Why do other drivers try to race me??? | FerrariChat

Why do other drivers try to race me???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jor, Mar 24, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jor

Jor Rookie

Mar 20, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Teasley
    Why is it everytime I drive my Porsche or Ferrari...I have a Mustang or Dodge or better yet a corolla try to race me? I don't street race...I typically move over and let them go by. I am sure they brag how they beat a Porsche or Ferrari.

Anyone else experience this?

TheMayor, c8spidey, FLGT and 2 others like this.
  2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Multiple times. Mostly younger dudes just trying to see if they will get a rise out of you and yes, to be able to tell their buddies that they dusted a Ferrari today. I actually have a young man who drives a Subaru something or other that hunts me down and can't wait to pass me, which I think is hilarious and I always duck down in embarrassment when he get along side of me. God bless 'em! :)

rampante550, Dane, Jor and 1 other person like this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Whenever I encounter this type situation, I always ask myself, what do I get out of this? The answer is absolutely nothing - I never take the bait.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rampante550, Doug., Dane and 2 others like this.
  4. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Low class, immature morons who need to "best" others any way possible in order to feel good about themselves. It happens occasionally and they are always 20-somethings who spend all their money on cars to serve as a proxy for their egos. I completely ignore them.

Todd308TR, Doug., Dane and 1 other person like this.
  5. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    In 5+ years I've never had anyone act like they want to race while in the 355. Other cars pacing/following me on the highway happens regularly. Otherwise, closest I've come is some rednecks in a truck yelling at me to "rip it" at a stop light in town, lol.

In my old 911, years ago had a guy in BMW want to race/play once, and that's it in 12 years with that car and I drive it regularly.

Jor and Texas Forever like this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm an idiot so just for the fun of it will downshift and rip through 2nd and 3rd if it's wide open road and no traffic.

Maybe some want to say they beat a Ferrari but in my experience they just want to hear the car (usually smiles and thumbs up)

bamaman, 458Ottawa, AD211 and 3 others like this.
  7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Motorcycle guys are the worst about this

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I think often it is just other folks just want to hear the Ferrari sound and see a Ferrari move; I'm not sure they are always out to prove they are faster.

I get it occasionally with my 308. I am sure their assumption is that since it is a Ferrari it must be fast. I get a lot of thumbs up and occasionally will have someone roll down their window and gush about how much they like my car. When the light changes, sometimes I will oblige them by bringing it closer to redline before shifting but if it's an obvious challenge to race I don't take the bait.

Il Tifoso, Dane and Ivan Drago like this.
  9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    One of the reasons to sell my Evo VIII was I simply couldn't just drive around without some idiot trying to race me EVERYWHERE.

Not enjoyable and I wish that car was invisible.

AD211 likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When Testarossas first came out it had been a long dry spell in the USA for performance cars. They were highly publicized and when they first came out everyone in a sports car or performance car wanted to race just to see one go. I was driving them several times a week at the time and at nearly every stoplight it was the same thing. No one kept up.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    When I had the Maranello, biggest problem was idiots taking pictures while changing lanes.

Funny, last year, I drove a 458 from NC to St. Pete. Nobody noticed! It was like I was invisible. Granted, the car was blue. Maybe the newer cars all look so much alike, nobody cares anymore.

020147, rampante550, Doug. and 2 others like this.
  12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    F40's were like that when new. With their limited visibility it was a little dangerous.

When driving a 288 they were mostly ignored. Once in a while someone would go ape **** but mostly they were ignored.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    And that is exactly the reason I prefer blu for my Ferrari. I don't want to be noticed. You confirmed my purpose.

Dane, Dewinator and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It works. I also wonder if the thrill is gone. There are so many more exotic cars today. Plus, everybody is watching their phone, not what is going on around them.

26street, Bullfighter and SCantera like this.
  15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Out here in California there are Teslas at every light. Those will win the stoplight drag race most of the time, certainly against older Ferraris and Porsches.

My 911 is old (964) so I almost never get raced.

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Yes this is at least once a week. Usually a Honda or Subaru with loud fart can exhaust. I usually see them building up speed for a while in my rear view before they triumphantly pass me. I also get the jacked up truck roar past me usually with a big black cloud of exhaust.

I tell you what though, I just got a lambo and murdered out the windows and its real nice as you don't have to engage with these clowns at stop lights. I never liked the tinted look on F or P cars but this has me rethinking as it has been a huge benefit.

AD211 and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have tried that; it didn’t work. haha. That being said I do live in a small area and Italian cars are rare, they gotta take a look I guess; than just can’t contain their excitement and step on the gas peddle. What my bigger problem has been is they sit in my blind spot or just half way behind the length of the 458(2 lane road), ie; their bumper would be perpendicular/parallel to my rear tire or my rear bumper. I think they are either listening to the engine or taking pictures?; it can be a little nerve racking sometimes but, I get it they are cool cars to others too not just me. :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    With modern exotics all converging on the same general appearance (from Ferrari to Corvette), it seems the most eye-catching exotics are now the old 308s and Testarossas.

Jor and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've said for years a T-Rex is probably the most recognizable Ferrari, even more so than an F-40. When you see a T-Rex, there is no doubt you are looking at a Ferrari.

20. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Everyone just lighten up: most times they are young stags with a passion for motors like we have, but on a budget. Can't fault them for that. They just want a story to tell their friends - in the end we all share the same passion, or else we wouldn't be in a Ferrari.

MacNugget, gabf1, jjtjr and 4 others like this.
  21. Kaylie

Kaylie Rookie

Jan 25, 2023
    AD211 and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I didn't mind it until the numnuts started getting out of their lane.

gilly6993 likes this.
  23. Kaylie

Kaylie Rookie

Jan 25, 2023
    This guy eventually stuck half his body out to get a shot but I had to leave at that point so couldn’t get the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    #24 Dane, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    My ‘78 GTS looks fast for modern standards, but now, 800-1000 hp isn’t a challenge even in a Jeep.

Some tail because that’s just who they are…others do it for whatever reasons I can’t accurately assess.

Others, like this gentleman, follow, I believe, just to have a look,

I’m just out to exercise the old girl with a steady highway pace of 3100 revs at 65 mph…in the right lane.

The VINTAGE plate brings, I believe, a special type of respect and understanding.

Attached Files:

Schultz, Il Tifoso and Doug. like this.
  25. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Boys will be boys, most men don't do dumb **** like that.

Dane likes this.