458 - Brake pad installation: grease? | FerrariChat

458 Brake pad installation: grease?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Challenge, Apr 12, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The WSM makes no mention of using grease on any brake parts. I have scoured the internet for Brembo instructions and only found generic (not carbon ceramic pad replacement instructions).

So, do you grease any of the normal brake areas like the pad backing plates and slide pins for Brembo CCBs?

If not, why not?

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    It’s been a while since I did my own Brembo work. I do recall that the new pads from Brembo may come with a small amount of special grease with instructions on its use. I seem to recall that it was only to be applied to the metal plate back, perhaps to reduce noise

Also take care not to get the special grease on the rotor or pad surfaces.

Challenge likes this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There was no grease supplied with the OEM pad kit. I think grease is problematic because it could migrate to and contaminate the rotors. Also, they attract and retain brake dust and dirt. I did not see any signs of use of grease and did not use any when doing my pad replacements. They make no more noise than the pads that came with the car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

MalibuGuy likes this.
  4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The last time I did the Brembo pad replacement was with my 360. And yes that kit came with grease for the back metal plate.
    For my 458, I ordered new pads and recall that there was no grease supplied —only the sensors. I didn’t do the labor myself. Had the service center do it. I think they also weighed the rotors to confirm that they didn’t require replacement.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    With all the issues surrounding the modern Brembo braking system, I've decided it better to let my master tech do the work.

software reservoir cap inspection of both calipers pistons and discs.

there is also a software program to inform as to when the rotors might need replacement and weight analysis too

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I replaced front pads and used a very, very little copper fat or what it's called in English :)

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I wonder when the brakes should under go a rebuild where the calipers are opened and the o rings seals, piston dust seals, and other bits are replaced. The pistons should also be inspected for pitting, wear, and perhaps replaced.if out of spec.
    Does anyone know if Brembo has a recommended time interval such as 15 years?

9. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I replaced my front pads yesterday due to miles and heat cycles after watching Hollywood Mechanic's brake videos. My observations:
    1. With over 25K miles on the car (and still original pads....I think) they measured > 9.5mm. New is 10mm.
    2. The old pads had mild pock marks but significant scoring on the inner ring closest to the hub--just like the videos mentioned. The reason is that the original Brembo pads have a design flaw and make contact with the inner carbon FIBER ring and this surface chews up pads.
    3. The new Brembo pads (Ferrari part # 70001668) appear redesigned so that the pad does not contact the rotor's carbon fiber inner ring.
    4. Unlike the original pads, the new pads came with shiny metal shims that clip onto the backing plates (like many normal cars). I have never seen other 458s with these shims, but I used them. Not crazy about the aesthetics.
    5. Pistons pushed in smoothly with my fingers. No need for tools.
    6. Close inspection showed all piston dust seals looked perfect. I could even read "BREMBO" on them.
    7. The new slide pins are about 1/8" shorter than original and do not extend past the face of the caliper when driven in 100%. Unsure if I will keep them in or clean up the old ones to re-use.

I plan to drive it soon to do the bedding according to the WSM.

Willl, MalibuGuy and Need4Spd like this.
  10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for the excellent detail in your description.
    Were your OEM pads making noise or producing more dust due to the undesired contact?
    I recall replacing my front OEM pads due to wear, around 3-4mm, with around 100,000 miles.
    I think I sourced the pads from Ricambi to save on costs, but had the service center perform the labor.

11. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a mild rotational thump that occurs only when braking, only below 25-30mph and it goes away when brakes are nice and hot. Occasional normal squealing but no dust aside from normal road grime. I can stand on the brakes from 75mph without touching the steering wheel and it brakes straight and true with no pulsing or vibration whatsoever in the steering wheel or brake pedal. No wheel bearing play, nothing touching the axles, calipers are tight and I am religious about torquing the wheel bolts (usually 3 times - 20 / 40 / 75 ft-lbs - in the star pattern. My hope was this was pad material built up.

PS - I replaced the rear pads a few days ago.

12. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    My Ferrari techs say, and have always said, that even though Ferrari spec calls for 74-75 ft lbs, that they should be torqued to 100 instead- 75 just isn’t enough.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Interesting! Alignment is easily sorted at my service center which my service center do when replacing tires. I like the MPSport 4s but hope to get the MP Sport 5 S when they are offered. What tires are you running? I am always surprised at how much better these F sport models feel with fresh rubber. Maybe consider so,e née shoes if the issue persists.

And how are the rims? Any special wheel fitment ? Does the issue vary with the different suspension settings

14. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #15 Challenge, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    No alignment issues. Running PS4S now with 2019 date codes I believe. Fronts look new. Rears are at 5 or 6 32nds (I believe new are 8/32?)

Wheels are OEM 20" Sport version. No damage.

15. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks. I really hate over-torquing based on word-of-mouth. Not that I do not believe you, I just get scared thinking about bolt stretch and shearing forces....

16. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Yes I understand and am the same. I asked many times in many ways and they put EVERY car they service to 100 always they said, so…. And were also quite adamant that 74/5 wasn’t enough.

Challenge likes this.
  17. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is probably why most of my 355 wheel inserts got cracked and needed to be replaced, too. I can say that I never cracked one!

MalibuGuy and 05F430F1 like this.
  18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’ve got the Ferrari Titanium bolts on both the 458s and F8s.
    Same torque recommendation ?

19. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I’m SURE the torque spec is different for titanium but I don’t know what it is…. I’ll find out soon though since I’m planning to get the inverted hex head style titanium ones.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  20. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I'm a dealer for Surface Transforms and will probably do them to my own car since I get them at cost. HUGE upgrade and stopping way way way better. Just another option that is known to destroy the oem CCB. Also switching the pads to Pagid makes a huge difference.

mdrums likes this.
  21. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Update: After replacing my pads all around, the rotational brake clicking sound continued. This is best described as a clicking from the front right brake area. It only occurs when braking moderately or heavily. I can brake lightly to a stop without inducing the clicking. The harder the brake pedal is pressed, the louder the clicking. The clicking is rotational and proportionate to vehicle speed.

So assuming I had a caliper issue I rebuilt the front right caliper with new piston seals and dust boots. Prior to installation that puppy was spotless. None of the pistons had any imperfections below the dust boot; no rust, corrosion or pitting. After carefully reassembling and torquing everything properly (you did know that proper wheel torque always starts from the bolt opposite the rotor locating pin, right?) I went for a quick drive. Same damn noise.

To recap, I have:
    1. Replaced all pads with new Brembo pads.
    2. Thoroughly cleaned the hub and rotor mating surfaces (using nothing but a clean, dry microfiber towel on the rotor).
    3. Inspected everything possible: wheel bearing play (none), rotor dust shield looseness, control arm bushings, ball joint, tie rod/steering, drop link, condition of all rubber, brake line routing, speed sensor wiring, brake pad sensor wiring (all neatly zip tied).
    4. Cleaned and rebuilt the caliper with Girodisc seals and dust boots. Hint: Girodisc's 488 kit (28/32/36mm) fit my 458 Italia--not their 458 kit.
    5. Bled the caliper with fresh Motul RBF600.

At this point I have no other ideas! :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    First thanks for the excellent detailed description pictures, and torque discussion.
    Could the clicking be related to suspension bushings joints?

Challenge likes this.
  23. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Being that it’s rotational and changes according to speed, I’d say no. It has to be brake, rotor, spindle, wheel related.. hmmm

Challenge likes this.
  24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What about the parking brake

Challenge likes this.