Brake Fluid Reservoir Cap Recall at Ferrari Silicon Valley? | FerrariChat

Brake Fluid Reservoir Cap Recall at Ferrari Silicon Valley?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by GogglesPisano, Feb 15, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thinking about getting around to doing my brake fluid cap recall on my F430 but haven't had any experience with FSV. Figured I might as well get my oil changed while I'm there.

Any feedback on the experience from "older" model owners? Worth getting the oil change there as well or is it time consuming and overpriced? Hopefully the cap update is something they do while you wait?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is a brake fluid reservoir cap recall ?
    What is wrong with this $2 part that is used over 10,000,000 times by all European cars?

3. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes. For basically every Ferrari made for the last 30 years or something like that.

4. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Ive brought my Scud there for service as well as to replace the f1 actuator and accumulator under warranty. Sarah (SA) and Ian (tech) have taken great care of me in the past. My scud will be going there for the brake fluid cap recall and oil change as well.

GogglesPisano likes this.
  5. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I don't want to take my car to SVF just for a brake fluid reservoir cap. When I called about just picking up the cap, they said no you need to bring the car in. I was also asked if I needed any other work done. I told the person no. The other option is to buy the cap which I believe is around $40 and change it yourself. The only issue with this approach is that on Ferrari records it will still show the car hasn't had the recall done. I have no plans on selling my car so does it really matter? hmm...

SonomaRik likes this.
  6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    My Portofino needed a cap and a reprogramming for the brake warning message. The reprogramming wasn't available yet,so the service manager Alto gave me the cap. When the reprogramming is available,I will have it done at the next service.

7. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    Had my recall done there. Easy and fast. Took a test drive while I was waiting. Alto and team were great!

8. hkg1997

hkg1997 Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    SF Bay area
    I also had this recall done on my FF at FSV few weeks ago while doing my annual service.

9. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    How quick are they with the annual service? Few hours, a day?

10. hkg1997

hkg1997 Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    SF Bay area
    It took them 4 days.

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Got a couple cars taken care of last week. Easy peasy. Took a few hours and had the car back later that afternoon.

boostedt0y and GogglesPisano like this.
  12. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    My Scud is with SVF for its annual service as well as the brake recall which includes programming and the new cap.

13. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What’s the going rate for the yearly on a 430 at SVF if you don’t mind me asking? Used the app to try and schedule and appointment, but I feel like that’s worthless as nobody has contacted me yet. I’m not in a hurry so I’ll just call them next week.

14. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    It’s about $1300ish for the annual service. Sarah is one of the SA there and she’s been great. Just give them a call.

15. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks. I’ll give her a call.

boostedt0y likes this.
  16. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just set up my service through Alto (Sarah was out). They mentioned they had plenty of caps in stock in case anybody else is interested.

Any idea if they offer benefits for FOC or FCOA members?

17. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    i’m not sure re the benefits. I actually forgot to ask about that. Please report back if you do bring it up.

18. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
  19. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    also, I’d be curious to see if the brake cap reservoir makes a difference on your car. Since my first day of ownership, the scuds brake pedal has always been a bit spongy despite changing out the lines to stainless steel and multiple flushes using high quality brake fluid using my motiv power bleeder. However, that all changed with the new brake cap. The brake pedal is now rock solid.

the tech I worked with said he did not do anything other than install the new cap which leads me to believe my old cap must have not been sealing properly leading to the spongy brake pedal.

20. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’ll be sure to report back.

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Very interesting. The new cap made no difference with my Portofino.

boostedt0y likes this.
  22. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    I would assume so given the cap on your portofino is relatively new compared to my scud which is 15 years old with the original cap.

23. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Got my 430 back today. Can confirm club discount gives you 10% off. Also, I definitely noticed a difference in brake pedal feel. I haven’t owned my car that long, but I was questioning if I needed new pads (I have CCB’s) because it felt spongy and the fluid was bled just last April before today. Not sure if it’s from a better bleed or if the cap made the difference. Either way, it’s noticeable.

Unfortunately, I think a valet or someone broke my “set” button off as I discovered it missing on my way home. Service was closed when I found out so they haven’t had a chance to address it, but has anybody run into something like this before? Was it handled quickly?

24. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    glad to hear that the brake pedal feel is improved. For my car they only did a new cap no bleed. Given both our experiences, older caps like on our 430s are degrading and not holding pressure, so the new caps are providing a better seal leading to the improved brake feel.

as for the “set” button, what exactly is that? Regardless, I’m sorry to hear something was broken. I’d definitely raise the issue and have them fix. I’ve never had any issues with my car with service at SVF.