Epoxy flooring | FerrariChat

Epoxy flooring

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MufflerMan, Mar 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Has anyone used the do it yourself floor epoxy you can buy at the home stores? If so can you tell me you experience. Pictures too. Thanx!

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I did it...wouldn't do it again. Looks like crap.

I started with a pristine garage floor (new house). Cement had dried for over 1 month.

Applied the Home Depot stuff, looked good for 1 year. Now, its all peeling off.

I suspect there was still some moisture in the cement, though I followed all of the rules, and the cement was clean/virgin.

If I had to do it all over, I would use the floor decking. Sams Club has the plastic kind for 99 cents/foot. The nice stuff is 4$/ft.

Good luck.

HotShoe likes this.
  3. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    Gotta be aggravating to have that kind of experience!
    Just a coupla thoughts...
    '...over a month...' may not have been long enough for the concrete to have lost the bulk of its moisture. Did the Home Depot product specify how long to wait before application?
    Also, is there a vapor barrier under the slab (6 mil visqueen, etc.)?
    And, were any additives/agents (calcium, etc.) or glass fibers (strength enhancers), or after-placement curing agents (spray-on sealer used to slow evaporation) applied?

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I originally did the do-it yourself (Behr) stuff from Home Depot, applied by the guy that painted the interioir of our house, but that started looking crappy after a year or so.

I decided to eventually get a pro to do it. Had them come to my garage, strip off the old stuff, prep and apply the new stuff. Looks great. Wasn't cheap (~$1700 for a smallish 2 car garage, works out to about $3.95/sqr foot), but it did come with a 7 year warranty.

I did get a chance to test out the warranty, when my jack slipped and made a nice little hole in the epoxy. They came over, and patched it up no problems.

Now that I've seen how they did it, I think I would consider trying it again, if I didn't have a previously coated floor.

Like they said above, use a professional coating not the cheap home depot stuff. I've heard that there is considerable difference in the quality. There is a product out there, U-coat-it that seems to get lots of mention on the various car boards, but since I haven't tried it, can't really comment.

And prep is extremely, extremely important. The guys who did my floor used big-ass sanders to sand off the old coating, then they poured down acid and sanded again. Let dry, and then began the painting process. It's quite labor intensive.

Hope this helps.

Dom

7. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Thank you guys, I beleive the coating I was looking at was U-Coat it. If anyone has had experience with this particular brand any input would be greatly appreciated.

8. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Try floorjunkies.com They have tiles for the floor and they hold up real well no glue just snap together pretty resistant to oil many colors t choose from.
    DM

9. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    For about $5 a square foot you can get someone to do grade 5 porcelain tile. Very durable, looks really classy.

10. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    I was a painter many yrs ago, but have been a chemist for past 25 yrs (yes, Im old), although, not in the coatings field, and much of above info is wise.

But I can add this: I coated our own floors with Fasco epoxy (305/821-9441 in Miami area, ), and this "steelflex" material is tops. more costly, but not to be compared with the readily available stuff. New Concrete must be checked not just for moisture, but for curing as far as chemical conversion to a pH closer to 7. If you spray some phenolphthalein on it, you should NOT get a pink color. If you like, I can send you some from my lab. If pink, it is NOT cured enough. and you should NOT coat it with ANYTHING.

Good luck,
    Joe

11. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I went the floorjunkies.com route. A little under $1700 for 860 square feet. I will let you guys know how they work out.

12. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Thank You for the offer Joe. The temporary floor is the way to go it seems.

13. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
  14. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Colby,

You're welcome...Maybe another time.....

Do it the easiest way/best way you can.good luck.

15. SilverEdge

SilverEdge Rookie

Jan 17, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    JR
    we did acid-wash/stain on ours and get tons of compliments. don't think you can do it yourself, though...

16. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    I have done this twice and not had any issues and I am about to do again. The key to epoxy on concrete is etching the floor prior to applying the epoxy. Use muratic acid, not the heavy detergent stuff they also sell at Home Depot, it does not work well for this application. Also the other key is to stay off for at least a week. This will guarantee the epoxy completely cures to the concrete. If you put anything heavy on it prior it will come up. I am not a fan of the flakes you can put in, so I left out.

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I used the Behr product from Home depot, and would not do it again. The product looked great and stayed down flawlessly, but it took nearly a week to prep the floor and to get it all done- LOTS OF WORK. Once done, it was very tough. After about 3 years, it just looked a little dirty. THEN, it only took about 1 hour to recoat, and looked better than ever; never had any pealing problems, but it is extremely labor intensive to prep the floor correctly- seems to be the key. In my new house, I'm going to have the garage floor scored, and acid stained, then clear coated.

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I had my floor done 7 years ago and it still looks like new . And that is through the typical Michigan winters . The company that did the work was called FloorPro .

19. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    WE have one of those coat yourself jobs done and our floor is starting to really look dingy. Cracking, peeling going on all over. I do not want to use it again. Would love to go with some nice porcelein tiles or maybe racedek type.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I have done a CADD layout using the Floorjunkies stuff and it will cost around $2800 for 1600 s.f. Going to try it out on the new garage before commiting to the other car storage spaces.
    BT

21. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    How many contractors are doing epoxy floor coatings on a residential level? Do you sub out the concrete prep (shot blasting or grinding) or do that yourselves?

22. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    i diamond grinded my entire floor myself. was a long, pain in the butt process but i took my time (patience is NOT something i am known for). I used a commercial dual head grinder with a vacuum attachment that captured maybe 80% of the dust. WIped any areas that looks sketchy with denatured alcohol. Vacuumed the floor many times before doing. It's a large garage, so i had to do it in stages as the epoxy would harden before i could finish the whole project. Preparation is the key. I used some aggregate for high traffic areas so my kids won't slip and fall. It sounds stupid, but you just have to follow the directions. I spoke with a rep from the company no less than 15 times before starting the project. From a pride standpoint i wanted to be able to say i did everything to the garage myself. Sheetrock, paint, electric, etc. Came out fantastic. I even had the company mix me up a custom blend flake to use (white, red and rosso red). You;ll need some consecutive days off from work to do as the clear needs to be applied within 24 hours of the top coat. Very gratifying when i see people's reaction when they walk in.

23. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Expiry floors are about my least favorite project. Prep is everything. I used a water based product the first time that didn’t hold up at all.

For my second rodeo I went with a solvent based floor which held up pretty well, it was down for about 15 years when I sold the home. The failure points of the solvent hard floor were expansion joints began to crack a bit and sporadic blemishes from using an oxy torch. Next go around I’ll hire a pro.

24. kestrou

kestrou Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    I too bought the industrial stuff - was about $1,500 for 400 square feet, but you can bounce a sledgehammer off this stuff with no problem.

Had to apply another coat every 4 hours and did six total coats - and it REEKED - not sure if I was bleary eyed from the lack of sleep or the fumes by the end? :p

Kevin

25. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    oh no, mine reeeeeeked too. For a day or so. Then all good. Am really happy with the results, and the fact that i did it myself....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login