Shell x100 motor oil | FerrariChat

Shell x100 motor oil

Discussion in '206/246' started by npwmd2, May 21, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Does anyone have a retailer for the Shell oil?

2. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    Shell "x100" brand is no longer in production.

If you are looking for the best suitable Dino engine motor oil, you have to consider that original Ferrari engine oil was full synthetic Shell 20w50, whereas Lancia used full synthetic AGIP or Mobil 10w50 for the stratos. They always implemented the latest and greatest lubrication technology...

After long investigation and discussions with my colleagues (my profession is engine development) we found out that the most suitable oil for Dino engines is Mobil 1 5W50.
    - hot viscosity similar as STRATOS oil
    - cold viscosity better than 1974 - better cold start protection
    - reasonable ZDDP - camshaft protection
    - relative high content of sealant conditioner
    - resistant to Dino engine gear & chain drive (in contrast to 20w50)

For several reasons, it is nonsense to use mineral 20w50 for a Dino when Ferrari/Lancia used full synthetic 10w50 oil 50 years ago.

Hope I did not start an oil thread again as 3 Dinoisti = 5 opinions on engine oil ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jack-the-lad and Ferraripilot like this.
  3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  4. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    Thanks for the clarification- the correct one is the X2 5w50 - former “Peak Life”

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    how do you know the super x was a full synthetic?

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I can only assume @Ribolla_67 has some dated Shell Oil Co. documents to prove the claim.

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    To my knowledge, Shell X 100 pre-dates synthetic motor oils for sale to the general population. It certainly was not synthetic when I was using it in the 1960s.

TTR and Edward 96GTS like this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #8 TTR, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
    That has always been my understanding too, but I wasn't using any motor oils back then nor have I bothered to research the details.

OTOH, 40+ years of successfully using conventional, non-synthetic oils, mainly 20W-50, in hundreds of 1970s and older vintage cars for hundreds of thousands of miles, I'm content to continue with the "nonsense".

TonyL and DWR46 like this.
  9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Another vote for "nonsense" in pre-Testarossa Ferraris.

Edward 96GTS and TTR like this.
  10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My concern, amongst a few others, in using a full synthetic oil is the gear driven pump. Was it designed back in the 70's as any thing else but 20W/50. Any good quality 20W/50 oil from a reputable manufacturer is a pretty safe choice imho

I use the Castrol Classic car XL 20w/50, but others have their own preference.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :)

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ive been considering joe gibbs driven 15-50 motor oil. the oil seems to be of very high quality. im currently running swepco 20/50 in my daytona.

swift53 likes this.
  13. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    What I meant is the following:
    Lancia recommends 3 full synthetic 10w50 oils for the Stratos engine - for road use and competition. Why did they do so in 1974?

Why did they (Ferrari engineers) not recommend mineral 20w50?

One of the reasons: Because mineral 20w50 contains up to 30% viscosity index improvers - and these specific molecules get milled by gear oil pumps, but more Dino specific by gear and chain drive, so you end up with a 20w30 which is definitely too thin for a Dino. Synthetic base fluids have a significant better natural viscosity index and stay stable even under heavy mechanical stress.

With other words: 20w50 mineral does not like geared oil pumps, gear drives and chain drives.

So let’s follow the advice of Ferrari and Lancia engineers…

JCR likes this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How exactly did you establish “joe gibbs driven 15-50”(?) “seems to be of very high quality” and/or perhaps even superior to, let’s say “swepco 20/50”(?) ?
    Just curious.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #15 TTR, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
    Would you mind providing contemporary (engineering) documents from Ferrari and/or Shell Oil Co. indicating their assessment/development, recommendations and proof of use of this “full synthetic 20W-50 Shell oil” in late 60’s/early 70’s Ferrari engines, including Dino V6’s ?

16. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    In English, the tribological term would be "sheared" instead of "milled". Porsche did issue a TSB for using modern synthetics in the old air cooled engines that originally used mineral oils.

17. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Do you may have a copy of this TSB?

18. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    No I don't. I have seen it posted as a .pdf multiple times on either pelican parts or rennlist years ago. I would look there.

TTR likes this.
  19. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    This whole debate is moot because X100 is no longer available. The question is do we go to synthetics or what?

20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #20 pshoejberg, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
    It's a religious and endless discussion. That said, I'm of cause using modern fully synthetic oil in all my cars despite their age or configuration - period. I have NEVER experienced any negative issues such as increased tendencies for leaks, engine failures etc. I also keep the oil in the engine for more than one year - scary stuff I know. Funny enough I feel this discussion is brought up and kept alive mostly by members outside Europe;) - Over here we seem to have accepted modern lubrication technology? Save your money on expensive "special" oil and yearly change out despite hardly any use. Spend your money on petrol and go drive the car - That will extend the life of your engine and drive train significantly for sure. And by the way I know nothing about lubricants so go ahead and shoot me down.

Best, Peter

Nuvolari, Ribolla_67 and TTR like this.
  21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I agree on most of this ^^ and wish to add that most people concerned about which oil to use tend to be not only Americans, but usually those who don’t actually drive/use their cars much, if at all.
    I would say the bottom line is that a plenty of regular driving/use and adequately scheduled maintenance are the best service one can do for their pride and joy, regardless of their favorite lubricants, none of which would be readily available for general public if they were considered or known to be truly harmful.

Ribolla_67 and pshoejberg like this.
  22. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Best quote I ever heard regarding the "Oil Question" was, "I use xxxx Type. But every oil is better than no oil at all!"

TonyL, pshoejberg and TTR like this.
  23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Best advice i can give - if you are unsure seek the expertise of a oil supllier of your choice. I chose Castrol and contacted the technical bods several years ago and they recommended the oil best for my car. Stuck with that ever since and happy.

24. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    Which oil would Franco Rocchi and Aurelio Lampredi recommend for the Dino Engine if they were still alive?

At least we know exactly what these great engineers decided in 1972 for the 2,4 litre - all 3 officially released options were full synthetic base oils:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ESSO and MOBILOIL merged, so today, the current oil is Mobil 1 X2 5W50 (with Porsche A40 release btw.).
    This is my personal recommendation for people who really drive their Dino, and specifically who drive them as they were intended - WOT - as Sandro Munari did with his Stratos.

AGIP does currently not produce a suitable oil .

But of course feel free to fill in what you believe ...

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    @Ribolla_67 Excuse my ignorance, lack of fluency in Italian and petroleum engineering, but I still can’t see clearly documented reference to use or manufacturing of “fully synthetic” (engine) oils in Dino era vehicles by either Ferrari, Shell Oil Co. or any other lubricant producer or automobile manufacturer of that period. :confused: