Helicopter & VTOL stuff - news, vids, photos | FerrariChat

Helicopter & VTOL stuff - news, vids, photos

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BJK, Mar 19, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #2 BJK, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    Marine's New Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion

3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The VH-92s look more like the HH-3 than I imagined that they would.

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Any thoughts on Sikorsky's future after losing the contract to Bell for the next Army helo?

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Layoffs. boom or bust industry. all about the contracts.

BOOM - Jan.'23 - Sikorsky celebrates 5,000 Black Hawk helicopter deliveries
    that's a LOT of helicopters ..... https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/fairfield-county/sikorsky-celebrates-5000-black-hawk-helicopter-100-anniversary/520-2494b063-4dc5-47eb-925e-b936dd829169

BUST - March '23 - Sikorsky begins layoffs in CT in advance of decision on Army contract
    https://www.ctinsider.com/business/article/sikorsky-stratford-ct-army-black-hawk-lockheed-17849210.php

davem likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    davem likes this.
  8. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Presumably they will win the FARA contract. Its a shame the US makers have almost completely ceded the commercial market to the Europeans.

Sikorsky also didn’t lay off a significant portion of their workforce, it was more of a good excuse to clean out some poor performers.

davem likes this.
  9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Was thinking Sikorsky should get into unmanned drones possibly

10. tgc5874

tgc5874 Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
    BJK and Jaguar36 like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    cool. were you signaling them? did they think you were going to jump? :eek: :D

Cougar Helicopters, Inc.
    https://www.cougar.ca/search-and-rescue.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. tgc5874

tgc5874 Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
  13. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    East Khowst Choppers. Khowst Province, Afghanistan.

It is still one of my favorite all time patches even among my Apache patches.

The 10th Mountain Blackhawk crews completed the ensemble.

Attached Files:

BJK, tritone and NYC Fred like this.
  14. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    #17 Dane, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Looking north from Jalalabad, Afghanistan. OEF VI.

Though beautiful, it is still my least favorite place. Hot. Humid. Dangerous.

Attached Files:

Texas Forever, BJK and NYC Fred like this.
  15. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My first helicopter flight was in a 47 on a sightseeing trip over Miami in 1969. I sat on one side of the pilot, and my cousin sat on the other side. I remember that they had just finished installing artificial turf in the Orange Bowl and they were painting the lines.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bad crash out of Fort Campbell with two HH-60s and nine crewmembers lost. Sounds like a mid-air on an NVG training mission.

18. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    I read about that after our flight crew briefing today and then immediately went and flew for 5.2hrs of TF low level. You feel really bad for those guys but aviators have to be really good at compartmentalization...you have to dig in and get right back to work. It's a tough business sometimes and suffering losses is never easy.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, buried a lot of friends during my career.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just curious because I know its a dangerous business. Have a guess percent wise the ratio of accident vs combat? I guess I should say non theater accident because I consider that different.

Long story but had a number of SEAL friends. Was surprised how big the loss from training accidents was.

21. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    #24 Dane, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    I’m deeply sorry, Terry. Though I can’t ever understand your feelings, I believe, in a sense, I can perhaps relate. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but the following are my notable experiences:

(1) Feb 2001. Two Blackhawks crashed on the north side of Oahu. One slinging a HMMWV collided with another. The slung HMMWV struck the other -60. Six killed. Contributing factor was low ceilings at night under goggles. I was simply working the BDE TOC that night.

(2) May 2006. Just north of Jalalabad. (during my first of two years there). A Chinook crashes during an NVG resupply mission. It was windy as hell. The crew had no choice but to hover aft in an attempt to get the rear mains into the side of this mountainside pad…10 dead one of who was the Soldiers’ battalion commander who went to just be with his guys. I still remember the gun tape of the screams and ensuing blaze of that CH rolling down the mountainside.

(3) July 2006. An Apache crashes during a QRF response to a Kandahar rocket attack (still during my first year there). My friend, CW3 Timmy Flanigan, was killed. His CPG lost his arm. We watched via either sat’ or high altitude surveillance (I don’t know) as he low crawled away from the wreckage…with one arm.

(4) Nov 2014. A Longbow crashes just south of Gowen Field near Boise. My friend, CW4 “Trim” Gearhart, and his CPG, who I did not know, were killed. It was a f—-ing APART checkride. A f—-ing checkride.

(5) May 2021. A Blackhawk crashes northeast of Boise killing three. Contributing factor was deteriorating mountain weather.

During our initial brief in Afghanistan in 2006, we were told by the outgoing Sabre 6 and crews that hostile fire wasn’t going to get us. Weather and terrain should be our main concerns. I still believe this to be true. However, Sabre 6 added, “To you lift pilots, don’t you EVER leave your gun (Apache) cover…”). The “Lone Survivor” movie portion of those two Apaches breaking to the west is 110% INACCURATE.

The photos are from Tim’s memorial and our formation during his fly over; the f—-ing volleyball court was the only place we could fit so many people.

Attached Files:

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I lose it every time I see the missing man formation.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dane likes this.