River Oaks Gold Testarossa | FerrariChat

River Oaks Gold Testarossa

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Ryan S., Mar 27, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Going down a rabbit hole of old Ferrari Houston Memories but does anyone remember the Gold (Oro Chiaro?) Testarossa that was always parked outside at a house close to Shepherd and Kirby?

It could have been silver as well but some reason Im remembering it as Oro. It’d occasionally be under a cover as well.

Trying to find out where that car is now? It’s probably been 20 plus years since I’ve seen it but always wondered who the owner was? It had a big influence on me though even though I just saw it driving by. @BigTex

RyanFoH, Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have no idea where this was.

Around 2000, I would drive to an outdoor car lot every weekend at the intersection of Shepard and Gray because there was a Dino sitting outside for sale. I don’t recall ever seeing a Testarossa, and I owned one at the time, so it definitely would have caught my attention.

3. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    It was a tough angle to see as the house sits kind of high relative to the street.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    If the taillights were melted like a Salvador Dali painting, it belonged to Richard "Racehorse" Haynes. He parked it outside under a tree that dripped sap, kept an ashtray in the passenger seat complete with burn marks galore. The quarter panels were damaged on both sides, etc.. But it still ran, barely.

Texas Forever and Ryan S. like this.
  5. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Never got that close to it but I do remember it sitting under a tree. Do you remember the color? You were seeing it in River Oaks?

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It was at a shop I used to do business with near River Oaks, later on I worked there for a short while. (Pinnacle Motorsports) I do remember it was an odd color for a TR. I think FoH bought it for less than 15k because it was so beat to living hell.

Ryan S. likes this.
  7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Pinnacle..... a name from the past, same for Racehorse Haynes. God Bless Houston

Ryan S. and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Love these stories. So many good ones in Houston. A lot of characters. The WW2 generation lawyers, business owners, real estate guys from houston are all fascinating to me.

9. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Nice purchase lol! I remember pinnacle as well. I know the address of the house it was at so I’ll see if that name matches.

10. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    You’re right on the money. This was the house.

https://megrife.greenwoodking.com/real-estate/929-kirby-houston-tx-77019/42939850/42811833

11. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Since we’re tripping down memory lane, I swear to all that is holy I used to see a Porsche 904 parked under a tree in Pensacola. This was the ‘60s. The sky was a catch all of Phantom jets down to helos. I saw the other day where 250 GTOs raced there in 1963.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ryan S. likes this.
  13. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Now to see how good y’all really are. Who owned the late 70s Mercedes 6.9 off Del Monte in River Oaks? I always wanted that car as a kid. Sadly the house and car are gone. They also had an old 1990s white suburban in the driveway.

The car just sat for decades. They covered the leather though with blankets. Eventually the car had a cover on it as well.