WHERE ARE THE GROUNDS ON A 308? | FerrariChat

WHERE ARE THE GROUNDS ON A 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by steve meltzer, Mar 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Specifically, the ground for the front fans? Exact location? Ditto the ground position for many items rearward of that, mainly dash and console items. 1976 308 GTB (Vetroresina) thanx steve

2. Anthony Rapuano

Anthony Rapuano Karting

Aug 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Anthony V Rapuano, Jr.
    I can not speak for the front fans with certainty, but they appear to share a common ground on the frame. The headlight lift motors are each grounded directly to the metal support they are mounted on via one of the mounting screws. There is also a main ground at the fuse panel. As is the case with any vehicle, I have found that simple disassembly and cleaning of electrical connections and ground points (to bare metal) is the first and easiest way to troubleshoot electrical problems. If you have the correct owners manual for the car, there is a fairly good wiring diagram therein that will give you a pretty good idea of the ground location for various systems/components. I also have a 1976 vetro GTB, and it has been fairly trouble free electrically provided that all connections/contacts are clean and properly maintained. I still have the original fuse panel with the old style fuses, and it has been trouble free with simple cleaning of all contact points.

3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Thanx Anthony, I agree that cleaning those contacts is quite often the ticket home. I like DeOxit and always have some on my shelf.
    (My car is 18977 Giallo/Nero...yours??) thanx again. steve

waymar likes this.
  4. Anthony Rapuano

Anthony Rapuano Karting

Aug 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Anthony V Rapuano, Jr.
    My car is nero/beige, later than yours, with 72,000+ miles. Do you have the owner's manual? The wiring diagram is actually fairly detailed, if rather small. Are you new to these cars? Have had mine for 11 years now and it has been generally trouble free with routine maintenance, and I think more importantly, regular and vigorous use. All the systems of the car function better with regular use (except the AC, which is a sore subject with these cars). I live in CT, and drive the car year round, generally 1-2 times per week from spring through autumn, and at least once every 2 weeks or so in winter based on weather/conditions. And as you may know, these carbureted cars thrive on cool, dry conditions for optimal performance. My winter drives are often the most enjoyable I have during the year. Enjoy the car. These 308's can be temperamental, frustrating and vexing at times, but they are fairly simple and quite robust.

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I have the schematic. I'm just trying to find the physical location of those grounds. It's my first non-vintage, non-V12. Got it from Gooding/Monterey Aug, 2022....so new to me. I love the car...a blast to drive., Gotta get those fans runnin' before she goes out in the Houston heat. thanx Anthony. steve

6. Anthony Rapuano

Anthony Rapuano Karting

Aug 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Anthony V Rapuano, Jr.
    Good luck, and here's to many years of happy ownership. Regarding the fans, I assume that you've checked the relays and fuses. You might also try jumping the temperature switch on the lower back side of the radiator and see if the fans turn on; would indicate a bad switch. I'm also pretty sure that the right side fan should turn on if the AC is turned on. Probably something simple as I can't imagine that both fan motors have failed.

7. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I'm pretty certain about the right side fan engages with the AC. Wonder why they weren't setup so that both don't engage with AC on?
    Fuses and relays are fine and it is unlikely;y that both fans have bit the bullet; that's why we have postulated it is a ground issue. Thanx again. steve

8. Anthony Rapuano

Anthony Rapuano Karting

Aug 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Anthony V Rapuano, Jr.
    Try jumping that temperature switch on the radiator that controls when the fans come on. They have been known to fail. At least you will be able to see if the fans come on, which can confirm or rule out a ground issue. Some owners carry a jumper wire in their tool kit just in case. If push comes to shove, better to have the fans running constantly than not at all.

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Thanx again, Anthony...in Houston, i'd like them to run all the time. The guy who's helping is great on electrical. There's no doubt that we will solve it. s

10. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    If you are cleaning up the grounds, you might think about adding them to the fuel system. You will notice there are no grounds on the tanks, crossover fill pipe, or the crossover vent pipe. All of which are isolated by rubber hose connection points.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "You will notice there are no grounds on the tanks, crossover fill pipe, or the crossover vent pipe."

Why would you want/need to add such ground connections?

12. Anthony Rapuano

Anthony Rapuano Karting

Aug 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Anthony V Rapuano, Jr.
    I can see how having the fans on constantly might be an advantage in your part of the country. There are certain times of the year here in the northeast when my fans will not come on at all during a drive. Even during the summer as long as the car is at speed the movement of air through the radiator is enough to keep the temperature reasonable. Idling in traffic or moving slowly will trigger the fans to go on, but they usually don't stay on long once on the move again. When the cooling system is in good order it seems to perform well.

13. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    When fluid is transferred from one tank to another it is possible for static electricity to be created when fluids are transferred from one tank to another. This can occur due to the friction that is created between the fluid and the walls of the tanks, as well as any hoses or pipes used in the transfer process. The movement of the fluid can generate an electrical charge, which can lead to static electricity buildup. To prevent static electricity buildup, it is recommended to use have a ground during the transfer process. Grounding can help to dissipate any electrical charge that may be generated, reducing the risk of sparking or other safety hazards.

14. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    OK, we took off the grill and found the ground for the horns and fans; it is just above the horns. Dead center on the upper X piece of frame. The connections to the fans were corroded as was the ground, so we cleaned all of that and only the right fan worked but not with AC. More corrosion was found behind the relays, and was also cleaned within an inch of its life. Now both fans work great, and the RH fan works to blow air X the condenser.

We discussed getting both fans to work with the AC, but concluded that the increased current draw was too much, without increasing the amperage output of the alternator.

Tools you'll need: Good light, Scotch Brite Pad, Power Probe and Deoxit 5. Oh yeah, and patience
    steve meltzer

15. Anthony Rapuano

Anthony Rapuano Karting

Aug 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Anthony V Rapuano, Jr.
    Are you going to bypass the temperature switch and run the fans constantly as you had hinted at?

16. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    #16 steve meltzer, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    no, not yet..wanna see how it goes in its current (catch the pun?) configuration. maybe fine, esp with the heat producing engine away from the radiator and condenser. thanx for your interest. s