Hagarty Insurance DENIED on my 2002 Ferrari 360 | FerrariChat

Hagarty Insurance DENIED on my 2002 Ferrari 360

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Steve Heck, Apr 27, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Heck

Steve Heck Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2021
    TO Canada
    Full Name:
    Steve Heck
    Guys, I could not be more angry and insulted by Hagarty and had to share

Here is the response from my insurance broker below that I just received ...
    Keep in mind I am 54 years old, I have no tickets and have actually had 4 cars previously insured by Hagarty, including a 900Hp pro-touring 69' Camaro.

Response from my broker
    "For your 2002 Ferrari 360 Hagerty unfortunately will not offer a quotation as you do not have 3 years “high performance vehicle” experience."

High performance ... really

Has ANYONE ever seen such BS !!??

Sincerely (annoyed)
    Steve

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear of this experience.
    This is where your broker needs to step in and fight for you.
    Being a broker is more than just selling you insurance and taking your money.
    If they won't fight for you and do their job, perhaps it's time to get a new broker........

Best wishes,
    GG

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have absolutely never heard that and wld go as far to say someone is trying to mess with you.

4. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    They mentioned this policy to me a few years ago but stated it was for if you owned a McLaren, but that the 3 year policy did not apply to Ferrari. Back and forth a few times they stopped responding to me and I ended up just insuring through state farm who gladly accepted my money

5. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    When I got my first 458 in 2020, I was denied because of less than a year of exotic ownership experience. Which was the truth.

Next year, denied because of less than 2 years experience.

I wonder - pure speculation - if this is due to exotics becoming more commonplace in the hands of the younger and riskier driver, popularity of YouTube hooning content merchants, etc.

It’s just simple math to them and it looks like it’s not good business insuring exotics.

And if they do give you insurance, it could be with a 500 mile per year stipulation at twice the price or some other nonsense.

Hope you find a company that works with you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    go to GRUNDY... despite having a fair number of cars Hagerty would not insure my F12 back in 2014 because it was over 700 hp.. I switched to Grundy then and never had another issue..

Gh21631, ShineKen, alum04org and 8 others like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my experience when an insurance company blows you off the stated reason is never the real reason.

Are you eligible for USAA? They give us smoking prices on our exotics.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Grundy is awesome

9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    They kept bugging me and bugging me about adding my cars to a policy with them, and I finally said "Ok, what are the comparative numbers to my current Geico policy?", and it was almost 40-45% more in an apples to apples comparison.

I have Hagerty on my E30, and that's it beyond the Geico policy. Maybe I'll go back to USAA for something in the future.

technom3 likes this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Lol, I tried getting track insurance a few weeks back, filled out their on line form, then finally got to the bottom of the page, where it asked me to select car make and model.

As soon as I entered Ferrari, it sent me a notice - Sorry, we no longer offer track insurance for Ferraris.

They clearly want nothing to do with us.

11. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    They told me the same thing on my FF a couple years ago.

12. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Very strange considering Hagarty is a “boutique” insurance company.

I have had no issues using conventional companies going back to ‘04 when I bought my 360 spider- used Progressive, then added on my Vanquish S in ‘05. Had my ‘17 F12 on it and now my ‘17 Vanquish & my wife’s C8 convertible. My 812 is on my Amica policy with a few of my other cars and they didn’t bay an eye…………

Strange…..very strange. Sorry to hear that ……

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Hagerty denied me on my GranTurismo. Had it with Progressive who has the rest of my insurance and other car, now truck. But they went nuts and wanted something like $2k/year for just the GT. Hagerty wouldn't take me. Tried switching both cars to Grundy and they took the GT but wouldn't insure the DD, at that time a little Ford Fusion.

Have had many folks say they insure all their cars with Grundy. They both seem like they have odd quirks at times. I had my 308 with Hagerty for over 10 years but that's been, dunno pushing 6-7 years ago now. Guess history doesn't matter either.

I hate insurance but what do you do, can't run without it.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’ve been with USAA for 35 years but they don’t have an agreed value policy, although I’m not sure that’s what the o.p. is looking for.

ScottS and technom3 like this.
  15. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    It is weird. I have Hagerty for a couple cars, the 355 can be driven by anyone I allow to that's older than 26, but no one else but me may drive the 07 V8 Vantage as it's considered a "supercar"...I'm like, a V8 Vantage is a "supercar"? Guy was like, yup, according to the rules, it is and no one but me is covered driving that car.

Baffles me, but as these situations don't arise often enough to worry about, the rules don't actually affect me much.

16. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Instead of a broker have you called Hagerty directly? I haven't had any problems with the 430 but when upgrading to the 458 they needed a higher deductible and the rate was a quantum leap to get it. I will be looking at all the others next year.

17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    American Modern, they do agreed value, Ive been with them for many years.

G

18. Steve Heck

Nov 1, 2021
    TO Canada
    Full Name:
    Steve Heck
    Morning all ... So, looks like a few of you have had a similar experience

Unfortunately I am in Toronto Canada, and our insurance is far more 'limited' and expensive than the US
    Little update, my broker finally convinced Hagarty that I have LOTS of experience with pricey & powerful cars over many years so they agreed to insure me ... and this is how they respond, (being cynical here) ... Sure Steve, we'd love to insure you, here's your quote of $4,000.00 for 12 months to stick up your $%^!

Thanks Hagarty ... but NO

Stay tuned for more updates, but again after having no less than 5 cars (forgot the 65' Shelby Cobra) previously insured by Hagarty how and why would they stick it to me like this ... Is it because it says 'Ferrari' on the side of the car ???

Extremely disappointing Hagarty, this is a car with just over 400Hp, 20 years old, collectible and fits the Hagarty insurance profile to a T ... WTF

Stay tuned ...

Cheers
    Steve

Caeruleus11 and Jdubbya like this.
  19. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I bet I can get McKeel in here to respond if you guys want.

20. Steve Heck

Nov 1, 2021
    TO Canada
    Full Name:
    Steve Heck
  21. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    #21 tstuli, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    Steve as you state insurance here is super regulated and there’s underwriting rules Hagerty has submitted. At first I had problems with them because of a very minor at fault which was automatic denial per their rules. I talked to them, explained and they agreed to insure if I was willing to take a higher deductible. I pay a bit over half of what you are quoted on the 430. I’m surprised of a quote of $4k for a 360 - what stated value did you give (which I was told dictates the majority of the premium cost).

Unfortunately I could not find anyone else in Ontario that offers what I consider acceptable insurance (agreed value) for these cars. Only other I could find was Chubb but they require to take your home insurance too (and have again specific rules for what types of homes they want to insure).

Good luck!

Steve Heck likes this.
  22. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    btw that was the previous year. They took me (see above post) this year. Note I just dealt with them directly and didn’t go through a broker. I got no where with the suggestions for Zehr. They took my info and went away for weeks saying they were working on a quote and never came back.

23. Steve Heck

Nov 1, 2021
    TO Canada
    Full Name:
    Steve Heck
    tstuli ... value I gave them was what I paid for the car, and the going rate for a good gated 360 these days ... $175K Canadian
    Truly, at 54 years of age and a now classic Ferrari I NEVER imagined insurance was going to be an issue

For the biggest insurer of classic cars in North America, they seem to be incredibly disconnected with the value of cars these days, I completely get that this is a mathematical game they play because at the end of the day they are insurers but C'mon ...

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    LOL.. when I looked at Hagerty a few years back they told me that I need to have a couple cars insured through them. And the rate they gave was twice what I got anywhere else. No thank you.

I get the impression from them that they like to insure the over 60 crowd who has a muscle car with 500 HP that they take from show to show or to C+C that they drive 50 MPH to get to. A great company for those with an "exotic" but who never drive it. I'll bet as ya'll say above Canadian underwriting rules are prohibitive. I'd ask them for a policy for a model-T and see what they give you! ;)

Also glad to see prices on 360's! I got my manual for wAAAAAAYYY less than that in the day....

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Ironically the performance of a 360 is lower than that of a new Civic Type R