Better than stock brake pads | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Better than stock brake pads

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kidblast, Apr 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I think I’ll try Padgid RS29’s. They supersede the RS19.

2. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Are you telling me that if you approach a 50 mph corner with a speed of 100 mph will not require more braking than if you go at 90mph? Assuming same car and same conditions of course. Of course you can be heavy on brakes when you’re slow, like in a case if you’re taking a 50mph at 40mph, or when you’re coasting instead of braking at optimal distance.

3. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    You can be faster if you brake earlier and less. It's all about the average speed through the corner. But I am not here to argue with you and I have nothing to prove. Too old for that.. I started drinking for the night so I'll put the phone down...
    Cheers!

BrettC likes this.
  4. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I have lots of respect for Mario Andretti, met him a few times at the track when he accompanied Marco, during his early racing days. He is one of my favorite driver of all time. However, I don’t believe the real Mario Andretti would agree.
    No that’s not the case. If you brake less and not slow enough for a corner you either go off, or scrub speed other way by going sideways, etc. the only reason that technique work is if you don’t go into the corner fast enough in the first place.

I don’t drink alcohol anymore, so drink double for me!

5. Bebs

Bebs Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2010
    London, UK
    I have these on my car. Almost went through the windscreen the first time I drove it after they were fitted! HUGE difference - feels like much larger discs & pads. However, they are very noisy.

6. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Care to share any information for anyone interested in purchasing?

Bebs likes this.
  7. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    How do we got them?

8. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Not sure what you're talking about.

Faster drivers (speaking from a track lap time and straight line trap speed perspective) will put more thermal energy into the braking systems than slower drivers. They will corner at/closer to the limit in corners and thus have significantly more speed to scrub at the end of the straights because their corner exit speed will be much greater.

Yes, a slower driver may over-slow the car into corners, putting more energy in, but the faster driver will reach a higher speed, which inputs more energy still. Input energy squares with speed.

Think of it this way:
    Corner 1: 60mph corner (if driven at the limit of adhesion)
    Straight with speed of 130 mph if previous corner is perfect
    Corner 2: 40mph corner (at limit of adhesion)

Fast driver takes corner 1 at 60mph, hits 130mph, brakes to 40mph at entry to corner 2. Net energy input to the brakes (assuming zero road friction) is 2.204 MJ.

Slower driver takes corner 1 at 50mph, hits 115mph, brakes to 30mph at entry to corner 2. Net energy input to the brakes (assuming zero road friction) is 1.785 MJ, 23% less.

9. Bebs

Bebs Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2010
    London, UK
    Call AV Engineering in the UK. I’m sure Aldous will post pads to the US.

10. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Vegas CS likes this.
  11. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    whatever...

12. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Just bought some Pagid RSL29’s. Will report back with results.

rotaryrocket7 likes this.
  13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Most likely not. I had inquired about these pads a couple years ago, but in the same thread someone called Aldous ****** or something, so he stopped selling them anywhere but his shop.

Bebs likes this.
  14. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    #39 Vegas CS, Jul 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    These pads SCREAM at slow speed stops. Definitely a racing brake pad. High dust and high squeeling. Before anyone asks....yes....I bed them in properly. About to go on my 2 month work trip abroad, will be changing them out when I return home, and putting them in the classifieds if anyone will want cheap race pads in Sept.

Anyone try Girodisc's Magic Pads?

15. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    I swear by Powerstop Track Day pads. They are cheap and don't last an exceptionally long time when driven hard, but are relatively gentle on rotors and work very well for aggressive road driving. Lots of dust as a downside (as with any performance pad).

F430 steel caliper pad is PST-1053 front/rear ($96/axle set on RockAuto).

16. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I want to try the Ferodo DS Performance pads. Where are you guys getting them from? Most UK stores have them for ~£180 but Superformance has them for £114. I’ve searched and cannot find a U.S. supplier.

17. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Are you using it strictly for street? Are you using steel brakes or carbon? If all the above, I would try stoptech sport pads. They dust a lot but pretty good for street and occasional weekend warrior. If you want more for track I would choose endless me20, they generally don’t squeal and dust but if you use it majority on the street it will eat rotors.

Need4Spd likes this.
  18. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I ripped through EBC Yellows at watkins Glen. Not good enough for aggressive track sessions.

Switching to EBC Blues and will report back. So far they seem to have an excellent bite.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app