Espada thread | Page 199 | FerrariChat

Espada thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by lambomiura, Mar 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
  2. Lobo7

Lobo7 Karting

Verona Italy

3. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello,

does anyone have maybe a photo of an Urraco or Espada in the following color:

Blue Metallic PPG Italver Code 2.463.643

Kind regards

Zdenek

4. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Have i dropped a note on here to let you guys know that the 205VR15 CN72 that was fitted to the early Espada.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/205-r-15-pirelli-cinturato-cn72.html

I think the Espada fitted the 205VR15 CN72 untill 1972 when it had power steering as standard, and they also fitted a wider wheel rim, to take the benefit of the 215/70VR15 CN12 (which we should be having back in stock again soon.)

couple of questions for you experts:
    • When did the Espada fit power steering? (i think it might have been an option earlier, but standard on the series 3.)
    • Did they fit 215/70R15 CN12 before 1972.
    I know 70% profile tyres came out in 1968. but it does seem that Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini didn't start fitting them on their current models untill the new technology had got a few years under its belt. Also with models like the Espada for instance they made a few tweeks to the car, ie power steering and wider rims, but i might also guess a bit more caster? maybe different springs? (subtle adjustments to the geometry)

I flog a set of these to mate a few years ago who compared the handling of his early Espada to a lter car that was on 215/70R15. he thought the 215/70R15 cave more stable handling at cruising speeds. My suspicion is he could be on to something, however there is more to it than just the tyre. the wider rim will stablise a tyre, and less overall diameter makes for a stabler tyre, I'm guessing the extra camber, but that improves directional stability.

Fitting a 215/70R15 onto a car that was originally on a full profile 205R15 will loose some diameter, and comfort, and therefore ability to absorb the shocks on the road, so the car works a bit harder to make up for the tyres lack of side wall. they don't look right because they don't fill the wheel arches, gearing, speedo and fuel consumption will be a little out of wack. a big one is the steering load, hence the question about the power steering and caster.

The advantages of a wider more modern 215/70R15 tyre will not be fully taken advantage of if you don't have the subtle adjustments that are made to geometry (specially the wider rims).

What do you think?

Horses for courses i say.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My SII Espada is not a very early one but it's also not one of the later ones that came with power steering. One of the original tires was still on the spare rim and was quite worn out. It was a Pirelli tune tire and still had the original Pirelli high speed rate tub inside with a threaded valve stem. That tire even though quite worn was much larger in diameter than a 215/70VR15. I remember being very puzzled by this and began a discussion about this topic on the VLG forum with Jack Ridell owner of the highest mileage 400GT on the planet. He and the car were honored in August in Monterey @ Conourso Italiano. I believe he has close to 200K miles on the car. He drove there from San Diego. His car is no Monterey trailer queen. I also had my long term and well known tire dealer EuroTire in Fairfield NJ research the tire. I'm sorry I don't remember what it was but the tire designations were different back when this tire was fitted. One of the brothers in that business now works for Pirelli in the USA for their racing support.

That was not a 70 series tire it was larger than that. Early Lamborghini info can be quite murky. Jack has the most excellent contacts with all of the early Lamborghini people still alive and has had for many decades. If you'd like a contact for him to help run some of this information to ground I can supply that privately but don't wait he's now 85. Or you could join The Vintage Lamborghini Group forum.

My car had Pirelli P4000 tires with 225/70s on the rear when I got it but the PO was aa moron and had tubes inside them with non secured valve stems that were all crooked as hell in the rims. When I restore those rims I went tubeless but originally the car came with tube tires.

6. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    personally in search of a concorso condition (restored or original) Espada. PM me if you have or know of one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami

What a fantastic picture, 2 stars side by side (LM + Espada) :cool:

EarlyCat likes this.
  8. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    willrace and Peter K. like this.
  9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  10. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  11. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I'm restoring my SIII and I'm in the home stretch. Working on the dash now. Can anyone explain what this polished metal is and how to restore it?
    Thanks for all your time..

12. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
  13. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name: