ESC and AVH and Suspension control failure with new 812GTS | FerrariChat

ESC and AVH and Suspension control failure with new 812GTS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eryoong, May 24, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    Hi,
    I got my 812GTS about 2 weeks ago, and occasionally, I see the failures mentioned. I dropped the car at the dealer once, and they said a sensor was replaced, but I am seeing the failures again.
    A few days ago, I saw them when I braked too hard. Now, I see them when I change gears; for instance, the failures appeared when I wanted to reverse, and it took me several pushes to put the R gear, and then the failure appeared.
    The car was made last January but was delivered to me in May because the dealer had internal issues. I believe they didn't put the tender on, and I only started using it about 5 days ago. Could it be a battery issue? The tender light was green after 12 hours after the orange color.
    Any suggestions?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Battery is the likely culprit for that sequence of errors. Been through that with 458 and F12, same issue. It is intermittent as the battery starts to fail.

RamsHmb, Caeruleus11 and Eryoong like this.
  3. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    Thank you ryalex.
    Do you think it will improve gradually if I put the tender on, like every day?

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No. Do yourself a favor and have it replaced. Five months without a tender and that OEM battery has to go even if they say it tests OK. You should have enough clout to get it replaced under warranty seeing as you bought new and there was a big delay in getting it. Be nice and reasonable with them.

Lukeylikey, ryalex and Eryoong like this.
  5. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    Thank you!
    But are we sure that it is because of the battery?
    I am in touch with the dealer and I will see what they say.

6. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    We can never be sure it's just the battery. But indeed, that's probably the cause of 80% of these kind of issues. So it makes sense to swap the battery first before starting swapping ECUs, harnesses or sensors.

JariT likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I know the dealer does not use a tender when I get the annual. Its usually a 2 to 4 day drop off or more depending on weather. The battery is definitely not charged as when I left it. If you are sure the GTS was left for 5 months on an crappy OEM battery and you have software errors then no reason not to ditch that battery. The only question I would have is the possibility there are multiple failures - battery and electronics. Do a search here on battery issues and throwing codes so you get a better idea. Its a very popular topic.

Eryoong likes this.
  8. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    My gut says its a battery that has lost voltage. I do not trust the dealer that it was on a tender the whole five months.

Eryoong likes this.
  9. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    The battery is indeed the culprit in many instances, it’s amazing how sensitive these cars are if the battery is not 100% perfect. But the good news is that a lot of errors can simply be fixed by charging the battery or replacing it. Like other members said, charge it first and if it does not work, replace the battery (under warranty if possible due to your unusual situation just after a few weeks of ownership following months at the dealership).

Eryoong likes this.
  10. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    It's a good idea that they switch the battery and then check the car.

ryalex likes this.
  11. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    The car will be dropped at a dealer near me, not the one where I bought the car, as the one near me is newly opened, and I will let them know your opinions. We will see...

12. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    I didn't mention it, but there was also a failure of E-DIFF recovery, and I have searched here and found out that other models are showing this issue and that was because the gearbox and gearbox were switched, etc, which really made me concerned.
    I don't see the E-DIFF failure much, but it did show up a few times.
    Any comments?

13. LMP

LMP Rookie

Aug 11, 2022
    Florida
    You are correct when battery reaches a certain voltage below what is needed lights will pop up ! My GTS did this last week after eating somewhere! Several failures popped up. Mine has been on a tender since November when I got it.. car sat for a while a factory before shipping… my Ruf ctr3 did the same after 3 yrs but only when using shift paddles !

14. wb200

wb200 Rookie

Dec 26, 2013
    Tokyo
    Ferrari OEM batteries I had in the past were beyond bad. Since then I’ve been asking my dealer to change the battery before I even pick up a new car. Had pretty good experience with Odyssey.

Eryoong likes this.
  15. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    Thank you for the information, :)
    It's shocking to me still, that even if it is an OEM battery and even the car sat for a few months, failures would be shown.
    My BMW sat in the garage for a few months and everything went well.;)

16. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    Do any of you believe the "E-DIFF recovery" is related to battery too?

17. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I had this come up on my 812SF last year as well, they finally changed the battery for me. Finally being that they charged it up first which I insisted they do not. Once the battery change happened, no more messages. DO not be concerned. I also had this happen on my 458 Italia that the E diff recovery showed, after the battery swap all was well.

Eryoong likes this.
  18. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    T
    Thank you!
    What’s the mileage when your Superfast changed battery?

19. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I had all the same warnings on my SF and it was the battery (including ediff). GTS has been on a charger religiously and no issues. My money in on the battery.

Eryoong likes this.
  20. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    Thank you.
    It’s shocking, as the car is only a few months old.

RamsHmb likes this.
  21. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    My GTS threw 5 error codes on multiple occasions with less than 400 miles. Was at the dealer multiple times. The dealer reset the code monitor and I put it in heated garage and charged it for over a week. I did not get the battery changed but I’m now at 1300 miles since Jan and no issues. My $0.02 is hang in there and don’t worry. Dealer will take care of you with a new GTS. Try the battery change and if not, give it a good solid charge and make sure the charger connection surface is fully clean.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RamsHmb likes this.
  22. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    The dealer said that after the computer detection, it was found that the accelerator and the brake were stepped on at the same time, and asked me if I had this driving habit. I don't. They also said that it might be due to the software, and they will communicate with the Italian engineers to solve it by updating the software. I mentioned the battery problem reported by other car owners, and the engineer said that the battery test of my car was completely normal.o_O

23. Eryoong

Eryoong Rookie

May 24, 2023
    Hi Everyone,
    At present, the reply given to me by the 4S shop is as follows:
    1. The battery is fine. They used tools to test and found the battery to be healthy.
    2. They thought it was a problem with the brake switch, and after a few days, they replaced it with a new one. They think this will solve the problem once and for all.
    What do you think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Since the nearest dealer to me is 300 plus miles, I would not be happy with having to ship the car back and forth for an intermittent problem or other issues with the electronics.

25. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Post "Covid" production is far below the acceptable in multiple departments and I am not just talking about Ferrari. Paint with Ferrari was always an area for great concern, but lately it got so much worse. Paint is now so thin that measurements must be done prior to getting it paint corrected. Layers are simply too thin in certain areas where they try to save anywhere possible. Paint is also water based, not like in the old days, neverminded the bumpers.........OUUFFFF Also heard from many that clear coat needed to be redone completely where paint correction could not resolve the issue. Then the emission sensors........... I wish I could just rip that Stop and GO button out once and for all, but government regulations made it impossible nowadays for any NA cars. With that said, charcoal canister, H2O sensors are too sensitive so check engine light lights up here and there. This is the part where I will deal wit the headache to enjoy my V12 NA feel :) Then the finishing touches. Lots of imperfections with the body alignments, where gaps are so visible and all has to get properly set in place by someone who knows what they are doing and its owners expense. Most would never pay attention, but for those who do, it's just a headache and time wasting to deal with. Service is key and some of us luckier than others, depending on where we reside. Good dealerships are hard to find as finding knowledgeable workforce lately is extremely difficult. At the end of the day.............on occasion I miss the 458 spider where having it for many years just gave me pure joy without any troubles.......yes...the sticky buttons had to be replaced :)