Is the McLaren GT a failure ? | FerrariChat

Is the McLaren GT a failure ?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by F456 V12, Nov 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    This is not meant to troll anyone, but the lack of discussion on McLaren Life and McLaren Chat seem to indicate very low interest. My local dealer in Newport Beach has already had at least two coming out parties and sends me weekly invites to drive their demo car. I would be interested to know what owners and potential owners have to say, reviews by the mags and Youtuber's mostly favorable, but I think expectations were much higher in the performance end...maybe car enthusiast are not yet ready for a mid engine GT car and the guys at AM, Bentley and Ferrari can sleep well.

Somewhat off topic - To be honest, my wife an I were quite interested in putting down a deposit, but at least for me when the new C8 was introduced, a lot of my interest towards a GT car shifted away from the McLaren GT. I figure that Z06 version will be at least 1/2 the cost of a Mac GT and far easier to get serviced on long trips. [I am close to self imposed retirement and want to drive the USA]

MB

Ridgeback and Booker like this.
  2. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I think the car has huge potential and probably will attract a certain market, but it is not the prettiest looking imo, I have yet to see one in person though. When you spend that sort of money you want to be fully happy with your choice, there is no question that it will be powerful, excellent fit n finish, ride quality will be sublime but is that enough? Having owned 2 Macs now I know this will be an excellent car but pictures make it look sort of generic, I hope the lines look better in person.

3. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think the McLaren GT was released a little early, as Mac is still establishing and expanding their dealer network. I see the GT as a direct competitor to the Audi R8 and access to various audi dealers is clearly a huge plus for that car. McLaren is moving it's home base to Texas early next year, so I think McLaren should have marketed their dealer network heavily and then relased the GT after changing headquarters... just my 2 cents

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Go drive the McLaren and the case will be closed. All the rest are just excuses.

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I want to look at the GT but since you can't see the engine, I am looking more seriously at a used 570S.

I have a C7 Z06, fantastic car. Saw the C8 in Bowling Green at the museum's 25th anniversary: that is a great car at a great price. I will get one in a couple of years, but I want the McLaren first

6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Bottom line is its not a pretty car. I would opt for a 570 or 600 way before the gt. The gt looks like a miss match of design pieces (that are a bit choppy) rather than a complete design. The Senna also has the same visual problem. If you like the looks of those then more power to ya. :)

Robb

boxerman and (deleted member) like this.
  7. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I drove the GT the other day. The brake pedal travel is too long before engaging. Annoying. The gas pedal seems too have too much travel before you get to wide open. Had to sit a little closer to the wheel than I like to reach theseand I am 5:10"
    Glass roof has no way to block out the hot sun. Big fail there I think. A simple thin pull cover would make all the difference. Less heat coming in and less glare. Not impressed with the way you store the luggage on top of the engine. Sales guy said it will not get hotter than 100 degrees. During some spirited driving went over small hole/depression and the right rear of the car bottomed out. Looks wises it was not bad but for that kind of money I would want more. I was hoping to like this car but it came up short for me. Now the 720S was much better!! but $$$

Robb likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I saw it in person at McLaren Scottsdale. I’m still not enjoying the belt line on the nose and side vents. 570 much better looking gt...

Looked very long.

I doubt it sells very many out of all their models. But I wish them success overall.

Robb

9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I do like the looks and the concept. I can’t wait for one to hit the resale market in a bit so I can pick one up for my daily driver!

10. drkillabrew

drkillabrew Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Woodson
    It will be interesting to see cumulative sales numbers when the first year of sales is over. There seem to be a lot more popping up into dealer inventory now. I personally like the lines, and there are some color and wheel combos that significantly enhance the overall aesthetic. But I think too much focus was placed on cargo capacity. I think most buyers in this range prefer to have the engine on display, rather than worrying about whether their golf clubs will fit in the rear hatch (and apparently get annealed in the process...). At this point, you can get into a decent used '18 or even '19 720S for the same money, and for me, at least, that choice is a no-brainer.

11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Maybe I am an anomaly, but I am not all that interested in seeing the engine. You cannot see the engine in any spider made now such a s from McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. To me, having a high performance mid-engined sports car with enough luggage space for my wife and I to go for a long weekend and is comfortable doing it is quite appealing.

sainthoo likes this.
  12. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
  13. MM31

MM31 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 28, 2020
    In terms of sales? I think probably. I've barely seen anyone posting they bought one compared to previous models. I'm sure it's a nice car, but I don't think there's a good market for it. It's a weird mix between 720S and 570S, and the new sport series hybrid will be out next year anyway. I just don't see how the GT is competitive. It's not like the 720S or 570S are so un-GT-able. It just has some more luggage space which I don't think is that high up on the list of needs anyway for the average exotic buyer.

14. SMD

SMD Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2015
    I prefer the design of the GT to the 570S and 570GT; it’s cleaner and less busy, especially from the front, and will better stand the test of time. However, I think McLaren made a mistake by marketing it as a new model. The concept is so evolutionary that it should have been sold as a facelift of and not a replacement for the existing 570GT.

Booker likes this.
  15. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker

He compares it to the Edsel, which is funny because my grandpa restored an Edsel and it was one the most difficult and rewarding models he’s ever done. I have a soft spot for the Edsel like I do the GT. Maybe I will scoop one up when everyone has forgotten about it and do a restoration myself (sarcasm). GT is a beautiful car in a crowded lineup, simple as that.

LightGuy likes this.
  16. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As a 720s owner who loves his car and loves the brand (and reliability), my take is simple and to the point......

1) For the guys comparing the Mac GT to a Corvette (C7, C8 or whatever); this is NOT an alternative to a Corvette.
    This is for a different market segment and driving experience. One guy said it right, a competitor to the Audi R8,
    and I fell to the Astor martin DB9, DB11 or Vanquish.

2) I have seen it many time in person and driven it for a weekend( my Mac dealer let me have it for a Sat & Sun).
    It's kind of numb. It feels less inspiring and far less than my 720. And as well even with an entry level 570.
    I would dare say that as the 720 compels you to drive the snot out of it, the GT inspires you to limp quietly along the road.
    Hard to find a car for all things and all people. This is for a specific buyer that is looking for a night out with the wife or long weekend cruise to the Four Seasons.

3) Yes, it DOES NOT look very good. Especially after Rob Melville has given us such great McLaren sports cars prior. My F458 is beautiful (and will always be) but my 720 looks like the Star ship Enterprise.

4) And agreeing with a previous post (again,),,,, As they did in the past when they first launched street cars, they pushed out too damn many models too quickly. The dealers were begging them to slow the process and let the brand and initial cars get recognition in the market.
    They slowed down for a while; and now they are back to pushing out new designs just to keep up with the competition and grab some unclaimed market share.
    IMHO, the GT should have never been produced. Let the DB11 customers buy a DB11, and so on.....

Just my 2 cents
    JL

PS: I LOVE my 720! It ticks all the boxes for a true sports car enthusiast

17. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    I am in the market of Mac within a year…as my addition to my F-Cali. I am mid 50s so I am interested in GT versus S. I was considering 570 GT since few months ago but recently the 2020 GT price getting cheaper then I am considering GT versus 570GT….

What I am very concerned with Mac is reliability so this will be my first Mac and hoping I make a right decision to choose what I will buy early next year! I love my Cali so I have a good reason that Cali will be for my wife when I get GT….

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  18. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
  19. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    tomc likes this.
  20. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    redcaruser and SoCal to az like this.
  21. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
  22. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It will be at least as a reliable your Ferrari. Trust me, I have owned multiple of both and still do.

24. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I personally feel like the gt has much cleaner lines than the 570 or 720. Much less scoops, strakes, etc.

zooyorker likes this.
  25. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I love the GT. Plan on adding one in the future as my daily.