355 - 355 Spider Chasing down leak | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 355 Spider Chasing down leak

Discussion in '348/355' started by Johnnieblack115, Apr 23, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Yes.

Teflon tape on the brake lines? STOP and fix that right now.

Brakes are nothing to be screwed around with. That's agreat way to kill yourself.

cavlino likes this.
  2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, that is it. The high pressure line metal fitting, The rubber hoses next to it is the return line. Is it leaking? It looks really wet.

3. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    Tough to tell, the reservoir is dry to the point there was no mess when I removed it. So nothing is leaking at the moment

I had a mechanic redo the brake junction properly so that’s working as expected now

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cavlino and WATSON like this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think you have to clean all of it up, and fill up the reservoir, and run it again for 15 minutes to see where the leak is coming from. The return line from the firewall looks dubiously wet at the connection. Is there a puddle in the middle of the engine V?

Johnnieblack115 and WATSON like this.
  5. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    I was lamenting doing that (making a mess) but fortunately the valley of the engine appears dry. Definitely evidence of coolant spilling at some point as there’s minor corrosion on so hardware but no evidence of PS fluid. I’ll hook the reservoir back up and run the system and look out for leaks in real-time.

Right now I’m guessing it’s the return line

6. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, drop the gas tank. Fun times.

But before I do that, I would absolutely confirm the leak is coming from that line, and / or coming from the 22mm-17mm connection.

cavlino likes this.
  8. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    So in one of the pictures on a previous post, you can see some exposed threads where the high pressure meets the firewall. Should I try torquing those down? If so, the nut closer to the firewall or the one that’s on the line that comes from the pump?

9. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
  10. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Lets hope there's no teflon tape there! Just kidding sorta.. i think you can get decent access to that through the wheel well. Have tonlift car and remove tire and wheel house covers. I may have a photo

11. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Nope no photo with the right angle

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  13. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    That’s the union, exactly. For now my course of action is to get the tank back on, fill it, run the car and watch. I removed and placed the high pressure line back on at the junction (no tape!) and torqued it down a thread or so more. Hoping it was something silly like that, expecting it’s something more expensive that’s harder to get to

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Good luck. I hope you find the leak. It the tank empties out then it has to be a pretty big leak so it should be obvious while the engine is running with the cover off. Be sure to turn the steering wheel to force the fluid through the system.

Johnnieblack115 likes this.
  15. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    Update: the leak is seemingly resolved. Not sure if tightening everything or fiddling with the high pressure line did the trick but the reservoir is maintaining pressure. I think the pump gave up the ghost though as it started out promising driving through my neighborhood but got heavy 10 minutes into my drive. Reservoir still holding at good level.

I also pinched the small coolant line at the metal clamp that runs from the firewall to the tank so had to handle that fine mist getting sprayed everywhere.

Thank you everyone for the help! Gonna take a week or so before I start shopping for a pump.

cavlino and Qavion like this.
  16. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    Update: took the car out for 30 minutes. Had a blast, heavy steering and all. Parked the car and came back a few hours later to a massive ps fluid puddle under the car after turning off. Would this indicated a return line problem or the fact that the pump is likely also out caused excess pressure to accumulate under the reservoir? Before I rip it all apart I wanted to see if the crack team on here may have some ideas

17. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    If you did not fill and bleed the PS system properly and just ran the pump dry (airbound) then you likely wrecked the pump seal(s) . That would result in a leak from the seal. The fact that you had no PS assist after the reservoir went dry tells me it wasn't bled properly. Usually gravity does the job for you, but not always.

18. Johnnieblack115

Johnnieblack115 Karting

Nov 18, 2022
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Walker
    It’s a sizable leak but it’s peculiar that it didn’t leak until the car was off, and more importantly, like an hour after shutdown