Official book collectors thread | Page 223 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #5551 thepinkumbrella, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Mostly text or plenty of images? My German is somewhat limited...

Paul

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mainly text, all in German. Sort of biography.
    Very very few pix.

Marcel Massini

thepinkumbrella likes this.
  3. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I am halfway though the 125 pages. This part of the book deals with Leirer's childhood and early professional life.

Will be through this evening. You will read my review on Sunday at Instagram (@Buchpilot) ;)

Rosey, gt4me and ivo73 like this.
  4. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I just published my review about the Fritz Leirer story. I am afraid I had to mention some critical words as I read "Alpha Romeo" and other blunders in the book, which moreover does not tell anything of importance about the Ferrari community in Switzerland:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqfJbcaI0H2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

gt4me, bloomberg and thepinkumbrella like this.
  5. steve58

steve58 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2010
    Montecavolo - Italy
    Full Name:
    Stefano Iori
    I have just received this booklet . It was printed by Edizioni Henry Beyle. Limited 500 copies. Title is " Come si diventa Grandi piloti " text by Enzo Ferrari . Back is 1966 a swiss man wrote to an italian magazine called EPOCA and made a question about italian drivers . Mr Enzo Ferrari reply . Italian language
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays, ivo73, bloomberg and 2 others like this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #5556 Jack-the-lad, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    I just looked at my pending order to get an idea of delivery date and got a message that the vendor, Book Depository, is closing business! Then I checked the Evro web site and it looks like the book won’t even be available until a month after BD has closed up shop. I sense that I’ve kissed those $$ goodbye…..

EDIT: Well, by pleasant coincidence I just received an email from Book Depository notifying me that a full refund has been processed.

7. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Book Depository is Amazon. No doubt, Amazon bought it to kill it, but it's still Amazon...

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, I thought so. I never understood what they were doing with it in the first place. They kept for longer than typical for a “death-by-acquisition.”

trashidelek! likes this.
  9. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    True, but times are "tough" in the tech sector, so it looks like Amazon is getting down to business and dispensing with the "competitor" facade. I suspect we'll all see more expensive books and international shipping costs when it's all said and done...

Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    #5560 piloti, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    HELP NEEDED - has anyone got good hi-res photos of the 4 Ferrari 2022 annual covers? I need then for a magazine article. Thanks
    Nathan

11. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Such a great subject too.

Like many other teams of that era such as Williams, a team founded by a true motorsport enthusiast, a tight budget and a burning desire to go racing.

Seppefan and Buchpilot like this.
  13. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    And covering imho the best period in F1 racing: 1966 - 1998

Seppefan, Rosey, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I just bought another copy with dust jacket, signed by Purdy. I’m offering the copy mentioned in the quoted post to FChat Bookies for $75 shipped in the U.S. I’m happy to provide pictures by PM to serious buyers so as not to hijack the thread.

ggjjr likes this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    According to Evro’s web site Doug Nye’s Enzo “photobiography” has now been pushed back to “early 2024” and with a price increase to $95, from $75 as I recall.

modena1967 likes this.
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I've seen natural diamonds form in less time then it takes for that book to be released. :)

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    :D
    Well, Amazon is still showing a 2025 release, so I guess early 2024 seems like an improvement. It took “On Track” something like 17 years from hints of its publication to actual delivery.

trashidelek! and Rosey like this.
  18. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Publication of the 550 Prodrive book has been postponed from next week to 22. June. The Hesketh book, due next week as well, has been postponed "for several weeks" (quote Instagram post by Porter). And Palawan has gone lost for months now without any communication.

I think British publication business is in serious trouble ...

ivo73 and Rosey like this.
  19. joejackson

joejackson Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Muenster/Germany
    Full Name:
    Gert S
    I hope it is ok to post this here:

Cotswold Road And Race and Chaters UK have the "Inside Track Collectors Edition" by Phil Hill on sale for only £325!

ivo73 likes this.
  20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'm ok with the 550 Prodrive book being pushed back a bit, at that price it gives me more time to save up. ;)

Buchpilot and ivo73 like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There are several books planned for the 100th anniversary of the Le Mans 24h - this one has just been announced at motors mania: https://www.motors-mania.com/fr/tous-nos-produits/10670-24-heures-du-mans-1923-2023-edition-du-centenaire.html

One of the authors has (co-) authored an "official" annual for several decades now. I have no idea what the actual value of this book will be, but the price seems reasonable compared to the preposterously inflated prices we've been exposed to during the last months (or even few years)...

Zeltweg, jm2 and Buchpilot like this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Maybe eventually it becomes more difficult to sell expensive books - Girardo just made an email campaign to advertise (again) the 550 Prodrive book (including to people having already ordered, and paid for, it :p) ; maybe they're just waiting for more orders before launching the print...

Rosey likes this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I had second thoughts and canceled my order within a couple of days, when the book was offered. In my opinion this is really a vanity book for owners/prospective owners of these cars. Yes, there’s an historical footnote in terms of Le Mans, etc., but not enough interest on my part to pay the price.

375+, trashidelek! and bloomberg like this.
  24. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    #5574 bloomberg, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    I've seen a copy at the Retro in Paris. It was nice, I ordered it, and cancelled the order after a few days. I guess many of us are a bit spoiled and have great expectations, but then they should have great expectations as prices are (sometimes too) high. For me, unfortunately, it did not touch a nerve.
    Same feeling with the AM DBR9 book by TAG: good book, no emotion.

Lusso123, Zeltweg and Jack-the-lad like this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think a lot of us are looking for value. I’d like to have that book, but at no more than about 50% of the ask.

Lusso123, Thomas S. and bloomberg like this.