Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 45 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #1101 SoCal to az, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t think they need help attracting new clients because of the wait lists that you see. I just think what I really like about Patek is there so unpredictable. They came out with the pilot a few years ago and now this. All their watches are just so different and there’s a little something for everyone. This goes back to what they say they don’t want one watch to be their star a.k.a. the Royal Oak by Audemars.

2. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I do wonder will the new younger generation still want a Patek dress watch. Patek is very strong, but I can see other brands having a hard time, such as Breguet and Blancpain. I asked my SA to let me know when they get a 6007 so I can come see it.

3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There is a very small segment relatively speaking of people who like to wear mechanical watches. Its just not hip anymore simply because you use your iPhone to tell time. So the idea that the appeal for mechanical watches will continue to diminish is not a outlandish hypothesis. But it just hasn't happened. The demise was predicted when quartz watches came to be - everyone thought mechanical watches were going to die and yet here we are.

I think the 6007 is a very neat and interesting watch but I have no interest in it not because I dont like it, at 40mm its just too small for me. I prefer 42 (41 also is acceptable)- this is just my personal preference for a larger sized watch for my frame.

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
  5. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    That 6300/403G gets a oomph from me. Not my cup of tea and I could never pull that off but kudos to whomever can.

6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think the world is a better place because this watch exists. I think it’s a technical masterpiece, they will make a handful, list price probably a couple of million dollars. If I was worth many billion and had a 600 Patek Philippe watch collection it would be fun to have one for the cabinet. I don’t think we’ll ever see anyone out to dinner wearing one.

7. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    If I am not mistaken, if you want the 600 line you have to "apply" and be approved. if so, I have a feeling that application will be harder than applying for the Centurian card.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Most grand complications are application pieces. They don’t just sell to anyone. My 5270 was an application piece and that’s a relatively tame GC. You have to work your way up to that. Zero chance they sell you that without some serious history.

9. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    5224 for me. I like the direction Patek is going with the bigger sizes, gives them more real estate to work with, movement wise.

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I love the 42mm size and the 5224 is a good looking piece for sure. Love the gold and blue contrast.

ronfrohock likes this.
  11. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    3’860’000 swiss francs for 6300/403G ;)

roma1280 likes this.
  12. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Holly crap! And I thought my Daytona SP3 was expensive…

But I fully agree with roma1280’s comment.

roma1280 likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I currently have a 5524. I really like the new green 5294. In an ideal world Id have both but honestly Im just not keen on having 30 watches that just sit- if Im gonna do that, Im going to only buy collectibles like minute repeaters etc. These are "pedestrian" regular production watches so it makes sense to keep these to what you will actually wear. Of the current crop of releases, I like the 5294 the best, 5968r next but really want the 5270p green which will arrive something next year.

So would you swap the 5524 (left) for the 5294 (right)?
    Keep 5524 as I can change straps and its more functional?
    Or keep both?

Struggling what to do long term.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

roma1280 likes this.
  14. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    I would keep 5524, more useful, more legible and prettier, and add 5370p to the collection, same size as 5270 and more interesting complication. My 2 cents, and not my money:D

poljav, SoCal to az and JHNurse like this.
  15. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    Agreed. The dial on the 5524 is much more legible. Not a fan of covering up the 12 with a sub-dial. That area of the watch face is really grounding for my eyes. My opinion….

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

poljav, Roman456 and SoCal to az like this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If only they made a 5524 in green.....:)

roma1280 likes this.
  17. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think I will keep my 5524. I agree on the unfortunate sub dial over the 12.

poljav, roma1280 and JHNurse like this.
  18. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Are you left handed or right handed? :p

19. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    I'd have to agree, keep the 5524. IMO much cleaner look, sometimes less is more and more is just more. The adjusters on the left makes it unique when the 5524 gets discontinued, which I think PP will do, now that they have the 5924. Also, at some point the 5924 will be offered in Rose Gold so that might solve the dilemma.

But I'm biased:D

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I was out at dinner last night with my wife. I look over and notice a nice watch. What do you know, a 5711 Tiffany. If it’s a real one then awesome this guy was wearing it out. But I have to say (kind of dark) that Tiffany blue looked a little off. Not as bright as it appears in photos. If it was a replica, probably been better if they chose the standard factory blue, gray or white dial.
    If if was a real one then great seeing one in person.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqdB0CLrPC6/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Well/. My timing was off but information was correct.
    See the post above- whole new line coming this year.

22. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    This should be interesting. I will be eagerly waiting.

23. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain