David Carte RIP | FerrariChat

David Carte RIP

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, May 22, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1 Marcel Massini, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
    Very sad, terrible news today:
    World class Ferrari restorer David S. Carte of Edinburg, VA/USA, passed last night (22 May 2023 at 1.30 am) after a long battle with cancer. He died peacefully in the Blue Ridge Hospice in Winchester/VA. He was 63 years.
    David was the owner of Classic and Sport Auto Refinishing, Inc.. Specializing in restoration of Vintage Ferraris and a few other marques. Over the years David restored numerous Pebble Beach entrants, mainly Ferraris, for clients like Bill Marriott, Peter S. Kalikow, Jimmy Page, Rear Admiral Robert Phillips, and many others. David Carte was extremely skilled and THE man for Pininfarina and Scaglietti (and also Vignale) bodied Ferraris of the 1950s and 1960s and extremely knowledgeable about 250 GT Cabriolet Series One and 250 GT California Spiders. David was a longtime member of the IAC/PFA and his aim was always preserving and restoring the cars back to as close to their "as new" state as possible. Over the many years I have learned a lot from David and I am most thankful for that. Besides his family David loved his Porsche 356 SC Coupé, the 1970 Dodge Challenger TA and the Plymouth Road Runner TX.

My sincere condolences go to David's wife Bernice, and his three daughters.
    We all have lost a very dear friend and a truly wonderful man.

David, may you rest in peace. I will never forget you.

Marcel Massini

ggjjr, 330BRC, crinoid and 35 others like this.
  2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I knew David was ill and fighting a tough battle, but this is sad news. David was one of the "good" guys in the Ferrari hobby and restoration business. We go back about 40 plus years in our friendship and mutual enjoyment of the cars. His work was first class, but he was not too proud to admit he did not know all the answers and we shared good times learning from each other.

ggjjr, 1monza, shaughnessy and 7 others like this.
  3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    throughout many years, david and i corresponded via emails. his ferrari knowledge of the most mundane was impressive. i met him at a couple of the big shows, he was a quiet man and generous with his time.
    rip

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On top of his talent David was a very quality individual and was widely respected for that. During my time on the IAC/PFA board his knowledge of the topic never failed to impress me and it was by no means limited to vintage Ferraris.

Rest in Peace David.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Rest in peace good friend.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very sad news. My sincere condolences to his family.

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    David Carte at Villa d'Este exactly 20 years ago in 2003.
    Looking into the engine bay of Mr. Kalikow's 400 Superamerica Cabriolet #2331 SA. One of the many Ferraris David restored to perfection.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

zstyle, 330BRC, Gh21631 and 15 others like this.
  8. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    I heard the news of David's passing this morning. While I am sad at the news, I am glad he is no longer suffering from the pain.
    I've known him for 30 years. He was extremely knowlegeable and willing to share it and his time. He was a humble man with a great sense of humor.
    Many of our phone calls and e-mails usually started or ended with jokes. He was truly one of the good guys in the Ferrari world and I will miss him terribly.
    My sincere condolences to his family and friends. We lost a great one today.

9. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Great picture Marcel. Thank you for posting it.

Ryan S. likes this.
  10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    very sad news. He, and others of course, gave me friendly advice when I was restoring my 275 even though it wasn't his project.
    RIP David.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    RIP - always available for a call and advice over the years.....remarkable kind person...

Very sad day for sure...

12. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I never met him, and only knew him by his brilliant reputation. My only connection to him was that he refinished some parts on my car when it was undergoing some major work over the last year. Some of the parts I installed myself…and I feel lucky to have those parts since I know they were done 100% correctly. May he rest in peace.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Same here. I only knew him casually from having met him a few times at pre-Cavallino parties. But I knew his work through the Ferraris he restored for a friend of mine, and based on my friend’s stories I wish I’d known him better.

14. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Dinosaurs,

As much as we did not want this day to happen, the inevitable came to pass and the seemingly endless rounds of debilitating chemo have come to an end. Over the past forty three years David and I have become close friends and his relentless pursuit of perfection proved invaluable as we worked together in the eight year major conservation project on (as he called it ) “the Lil Blue Car”. Under judging at different venues by the IAC/PFA rules it garnered six 100 point results including the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance where it also earned the Enzo Trophy for being the best Ferrari on the field as awarded by Piero Ferrari and Jean Todt. It earned Best of Show Comp car at Cavallino in 2009, Best of Show and five other trophies at the FCA National in 2010. The majority of the credit for these excellent results were because of David’s insistence on originality and attention to detail, and I will be forever grateful for his guidance and friendship. His experience and expertise on the early Ferrari cars was unparalleled, the exemplary results for the Lil Blue Car are just one example of his remarkable talents.

The Phillips Family sends our condolences to Bernice, Crissey and grandson Eli, it was our privilege to have known and worked with him, and he will be sorely missed.

RIP dear friend!

Best regards,

Robert

David are you sure it will fit?

Early misty morning at Pebble Beach 2008

PB 2008 Ist Place Comp Ferrari and Enzo Trophies

DennisForza, ggjjr, 330BRC and 26 others like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thank you for those pictures Admiral.

ggjjr, Hawkeye and 4redude like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    David's untimely passing is a stark reminder to all of us of a certain age to get a colonoscopy. I scheduled mine yesterday.

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Easiest way, do it as a Birthday present. You will never forget, as you should do all the other fun tests at that time.

It is still great to be around :)

Never had the pleasure of meeting David, too bad.

My regrets to the family and ALL hid friends.

Regards, Alberto

18. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Because i'm a pathologist, i recommend it very strongly.

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    its never too early for the scope. caught early its curable. unfortunately for David it was too late.

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I believe one of David's early endeavors was my late father's 250 GT, s/n 1245 restoration. My dad purchased the car in 1988. It was a rolling chassis that Algar had rebuilt engine and drivetrain. The rest was literally in baskets and boxes. David was instrumental in restoring the car to its ultimate grandeur in 1992. At the Pebble Beach Concours in 1993 David's beautiful work won the car and my dad a best in class award. Somewhere I have a picture of my Dad and Mom being handed a trophy on the stage by Sergio Pininfarina.

I never had the pleasure of meeting David. But my Dad was very happy with not only David's work but also the experience in working with him to re-build the 250 from scratch.

May he rest in peace......

Ryan S., Nembo1777, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  21. GrrenBayDino

GrrenBayDino Rookie

Sep 24, 2013
    I’ve read with great interest the comments about my dear friend, David Carte. He was one-of-a-kind. The most knowledgeable man in the Ferrari restoration community and with a heart as big as anyone can imagine. Extreme knowledge, dedication, kindness, ethics and moral fiber unmatched in the industry. I’ve also read the comments regarding the wisdom of getting colonoscopies. I am very familiar with David’s medical background, and you should all be aware that David was extremely proactive in getting colonoscopies and other tests over the years. In the last three decades, it was his practice to get a colonoscopy every 3 to 5 years, whereas the recommendation is once every 10 years. So he was doing MORE than what the medical community recommends. Furthermore, David had just gotten a “clean“ colonoscopy report only 23 months before he was diagnosed with cancer. So getting regular colonoscopies, while a prudent thing, is not a guarantee that you’re going to get early enough notice or “beat cancer“. To suggest that David was negligent in not doing that is an affront to his memory. David fought like no one I’ve ever seen to conquer this disease, and he did everything he could in the last decades of his life to make sure it did not afflict him. Despite his best efforts, and going over and above what the medical community was recommending, the disease eventually conquered him. It is a true tragedy. He leaves a loving wife, Bernice, one of the nicest persons you could ever imagine, and three beautiful daughters, plus five wonderful grandchildren. RIP my great friend. - Dennis Garrity

22. jgerhard

jgerhard Rookie

Nov 3, 2005
    Family and friends have asked me to correct some misinformation about DC's condition. David did have colonoscopies since he was 40. He had them as prescribed. I am sure he and his family were shocked to learn 23 months after his last colonoscopy that he had stage four cancer.

Texas Forever and Edward 96GTS like this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I am well aware of David's condition and was not suggesting that he was in any way negligent. It was merely an opportunity to recommend that folks get a colonoscopy--advice that David offered to others frequently.

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I first met David in person on the show field after he had helped me with some details on my Dino restoration. He was a gentleman and incredibly kind. I have always found that the very BEST people in the restoration world are the ones who are comfortable enough with their abilities to be able to compliment the work of others. On that day he was really enthralled with my project and later on I would get the occasional call from him asking how to do this or that. It meant the world to me that I was able to help him out as he did me and from the messages shared here, I was not alone in my reverence for David. So sorry to hear of his passing and wishing his family strength during this difficult time.

ggjjr, 350HPMondial, SCantera and 6 others like this.