Mondial QV Coolant Flow? | FerrariChat

Mondial QV Coolant Flow?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by wilkrod, Feb 20, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Hi All,
    Getting all my new coolant lines hooked up, and I am confused.
    The workshop manual section C8 fig. 9 shows the bottom hose thru the chassis connecting to the lower outlet of the radiator. This is impossible on my car as the metal coolant pipe would be blocked by a frame crossmember. It would only work if using the top hose to connect to the lower outlet of the radiator. Another point of confusion is Fig. 9 shows the lower outlet going to the drivers side of the motor, and the passenger side of the motor going to the top of the radiator, is this correct?
    Thanks for your patience.
    Regards
    Jeff

2. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Jeff - this is looking toward the rear of the car - The top hose coming from under the car heads toward the passenger side and is then connected to an interim aluminum pipe, then short rubber hose, then bottom of the radiator...So bottom hose goes toward driver side, aluminum pipe up the driver side of the radiator and then 90 degree rubber into the top of the radiator:

Attached Files:

3. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
  4. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Joe,
    You are awesome Brother!
    Just what I needed.
    Thanks so much!
    Regards
    Jeff

5. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    would like to see that engine you built (enjoyed that thread) installed in the car...

6. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Motor is done, just trying to get all the little things buttoned up before I can put it back in.
    I am struggling with that aluminum pipe that connects to the bottom outlet of the radiator, it doesn't line up. Is there a curved hose that couples them together, I am trying to use a straight piece

7. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nope - it's a straight piece - think it's 1 5/8". Loosen all of the clamps holding the aluminum pipe to the chassis and it DOES need to be wrestled in....Also, IIRC DO NOT install the radiator until the lower aluminum pipe is in as you need the space on the driver's side of the radiator to get that pipe pretty much vertical (going up to the 90 degree rubber hose)

8. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
  9. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Interesting pics, I have always wondered what these areas looked like when exposed (also have an '85). Look at that battery access. ;) Apologies for a bit of a thread-jack, but I have a replacement for that short upper radiator hose. When I go to change it, will there be a mess of coolant? I believe the hose clamp nearest to the radiator was over-tightened a little and nicked the rubber. There has been a very tiny drip.

10. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Guys,
    Awesome help with the pics!
    Now that I know it is just a wrestling match, and that I have the correct parts, and routing, just a matter of getting it done.
    You folks are great with your assistance, I was really getting frustrated!
    Regards
    Jeff

Il Steeg and afterburner like this.
  11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Seems those 2 pictures show different outcome....left pipe as lower going to tunnel...

[​IMG]

and left pipe as upper going to tunnel

[​IMG]

Can this be RHD (upper picture) and LHD (lower picture) ??

12. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    afterburner and 85QVEuro like this.
  13. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Guido - my car is LHD and afterburner's car is RHD...The first pics that I posted (e.g. the dirty ones) are from before things were disassembled and I believe that these were not touched prior to my removal...One thing I notice in afterburner's picture is that in the RHD pipe where there is a 3/4" hose to the heater, on my car that hose connection is facing toward the RH side of the car whereas in Urs' picture, that heater hose heads to the LH side...Let's see what Urs says

14. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  15. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wilkrod - my engine is back in and I just made those coolant pipe connections last weekend. The pipes were very close to each other (both on the passenger and driver side) necessitating some fiddling to get the hose on both pipes. I can't tell from your picture if the pipe from under the car is correct but maybe these pictures will provide some clues....If it would be helpful, I can take a picture tomorrow of the pipes connected with the 1 5/8" hose (gates green stripe) between them - let me know

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
  17. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    upon closer inspection, it looks like you have the wrong pipe coming off the thermostat...

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Could it be that you need to reverse that 90° pipe - it's not equally long either side of the bend. I think the longs side is attached to the thermostat housing.

19. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Urs - I think the pipe that goes to the thermostat has two bends (see pic of mine above)...

20. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Joe, Urs,
    Thanks for the responses.
    I think I really screwed up, but don't know where.
    The 90 deg. pipe at the t-stat, I did switch ends, in its present placement lines up in the vertical plane but is too long, in the other orientation, doesn't come close in any manner. When I look at the parts list It looks like I have the correct pips in the correct location but something is way wrong. And my pipes don't resemble Joes', so I am clueless at this point. Going to look for some of my old pics to see if I can figure this out.
    Regards
    Jeff

21. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Jeff - this is a long shot but this pic may help - the linking of the pipes is accurate for the driver and pass side but the orientation is probably off because i was just dry re-assembling them back to where they belonged after cleaning them. Upper most long pipe is the driver side I believe and the end that is close to the engine sump goes to the top hose of the two hoses that go under the car. The set up beneath that is pass side and the end that is close to the trans goes to the bottom hose of the two hoses that go under the car. The other side of this pipe set up (with no hose on it) connects to the hose coming from the pipe that is connected to the thermostat (I think...)

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  23. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Joe, Urs,
    I agree with Urs, that the pipe Joe has is from a cab. I am going to check and make sure that mine is not reversed, or is it is just a matter of adjustment.
    Again, thanks for all your input.
    Regards
    Jeff

afterburner likes this.