I love my Ferrari, but.... (fill in the blank) | FerrariChat

I love my Ferrari, but.... (fill in the blank)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Shabadoo, May 2, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shabadoo

Shabadoo Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    I have a Portofino, and the infotainment is just terrible. Even had the original owner spec'd out Carplay ($5k option wtf) it would still be terrible.

So, what are your complaints of these *amazing* cars we're so lucky to drive?

2. lilsammy

lilsammy Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    SM
    Yeah, our Portofino M's non-carplay system is so horrible I kinda just wanna gut it out and use the center as a sunglasses holder/storage bin

3. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Getrag dct speed sensor harness routing bad design, weak leather adhesive, and sticky buttons in that order. I'm willing to give a pass on the subpar audio.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You don't buy one for the Apple car play.

I know -- its a lot of money,

But what you pay for are the engine, the gearbox, the steering, the sound, the brake feel, the body design, the interior materials, the exclusivity, and the prancing horse logo stuck on the back.

What you don't pay for: anything electronic or electric, the paint, functionality, HVAC, controls, reliability, and the dealer experience.

That's been true since the 80's.

Sunshine1 and alex like this.
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No “but” on my Portofino, the infotainment I really don’t use so no issues there for me. I use my Apple device for directions and phone calls which I answer by pressing a button on the car’s screen. The exhaust note and Hi-Fi upgrade is just wonderful. The car is super comfy and my DD.
    The “but “ on the F8 spider is it sounds like my Dyson vacuum cleaner.

vjd3 likes this.
  6. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    love my Portofino BUT.....
    1.The electronics are out of date. Updates should be easily available but are not at all. In today's age, electronics are as important as the mechanics
    2. Reliability and the dealer experience should be second to none. It is NOT. I see no excuse for that.

So yes, there is a big BUT which detracts from the pleasure of having a Ferrari

7. Shabadoo

Shabadoo Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    I'm actually going through my first dealer service experience with the Portofino and it's been great so far.

8. Shabadoo

Shabadoo Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    I'm thinking of mounting an iPad and using that for music/navigation.

Cigarzman likes this.
  9. kestrou

kestrou Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    At the risk of inviting slings and arrows...

My 2007 F430 Spider doesn't have cruise control - I know, I know, it's made for "active driving"... :)

And it doesn't have a built-in means of triggering the garage door opener, although several have hacked an existing button for this and embedded a circuit board.

Kevin

10. masguy40

masguy40 Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kerry Lemos
    Paint chips the size of Golf Balls peeling off the bumpers.....

11. kestrou

kestrou Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    Ouch! That would be a PROBLEM!!!!

12. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    ... the battery goes flat if I don't lock the car and don't notice the internal light stays on ...

13. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I love my Ferrari but it is only one Ferrari. I would like more Ferraris.

CCallaud, NZCREW and Twosherpaz like this.
  14. mdwac

mdwac Rookie

Sep 30, 2007
    love my Ferrari....but 4 years and 9K miles from new and it needs $30K of repairs in order to get it into shape to CPO for when I trade it in. Headliner has fallen ($4K), both headlights in the front are discolored ($10K), door broken where it attaches to frame ($5K), leaking oil from somewhere ($5K), something else I can't recall.

Great car, happy to get my new one. But Ferrari build quality is pretty weak

15. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    If you think Ferrari service is expensive, try a Mercedes. $45,000 for two cars annual service this month! SLR and SL65

16. williamD

williamD Rookie

Mar 5, 2023
    Algarve, Portugal
    Full Name:
    William D
    I love my Cali T but....

The infotainment system feels like it was developed in the 80's... in DOS!
    The dealer/warranty/service experience has been sub par - disorganised and slow. I expected expensive but assumed the service level would reflect that, guess I've been spoilt with the quality of Porsche customer service.

But I smile every time I see it, start it and drive it and that seems to be worth all the above and more...

Also do the shields have a magical, magnetic effect? As I find myself touching them every time I get in and out of the car :)

17. williamD

williamD Rookie

Mar 5, 2023
    Algarve, Portugal
    Full Name:
    William D
    Have you tried leaving it on a tender when not driven? Judging by comments on here that does seem to prevent/fix many of the sensor/electrical issues.

Prototype_ likes this.
  18. Ajax de 1e

Ajax de 1e Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2014
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Steef
    If you visit Maranello, you understand why quality is poor. It’s like visiting a warzone! :(
    Take your Landcruiser, because you certainly are gonna damage your Ferrari! Shame on Maranello, shame on Ferrari!

They better hire some Germans to manage things!

(or a clever creative Dutchman :D)