Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | Page 84 | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    marcospace and Natan Tazelaar like this.
  2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Most of these bodies were designed and built by PF?

I don't think Ferrari would allow that these days. I'm guessing if the Sultan wants a special he's got to go through Ferrari SpA like any other schlep.

3. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Ferrari were alot more laxed in those day but still would have given the ok. Now days They do all the design in house so it would be expected it was done though them. The door maybe open a crack to consider a special one off via Pininfarina with Ferrari watching over with alot more input/control, for someone like the Sultan. But only a crack as that relationship look pretty damaged at the end. I do wonder if Jim caused some of that.

willcrook likes this.
  4. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, JG was the last to be able to create a one off without Ferrari involved. Right around the time Ferrari went in-house for its design work.

willcrook likes this.
  5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That's not exactly true. Touring have made a few one-off Ferraris after the P 4/5 was made, but crucially they never put the Ferrari badge on the cars. What I mean by this is that you can still have a one-off Ferrari commissioned from outside Maranello, you just might have trouble calling it a Ferrari.

NYC Fred and of2worlds like this.
  6. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    Can you name examples?

The 456 Straman convertible conversions do not have anything relations to Brunei.

marko.urbac likes this.
  7. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    What is the story behind them then ?

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario

9. Natan Tazelaar

Natan Tazelaar Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2006
    Netherlands; Texas USA
    Full Name:
    Natan Tazelaar
    My guess would be an improved cooling system to cope with the loss of power due to the local climate. Comparable maybe to what they did for their V8 Vantage (V550) fleet which ultimately brought forth the V600.

Natan

p_r_o_n_t_o likes this.
  10. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    Straman had a coachbuilding body shop in Costa Mesa that did convertible conversions on Ferraris and other brands.

technom3, marko.urbac and 4re4ever like this.
  11. marko.urbac

marko.urbac Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    @4re4ever I appreciate your effort but some of the photos you posted have already been uploaded to this thread and some others are misleading and have nothing to do with Brunei. Before posting any more photos, please go back through the pages (I know... there is a lot!) and check if any content has already been posted in here. Thanks for your understanding. Marko

12. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I don't claim to be a know it all. Part of being apart of a place like Ferrari chat is you share and learn things. It would be a pretty boring world if we knew it all. You also have freedom of speech here. Given the large amount of images I have shared so what if a couple have been posted before. Maybe you have nothing better to do with your time than try to be a keyboard warrior but most of us don't have all day to check every photo to make sure its not already posted in a thread let alone a 80 page plus one. I find your post misleading and offense. BTW I know a number of collectors that also thought the 456 Spiders images were also part of / had been in the Sultan's collection. So by posting those images a lot now know and a lot also got to see another beautiful version of the 456 (not misleading or a big deal). Thank you for sharing your 2 cents with me but please don't tell other members what to do or how to do it. Don't bother replying to this I do not have time for the drama, nor should anyone else have to deal with it. You shared your 2 cents and now I have shared mine subject closed move on. Simon

Boomhauer and 05F430F1 like this.
  13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Boomhauer and 4re4ever like this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

It is a centrifugal supercharger

Mirek and 4re4ever like this.
  15. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    She is a stunner. Any idea how many were made and how much power with the centrifugal supercharger added?

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Superchargers were never added by the factory.

Going from pure memory... This is something stramman in California had arranged.

17. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Oh I know the Factory didn't do it that's why I asked if you knew

technom3 likes this.
  18. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    Would you mind discussing Stramann conversions in the appropriate thread? The blue 456 convertible is very likely ZFFSP44A5S0100890.

According to FChat supercharger has been installed by a company called Vortech.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1995-ferrari-456-straman-supercharged-spyder.78343/

marko.urbac likes this.
  19. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it.
    Like I told the person above don't tell other members what to do.

No rules are not being breach and people are not being talk to rudely by posting a little something different to a thread.
    Most thread here on Ferrari Chat talk and share other models and even other brand models in a model specific thread. It never goes on much more that a few post or couple of pages if there is a lot of interest. A little something different now and then is great. In most cases it introduces others to something they haven't seen.

Right let get back on topic

All the best Simon

willcrook likes this.