Targa Top Project = Complete | FerrariChat

Targa Top Project = Complete

Discussion in '308/328' started by eric lipper, Mar 24, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    I still have my original top so don't think I have gone nuts. I bought a used targa top because I did not want to compromise my original top. I always liked having a color matched top on the car because I think it looks better. My 1986 328 had the same thing but when I bought that top it came from Ferrari of Houston new and cost about $1500. I bought an early 308 top on Ebay for about $2000 only to find out that early windshield headers are different than the later 328 headers. After lots of fiberglass grinding and some other work it finally turned out better than I expected. Attached are some pictures.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice collection in that garage!

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very nice Eric! I did the same thing many years ago. Bought an extra top and painted it, I still have the originals one and the Saratoga lexan top as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The red collection, like the mix of different cars

5. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
  6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I did that too with a second targa... love the look. For awhile, I also wore an extra set of rear quarter louvers I had modified to add to the GTB look, but I've since gone back to my originals.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
  8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I like the colour coded top - Never been a fan of GTB window louvres on a GTS though (I think it's just a case that, having seen so many GTS' with the standard louvres over the years, the GTB louvres on a GTS just look wrong to me)

Because of the lip on the windscreen (windshield ) top rail, the colour coded top doesn't work quite as well at making the 308/328 GTS replicate the hardtop models, as colour coded tops on the 348 TS'/GTS' and 355 GTS' do (there's no lip on the 348/355 top rail).

I think they still look better than the factory black grained tops do though.

On the down side, if I have my painted top behind the seat whilst out and about, I have to have my drivers seat angled slightly more upright than I'd really like, to prevent the seat rubbing against the targa top cover, which in turn rubs against the painted finish of the top (the joys of being a 6' 2" 328 GTS owner :rolleyes: )

I think if I had the factory finish top behind the seats, then the driver's seat resting against the cover and the roof would bother me a lot less (apart from the risk of wearing through the cover - I had to buy a new one, as it was missing from my car, and it wasn't cheap)

9. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    I think it would look better if you painted the B pillar black like a GTB

Du_Man likes this.
  10. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    The hardest part of this project was turning an early 308 top into a 328 top. If anyone wants to make an early 308 top fit a 328 it can be done but it takes a fair amount of adjustment to the header side of the targa.

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I agree with you... that's why I've since gone back to my originals. ;)

12. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I had my Targa top cover internally lined with a soft felt like material in order not to have it scratch my painted Targa top,,
    Been like that since 2011 and it still looks fine.

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I've weighed up lining the targa top cover with a soft material, or just placing a soft flannelette sheet over the targa top before fitting the cover, to protect the painted finish on the targa top.

Whenever possible, I drive the car without the targa top in the car, so I can angle the driver's seat further back, to be perfectly comfortably (the fore-aft position stays the same - I'm @ 6'2", and have the seat set with around 2 positions to go for the seat to be fully back), and if the top's not in the car, neither is the cover, because, with the windows down, it can flap around a bit as the wind gets beneath it, which gets annoying)