Optimizing 246 carb jetting with O2 meter | FerrariChat

Optimizing 246 carb jetting with O2 meter

Discussion in '206/246' started by Nuvolari, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This past weekend a friend of mine loaned me a really cool tool and I used it to good effect in order to perfect the carburation jetting on our 308 and 246. The tool is the Innovate Motorsports LM-2 handheld oxygen sensor which has an adapter that allows you to temporarily place a Bosch oxygen sensor in the exhaust and analyse your air/fuel (AF) ratios while driving. Here is a link to the tool in case anyone is interested in learning more: https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

While much has been written about balancing carbs and setting the correct idle mixture there is not a lot out there discussing getting the jets correct for actual driving. Of course jetting will vary a lot depending on fuel, atmospheric conditions, and altitude but regardless of where you are the principles are the same. Reading spark plugs will get you in the ballpark but has a lot of shortcomings. O2 values are instantaneous and can be immediately co-related to conditions such as load, throttle opening, etc.

To this end we fitted the LM-2 to the exhaust, calibrated it by the instructions, and used on road testing to optimize the mixture. In order to get as accurate results as possible for each drive test we re-fitted the full airbox to replicate the natural ram air effect of the intake rather than run on open carbs. Our O2 tool has the capability of data logging and mapping but I preferred to drive with a passenger who could call out the values in real time. Doing multiple runs at various throttle openings and conditions allowed me to understand the full picture better when making jet selections. This combined with feeling how the car behaved with different jets allowed me to choose what I thought felt best but that still was within our target AF ranges.

As a point of reference AF ranges in the mid 12:1 range will generally make the most power while the best fuel economy is in the mid 13-14:1 range. Our target was a range in the high 12's-mid 13's to trade off a hair of power for a clean burn and sharp throttle response. Playing with an assortment of Idle jets, Air correctors, and high speed jets we were able to achieve that target bang on. We even played just outside of that range on some runs in order to feel how the car behaved differently. In the end our target range resulted in the best feel anyways so we went with that as our final setup.

In all the whole procedure took maybe 4-5 hours and was a great excuse for repeated high speed runs on the motorway :)

Here are some photos of the setup and of 'Dino' overlooking our work

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DinoLasse and dgt like this.
  2. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Interested to know how much different your jetting is from factory. Is this seat of the pants tuning or do you have any dyno numbers to confirm. I have altered the jetting some in the past and seems to run stronger but haven't had a chance to put on my dyno yet.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    We did not do any dyno tuning however we got to the point where making a singe jet change in either direction could both be felt and predicted and verified by the O2 readings. The goal was not to make the most power at wide open throttle: WOT (as is the case with dyno tuning) but to achieve the best balance of power, driveability, throttle response, and clean burning. Most time was spent figuring out part throttle cruise settings as well as transient between cruise and WOT. One thing we did find is that the settings did vary a little between having the airbox on and off and I suspect that the ram air effect of the side scoop (not possible to replicate on a dyno even with big fans) plays the biggest role in these differences.

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    This looks like a great tool. Do you feel you would get accurate readings at the end of the tail pipe as opposed to where O2 sensors are usually placed.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    O2 sensors are best placed at the base of the header before the muffler. In this position they are far enough from the open atmosphere that they are not affected at low engine speeds. The clamp on sensor is not accurate at idle and gives erratic numbers because air is sucked back onto the sensor through the exhaust tips. As soon as the engine speed picks up just a little then this problem goes away entirely and the numbers become very stable and predictable. I would not recommend this setup for setting up carbs at idle but would not hesitate at all to use this method for anything past say 1500 rpm.

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Interesting write up Rob. Did you end up with any jet changes compared to your starting point? I remember you recommended one jet size up from stock and I went for that solution with great success. This more engineered approach using a O2 sensor seems a bit more work intensive than the old style carb setting in 5 minutes I practiced....-:)

Best Peter

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Peter on the idle circuit stock is a 50 jet and I had been driving around with a 55 but found it a little rich for my liking. The engine had just a bit too much fuel smell and the O2 readings turned out to show mixtures in the 10:1 range with that jet. Conversely the stock 50 jets were just a little too lean where the engine would hesitate on acceleration and the O2 readings were in the high 14:1 range. The real sweet spot came in the harder to find 52 idle jets were the O2 numbers were in the mid-high 12:1 range and just cleaned up the exhaust without sacrificing throttle response or initial acceleration.

The high speed circuit was less sensitive and I chose to go with a setting that was a little leaner. I experimented with a number of different high speed jets and air correctors. I bounced back and forth between performance at wide open throttle to redline and part throttle to redline ensuring that I remained at a limit of 13.9:1 AF ratio. In the end it came down to using a 230 air corrector and either a 125 or a 135 main jet. Both offered great acceleration, and throttle response. The 135 would hover around a 12.2-12.9:1 AF while the 125 would be in the 12.6-13.7:1 ratio and I just liked the slightly leaner engine note better so I decided on the 125 main. Both a great ratios so it came down to personal preference.

synchro and pshoejberg like this.
  8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Interesting, on the dyno my car ran really lean above 3500rpm (main circuit) so retained the 0.50 idle, standard main jets t 1.25 but reduced the AC jet from standard 2.20 to 1.95. This increased the fuel air mix from 11.7 to 13.5.

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Tony are you sure about the numbers as you wrote them? I ask because a change of air corrector to a smaller one will yield more fuel and therefore a richer mixture. 13.5 is a LEANER mixture than 11.7. Is it possible that you inverted those numbers by mistake?

My experience is that a mixture lower than 12:1 is a little on the too rich side while a 13.5 is actually pretty good especially at the top end. Here is a decent little video that talks about air fuel mixtures and their pluses and minuses:

synchro likes this.
  10. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This is a cool thread. Reminds me of figuring out the jets on my Porsche bathtub race car in the early 70s. All I knew about then was checking the spark plug color. And of course I was mainly interested in full throttle performance in an under-powered car.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, my mistake! changing the air corrector reduces the volume of air entering the carb, the fuel volume stays the same so the mixture is richer.. With the standard 220 AC jet it was way to lean from 5000 rpm, not that I go there that often! 195 brought it back into line.
    Tony

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

As far as that "rich smell of gas lingering in your garage after Dino driving"
    I believe we all expect it to some degree in our garage :)

13. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    Rob, many thanks again for great dino246blog carb guideline and all your provided info here!
    Are there some new findings after driving under various conditions?

My colleague responsible for thermodynamics and gasoline engine combustion informed me that modern fuels have approx. 5-10% less caloric value than 1970.

Therefore, I have upgraded my idle jets from 50 to 55 with very positive impact - higher low end torque and flawless low rev acceleration even on alpine roads. Maybe a little bit too rich concerning smell and spark colour, so I will try 52 as next step.

As main jets I currently use 130 plus 205 air correctors - I am tending to follow Tony’s recommendation 125 / 195 to be on the safe side when doing long steep alpine climbs of 15-16% ( 9 degrees) but to go a little bit leaner under normal driving and part load conditions (thanks Tony as well)

Any new experiences and recommendations concerning main and air corrector jets?

Thanks in advance
    Ribolla

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow hard to believe its been 5 years since my original post. Honestly since setting the carbs back then I have not touched them. The engine pulls beautifully from idle and almost behaves like it has fuel injection. The only change was going to slightly hotter spark plugs as the combined driving I do really responded well to NGK BP5ES conventional plugs. I did the same on my 308 with equally good results.

15. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    Interesting!
    I use BPR7EIX (Iridium) - cooler plugs (Angst!) - but completely insensitive to rich carbs. The Iridium tip sparks even under heavy soot.

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I ran the exact same BPR7EIX for years and they worked well but actually found better results with the hotter non-iridium plugs. Also I learned that the irridium plugs are rated one heat level cooler than their number. That is to say that a 7 plug behaves more like a 6 plug so the difference is small but I found to have cleaner plugs with the BP5ES . These are not to be mistaken for BPR5ES plugs which loose some spark energy because they are resistor plugs. The BP5ES are a little harder to find but really work well. Also they are 1/3 the money of an iridium plug

17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    This kind of `hard to find'? :)
    https://www.amazon.com/NGK-BP5ES-6511-BP5ES-Spark/dp/B001GHEZ6G

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ive heard that you will be shipped the resistor plug though.

19. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Compared to when the cars were new, the gasolines today have reduced aromatic content (toluene and xylene) and also have added oxygenates. This is for environmental reasons. Like you have done the jetting should be richened up with modern gasolines.