Green air filter | FerrariChat

Green air filter

Discussion in '308/328' started by 1bigfish, May 3, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    K&N no longer makes a filter for 308/328’s. I researched and found a Green air filter that is supposed to flow more air than the K&N. I received it yesterday and installed it but have not driven the car. I have been running K&N filters in all my vehicles for years with very good success.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Nice filter, please send the link for purchase. I have a K n N, I would like to have this one as a spare.

Big G

3. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Thanks everyone for helping me with the paint code of my 88 328. Yesterday I took care of a few paint chips with a Dr. Color Chip repair kit. They matched the color perfectly. Very cost effective an
    [email protected]

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What is the brand name and the part number?

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    From Green's advert: (rant follows)

"The majority of paper filters are over an inch thick and the air has to pass through this barrier. The Green Cotton Filter is a fraction of this thickness and the deep pleated design creates a 10-20% increase in filtration surface area.

The result is that the air has far less material to pass through, which results in more oxygen in the fuel/air charge enabling it to burn more efficiently."

The claim indicates to me that they have never looked at a typical paper filter to see how it is constructed. But, of course, they know exactly how they are constructed but hope that consumers don't. In additional ad text they claim a 6.7% power increase on the dyno re a stock paper filter in the same engine. I've been involved in such tests by marketing people. The part they leave out was whether or not the test compared a Green filter with a NEW OEM paper filter as opposed to an old, clogged OEM filter. Yep, been there, done that, ran the dyno, printed the numbers, read the misleading copy in the magazine a month later.

Here's a test that I have done many times - engine with NEW OEM air filter vs same engine without air filter on dyno. Usually the difference was well within the tolerance of the dyno itself. If there is no difference between a clean stock filter and NO filter, a "magic brand" filter is not going to create additional HP out of the ether. TBF, the tests to which I refer were all on stock "performance cars/engines," from various manufacturers, not 'grocery getter' cars/engines. On a modified engine, a higher flowing air filter might, indeed, be required to produce maximum HP.

FWIW, if you are looking at air filter ads, flow rate claims, even if they are accurate, are useless. A claim that X air filter "flows" 20% more air than the OEM paper filter" is of no use unless the engine NEEDS 20% more air to make max power. If that's the case, then yes, clearly the OEM system was badly designed. But I never saw such a thing in the performance car world. OTOH, I have seen "high performance" bolt-ons reduce power over stock engines. ;)

I've said this previously based on a lot of experience with this stuff: do not believe ANY advertising claims from somebody who is trying to sell you something. What they have printed may not be a lie but it may leave out some very valuable information - like the fact that they were comparing their new item with an original, worn out/clogged, (whatever) item. Nowadays that is an even bigger issue because somebody on the internet can APPEAR to be objective but is receiving a payment if you buy a product via a link on their site or refer to them when ordering. Also, well-known car magazines can be the worst because they may have ads for the products they include in a test article. They are not going to give a poor review to any product that is advertised in the mag (or could be in the future). That's suicidal!

TBF, Green filters are probably as good as KN filters since they look the same, sound as if they are manufactured the same way and are serviced the same way. Heck, they may BE K&N filters that they buy and dye green!

I won't get into the actual filtering ability of KN/Green vs paper filters. I'll just opine that if you like/use KN filters I suspect these filters are a perfectly adequate replacement; IF I liked KN filters, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these instead. Certainly, like KN, the ability to routinely clean/reuse the filter can be considered an advantage. And hey, they're GREEN and being green is the hot marketing term nowadays! ;)

rjlloyd, djs308, Harry-SZ and 3 others like this.
  6. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    The

7. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Watch the for Green Filters and form your own opinion.

8. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
  9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  10. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    You are welcome.

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I was in the filter business for years and can tell you that all of the cotton gauze filters are near enough the same as to make no difference. K&N and Green filters when made are white and the colour you see is the colour of the oil. K&N was bought out about 10 years ago and the new owners started killing off really slow moving part numbers which is why most of the Ferrari applications are no longer available.