Used ff question, transmission problem?? | FerrariChat

Used ff question, transmission problem??

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by FFForza, Apr 1, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFForza

FFForza Rookie

Mar 17, 2023
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I’m looking at buying a 2012 ff with 25k miles that has power 15 warranty.

I encountered something while test driving and wanted your opinion, when using the car in D automatic and exiting a car park while the car is on a slope on the ramp waiting for the parking gate to open it slides backwards unless I press the brakes. That seems weird for an automatic transmission in D. What are your thoughts? Is it standard for the FF transmission? What is wrong?

thx

2. Emirateshills575

Feb 1, 2023
    UAE
    Full Name:
    X
    Absolutely not

3. FFForza

FFForza Rookie

Mar 17, 2023
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Absolutely not meaning something is wrong with the car? What do you think is faulty?

4. FFForza

FFForza Rookie

Mar 17, 2023
    Full Name:
    Ron
    By the way the sliding backwards is every so light and slow it’s not a fast slide I don’t know if that changes anything just wanted to be precise

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    As I understand your description its normal for modern transmissions because its not like a classic automatic (with a viscous clutch) but self-shifting (with a more traditional clutch style)

6. FFForza

FFForza Rookie

Mar 17, 2023
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thx greyboxer, you mean all new automatic cars can’t hold it by remaining in place or advancing on their own on a slope in D and slide backwards? Sorry if I misunderstood

7. Bonovox09

Bonovox09 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 4, 2022
    Concord, MA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Thompson
    What you are experiencing is exactly how the Getrag dual clutch transmission is designed to work.

arrange for a pre purchase inspection at a dealer. You can ask all your questions — part of what you’re paying for with PPI

FFForza likes this.
  8. dustywusty

dustywusty Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2017
    Florida
    #8 dustywusty, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    Completely normal. Ignore the weirdo who bought a salvage car and is clearly super salty about having to deal with it.

FF is a great car but has obvious and documented issues. I’ve dealt with them in both of mine. If you’re comfortable with it, it’s a fantastic car and has tremendous character. Enjoy!

FFForza likes this.
  9. FFForza

FFForza Rookie

Mar 17, 2023
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Could you perhaps point me in the direction of the documented issues I need to research just to make sure I know them and I am ok with it?
    Thx ☺️

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    About every tenth thread here seems to be about what to look for with FF and/or whether a warranty is a good idea

ANOpax likes this.
  11. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Just search for PTU and speed sensor DCT threads and you’ll find what you need. Love my FF, amazing car.

dustywusty likes this.
  12. Emirateshills575

Feb 1, 2023
    UAE
    Full Name:
    X
    Donkey, I have Gtc4lusso and new SF90 except Rollse Cullinan and 992 GT3, Nissan Patrol 1000hp, RQM TRX, and this both is have problems while active driving! If you driving like grandpa one time per week - its your problem. I just telling to him real world, because who is buying old FF - they normally don't have free funds for normal service. All my friends here in Dubai who owned different ferraris models within last 20 years they had problem with transmission or suspension.

13. dustywusty

dustywusty Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2017
    Florida
    Ok.

14. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The FF DCT transmission has a hold feature that is activated once you press the footbrake when in gear or in Auto.

It will hold the car temporarily on an incline long enough for you to get off the brake pedal and onto the gas with the car rolling back.

Just get into the habit of using the brake at inclines, problem solved. As others have said this isn't a torque converter transmission it's doesn't have a series of viscous clutches providing a constant state of drag.

FWIW I had the same behaviour in the Audi S6 Avant I owned before the FF That has an S-Tronic tansmission (Audi's DCT gearbox). Whereas the RS6 has a traditional ZF 8 Speed Torque converter unit.

dustywusty likes this.
  15. Emirateshills575

Feb 1, 2023
    UAE
    Full Name:
    X
    To be honest Porsche cayenne have S-Tronic too, ZF DCT is good, but sometimes it is not fit for cars with another one function. Example it's not good to pull trailer with PDK DCT robot, or BMW ZF, but with S-Tronic cayenne or Audi quattro you can even pull heavy cars behind.