Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 641 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As Raymond says, the original leather isn't readily available (actually you can source something very similar if you make a not inconsiderable effort), and the original artisan is usually not the one doing the restored interiors, so the style & characteristics tend to differ quite visibly - if you know what to look for. Another issue is restored cars are often owned by people who insist on the current thick bulky matte-finished leather being used and this in itself creates a difference in the finished appearance which is a departure from the original authentic finish, because the seams are less tight and the stitching has to be bigger to accommodate the thickness of the leather, and the overall patina of the leather is dull. Another mistake is the use if much less padding these days, causing the sitting area of the seats to wrinkle and the leather to become loose after just a bit of use. If I were a concours judge, I'd start in the interior of a restored car.

2. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Long time no see. enjoyed retirement, sort of. Doing my own things now. No more corporate non sense dealing.
    My question on this leather saga is, being 2024, why could not anyone perfectly replicate the original leather? I mean technology should help. Someone made it to start with.

mrp_e likes this.
  3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Discounted prices could also be due to the very aggressive policies toward shutting due gas cars in the EU and pushing EV. Hearing that cities will now forbid driving a gas car in them. These cars will be boat anchors there, never to be driven again

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It can be replicated, but to begin with there has to be a willingness to do so faithfully.

5. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon

Harry very excited by how his Countach now drives!

joe sackey, Tenney, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  6. Rapallo

Rapallo Rookie

Sep 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    nils johnsen
    great video ,my QV fulie does this ,and have for the 17 yeas in my ownership , with the maintnance required, no big deal , although, my car never had gearbox noices, Harry is for sure a good ambassador for our car, lots of talk back and forth, not sure i get it, my car have been basicly troublefree for as long as i owned it all good Countach is King

mrp_e likes this.
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The way any Countach should drive, sadly, so few do these days, once you've experienced one performing like it should, anything less is unacceptable, Bravo Harry.

It would if your car had been on the track and pushed as many times as Harry's has.

mrp_e and Rapallo like this.
  8. Rapallo

Rapallo Rookie

Sep 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    nils johnsen
    No question, my car has been babied compared to Harry s. Love his stories.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. Downdraft1

Downdraft1 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2008
    Although the factory built over 600 QV cars in total ('85-88.5) and about 50% seem to have been downdraft cars, it would be interesting to know the "guesstimate" DD breakdown:
    MY 1985 with Lamborghini gearbox DD
    MY 1985-1986 with ZF gearbox DD
    MY 1987-1988 with new power dome w/o side vents, new AC dash configuration, relay box, etc DD
    MY 88 1/2 DD

10. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    EarlyCat likes this.
  11. gutshot

gutshot Rookie

Dec 1, 2007
    Good doggo...great Bull!

Please explain that rear light panel with the indents. Thanks!

12. Downdraft1

Downdraft1 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2008
    Cars delivered to the Middle East also had such rear ends (and heavy duty air filtration

Schwafu likes this.
  13. gutshot

gutshot Rookie

Dec 1, 2007
    Thanks! Clean look

14. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Most owners prefer the non clean look :D

Boomhauer and EarlyCat like this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Heading back to the California desert.

Chassis n° FLA12835 was new to Alvin Charles Copeland founder of the Popeyes Chicken fast food chain.

The 1st owner of this Bianco/Rosso Countach rocket loved fast cars and fast boats, in fact, Al won 5 consecutive national Superboat championships from 1984 to 1988, and was an active racer in the American Power Boat Association, staging the Popeyes Offshore Grand Prix for many years.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mrp_e and Spyder-Man like this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    HLA12145 has been owned by the same man who special-ordered it new in 1987, when the time came for him to sell, we were asked to find his beloved jewel it's 2nd home.

It'll be joining a stellar Lamborghini Countach collection including another Downdraft and an LP400.

This one-off Downdraft features an Arancio Rosso Speciale interior based on leather he brought to the factory in 1987 for Bruno Paratelli to use, the only Countach thus appointed.

Chassis n° HLA12145
    Motor n° 1353
    Prod n° 1057
    Colore - Bianco
    Interiore colore - Pelle Arancio Speciale
    Consignment date - 05/08/1987
    Destination - SEA Sprung, Hannover, Germany
    Collected at the factory on on EE.490.AK plates

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    FWIW the erroneous information I saw being disseminated on instagram that shift-knobs were always covered in vinyl is obviously incorrect, the problem we have with accuracy is there are people running around making creative declarations to suit their own agenda on the basis of the limited knowledge of their one single car. Both shift knobs and steering wheels were alternately covered in leather or Naugahyde during Countach production, either can be correct, it depends on what the car was supplied with in the 1st place. HLA12145's control components were special leather.

PS - this totally original Downdraft also disproves additional erroneous information claimed on Instagram that no Countach left the factory with white wheels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spyder-Man likes this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Grazie Valentino, and grazie to the original owner for affording us the opportunity to purchase the car he collected at Sant Agata in 1987, so many stories here!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mrp_e likes this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    After fairly flying on the test drive, Valentino subjected it to critical review, if ever there was a case for how to take care of a car for 36 years, HLA12145 is a good example, needless to say it will continue to remain original.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    photo copyright: by me....!:)

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Photo copyright: by me....!:)

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you for giving us the opportunity to buy the car and working with us and Valentino to make this happen.

wbaeumer likes this.
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ciro Izzo, NürScud, audi_328 and 4 others like this.