address on the left side and your dad as the "legal owner" with his address on the right side as if you got a loan from him to buy it and everything should be fine.

19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Under WA law Canadians have a year before they need to register in the state. I bought two Excursions new there, and a few other cars and a boat. All registered in WA showing my CDN license. Didn't look at the law, just assuming since I wasn't technically a WA resident. On a non-immigration visa and needed to register the cars there. It was easy, they didn't ask any questions. Nor blink with my CDN license. The Ford dealer has a DOL agent for registration inside.

20. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    If you are anywhere close to Yakima, the owner of Cascade Licensing in Union Gap is one of the most knowledgable license people in the state and if he doesn't have the answer he has the number of the person in Olympia who does on speed dial on his phone.

I'm with those who believe that all your dad has to do is walk in a license office with his title and tell them that he is moving the car here to this state, and that he intends to use it in this state. Having the car physically sitting out in front of the license office should answer any questions. Very simply saying that he wants to move the car to your residence so he has his own car to drive when he flys up and stays with you is all that should have to be said. If he feels that transferring it to you as gifting it to you is a better option that works too with both of you standing there in the license office.

bjwhite and Willl like this.
  21. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    The end result of this was simply keeping the car registered in CA after all. WA DOL would not issue a plate to a non-WA resident, despite the existence of a non-resident exemption form. You would think they'd just take our money, but nope!

I don't plan on having the car here more than a year, it isn't a daily driver, and I'm not the owner, so I don't foresee any issues running around on CA plates.

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Amazing. I can tell you with certainty that the inverse is true-- California is happy to take your money.

23. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm surprised they didn't just take the money. I registered two Excursions, a 930, a few 928s, my 500SL, a boat, and a Rolls Royce. All on my CDN license. No paperwork other than the vehicle registration stuff. Arizona was a pain because they wanted me to get their license and turn in my CDN id.

24. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    I'd say that your key is that the car won't see enough road use on a steady basis. If your son drove it to a local cars and coffee every week and it got considered to be a local car with out of state plates that might be an issue.

25. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Actually, it won't be an issue because the state won't allow WA plates on it.