458 - Brake pad installation: grease? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Brake pad installation: grease?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Challenge, Apr 12, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Challenge likes this.
  2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #27 Challenge, May 6, 2023
    Last edited: May 6, 2023
    I took it out today and completed the 2nd half of the WSM pad bedding procedure (16 stops from 70 to 12 mph). The "clicking" has subsided to a slight "ticking" and has become less obnoxious. My belief is that it was pad material buildup on the rotor.

When I got back home, all the rotors are in the 155-165F range. This is nothing. Carbon ceramic can withstand so much higher temps that I think years of normal street driving--including siting at stoplights for 3 minutes mashing the brake--contributed to this issue.

I will post more after the next few drives.

05F430F1 likes this.
  3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes the parking brake is located at the rear. I think I had a click noise related to one of the parking brakes. I could only hear it when backing up. Went away

Brembo Pads went thru several modification to improve unwanted noise and other things too. Brembo pads have 3 D geometry to best address figment with their CC rotors,

if you are running other rotors and pads such as Geodisc and Pagid there may be some of issues such as unwanted noises which usually have no effect on braking performance or safety

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Perhaps. But they did a ****ty job. My front pads had this inner ring of extra wear as discussed here: Brembo Brake Flaw Problem Carbon Ceramic Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin - YouTube

My new front pads were redesigned with a different inner curvature so that less contact is made with the inner carbon fiber ring of the rotor.

5. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    View attachment 3521232

My F8 has the re-designed style with the ‘cut out’ or curvature of the pad so it avoids contact with the center carbon ring (so that’s good)—

as for cleaning the rotors, you want to add compressed air into the mix. Using a soap with no waxes or additives is good but, better than just wiping down with a dry microfiber like you said, is to blow them dry with either the BigBoi car blower (it’s awesome) or compressed air is best. The holes in the rotors can collect road debris etc and the air will clean these out— it REALLY sounds like you got some debris in/on that right side rotor which is causing this rotational clicking noise….

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Attached Files:

MalibuGuy and Challenge like this.
  6. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
  7. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    New Technilogies require continual improvement
    As owners put on miles this helps to uncover the issues.

The owners who don't put in miles allow Ferrari and their parts suppliers to remain blissfully ignorant of the issues.

Aftermarket support is an array where Ferrari should put more resources. This adds value in a way which is aligned with the Ferrari brand.

othereise owners end up having to find their own solutions. Often sourcing parts which are not OEM

Ferrari has the resources I hope leadership sees the value in this.

mdrums likes this.