Weird Happening | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Weird Happening

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Jan 28, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That heater line is 20 feet long (or so it seems). You should at least replace the first 2 or 3 feet of the line at the connection to the head, this time.

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Not sure if I need a new nipple yet because I have not cleaned up the original one to see whether it remains usable. By the way, how does one seal the threads? They do not look to be pipe threads.

3. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have 5/8 inch CU tubing and clamps.

moysiuan likes this.
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have success with Hylomar, Permatex Aviation seems common too. You could also use that on your old nipple if it is pitted/corroded, and that would help the hose seal as well.

5. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Thanks, I have Hylomar blue that I've used on water pump gaskets.

6. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If worse comes to worse, you can do what I did for this exact problem, but it will require removing the piece to work on it.
    Buy a Fragola 484006-BL MPT Fitting (3/8 Hose Barb X 1/4 Black) from Amazon for $8.99 and a 1/4" NPT tap and drill set from amazon for $4.69 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDV3A30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - Then just drill out the rotted fitting, tap the hole, coat the threads of the new Fragola fitting and you're done for less than $15.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Saabguy likes this.
  8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The right fitting is sold for $10.

9. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    of course the "right fitting" is the preferred solution -- however, the original fitting will most likely be destroyed upon attempting removal and the threads in the aluminum will also be un-usable because of the galvanic corrosion - this was what prompted the alternate fix with easy to acquire, low cost parts...

moysiuan likes this.
  10. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Mr. Coppari,

A thought: continued corrosion/disintegration of that fitting is inevitable and at present yours appears sufficiently intact to probably remove without incident; if deferred until it breaks off you may find yourself having to remove in pieces (I think the crossover plenum#116968 is NLA).

Removal of the intake plenum and water crossover manifold is not extremely difficult, just a bit awkward. The fitting on my car - which was in a similar state - was held in place with a light grey sealant (the threads are not tapered), and with application of a propane torch I was able to unscrew the original without any damage whatsoever to the threads. Replacements are available in either aluminum (factory #106241) or stainless steel (Hill products), and I used the original version with Permatex water pump sealant, which was only a bit darker grey in color than what was removed. Gaskets are #132981 (x2) and O-rings #103039 (x2). Then not to worry about this for another several decades.

Saabguy likes this.
  11. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +1 on carlrose's advice - replace the fitting now if it can be unscrewed or you will end up with something like this and you will have to drill out and re-tap:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Nice to hear from you Carl. The old days at Rockingham were fun.

I was feeling around on the nipple this morning and noticed its OD is no longer uniform. That said, I'll have to remove the plenum. PITA.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Are the aluminum nipple replacements still available?

14. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have not been able to unscrew the fuel line from one of the injectors. It's on the front bank. This is a project stopper if I cannot get it loose. The other 7 were tight but this one won't budge.

Saabguy likes this.
  15. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Finally got the last fuel line off. Used penetrant on it for a day during which I placed a lead ingot against the hex and tapped on the opposite side with a brass hammer. Next are the plenum nuts. Can't wait, more fun.

Saabguy likes this.
  16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    My part 18 (Nipple in the rear (1-4) head) needs to be replaced.

I've been trying to break it loose for an Embarrassingly (VERY) LONG TIME.

ANY SUGGESTIONS on getting it OUT?

17. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    I was able to drill mine out. I first cut off the corroded stub near flush with the head, then used progressively larger bits until there was just a very thin bit of male thread left which I was able to remove with a mechanics pick. Did it with the motor out of the car btw, which certainly made it easier.

18. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Maybe that's what I'll have to try.

Has anyone tried using IODINE?

Supposedly it "Eats" the Aliminum-Steel corrosion like a "Rust Remover."

19. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I got mine out by drilling, then used a mechanics pick like bitsobrits did. The new Hill Engineering 316 SS piece is a tapered thread. Currently, I am replacing the sleeves at the thermostat housing.

20. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Perhaps a dumb question but,

WHY put another STEEL Nipple back IN?

21. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The Gavarino annodized Al one I linked to makes alot of sense. With some antiseize compound on it, it should last forever, and it has the socket aspect for future removal if required.

22. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    #47 Lawrence Coppari, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Stainless steel 316 has very good corrosion resistance. I worked in the chemical industry for 28 years in the area of pressure vessels that contained materials that are very corrosive. Stainless 316 is a very high grade stainless steel. If it was not sufficient, then the company moved to unobtaniums such as Hastelloy, zirconium, or titanium materials for vessels and piping.

Also, the corroded nipple on mine was aluminum. I believe it was installed at the factory because I've owned my 328 since early 1988.

23. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My 328 is back together. I drove it a little yesterday watching in the rear-view mirror for steam. I was relieved to see there was none. Time will tell the full story. I drove it again today, and all was well. Yesterday, it was a little pissy getting started. On the third try after stalling each time a couple of seconds after starting, I realized the fuel lines to the injectors had air in them and what had been in the injectors probably had evaporated because I left the injector lines off while I worked under the plenum. It finally cleared and the engine started and ran properly.

I also replaced the two large sleeves under the plenum with 1.625 inch Dayco hose (41.28 mm). That hose is fairly pliable, so it was not too hard to slip on. I would not have been able to get the 1.50 inch NAPA hose I had on hand installed.