512 BBi A/C compressor clutch | FerrariChat

512 BBi A/C compressor clutch

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by paul33, May 25, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hello,
    I already mentioned in some post that the A/C compressor clutch on my 512 BBi (1982 #41507) didn't work (noisy hissing when on).
    After controlling the liquid (R134) was full and the voltage on the solenoid, I came to dispose the compressor (Borletti Aspera Frigo HG 700AP according to workshop repair manual)).
    Conclusion:
    1- the bearing is damaged and I managed to find the right one since it is no more available thru usual parts suppliers in Europe.
    2- the surface of the plates of the mechanical clutch is very smooth which can explain that there is no more grip for a good clutch.
    "Of course", I can't find a new clutch by the traditional vendors!
    So that I was thinking to straighten the plate's surface and give a rough surface (scratching or sand blasting?) to favor a good clutch between the 2 plates.
    Does any Fchatter has some experience of what is the best suitable way of solving my problem, or , of course, if I could find a new clutch for this compressor.
    Thank you very much for any advice on the matter.
    Jean-Paul

2. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Jean-Paul,

Not sure that this will work. Could be that it destroys clutch. If it is not parallel….
    I personally would prefer to find a spare part.

You might try this company for repair or exchange:
    https://www.swisclima.ch/
    They have lots of Ferrari compressors. Never worked with them up to now.

Actually the Aspera compressor is a licensed York compressor. See lots of info on fchat if you type in „aspera frigo“ in the search function.Might help for parts or exchange to York unit.

Actually there seem to be alternatives for the clutch - see this thread:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ac-part-numbers-available.338727/#post-140841466

Hope it helps. Let us know.

All the best
    Cc

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Are you coming to LMC end of the month ?? I will be delighted to see it

4. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    # Fchatters: FYI, the straightening of the clutch's plates didn't work. Swisclima doesn't sell the compressor even if they show it with price on their website...
    My garage found one, repro. So that I have my former compressor, as new, without clutch for sale, in case.
    #Zaza: I will not go to LMC, sorry.