Why did the 911 outlive the 928, 924/944/968? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why did the 911 outlive the 928, 924/944/968?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bullfighter, May 23, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Why the 911 keeps surviving . for one it defines Porsche . They are rock solid reliable and fun to drive . They are still available with a manual and are an iconic shape.

tomc likes this.
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This is an interesting story about the ad campaign I showed above... Chiat/Day did some of the best advertising work ever, and they created that campaign for Porsche.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/advertising-how-turn-phrase-almost-cost-chiatday-porsche-goldman/

Texas Forever and Bullfighter like this.
  3. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    In 1988 or so, not long after I discovered cars, I had a doctor uncle who had a 911 cabriolet. He gave me a ride one time and remarked after, wait til next year I'm going to get a 928 S4! I remember wondering why he didn't want to keep the 911? The 928 was a Porsche so it was great (if a little strange looking) and the S4 was the new flagship model, but even as a kid I lusted after 911s. I drew them, built models of them, etc., was obsessed with getting one someday.

donv and Pawilly like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I remember how weird it seemed when the 924 and 928 came out. Like the universe was out of balance.

audi_328 and Bullfighter like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This ad sums up the 911 experience for me.

T

Bullfighter, audi_328 and Pawilly like this.
  6. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "This effort was a culmination of multiple work-sessions and meetings at Porsche in Weisssach and Zuffenhausen. Including interviews with Helmuth Bott - head of R&D, Tony Lapine - head designer, and Professor Ferry Porsche."

So much more exciting than to write about the hours/days/weeks spent in my office in Reno Nevada (!) working out those concepts and details....../:(

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. I had mine out yesterday after several weeks of not driving. No battery tender. Turn key, starts right up, idles rock steady, engine running cool in traffic at 90 degrees ambient temp. A/c blew cold. Not bad for a 30 year-old sports car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MacNugget, Boomhauer, rob and 3 others like this.
  9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What were your jobs at Porsche?

10. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    My wife and my 95 968 Cabriolet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Porsche had actually planned to end the 911 model after that 928 came out, but the customers wouldn't have it (https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a37778048/the-death-and-rebirth-of-the-porsche-911/)

To me, it's been enduring because nothing drives like a 911 -- the rear-engine and all the other characteristics are just unique and you aren't going to get that feel in any other car. The purest version of that for me was the late 60's/early 70's 911e model, but all of the 911's before and after have a bit of that feel.

I think it has also helped a bit that, despite being an uncompromising sports car, it's a very practical design where the rear seats can be used in a pinch (humans, guitars, golf bags). The fact that it has rear seats has made owning a 911 practical at times when I couldn't have owned if it didn't have those frosted mini-seats in the back. I think it's driving feel that's kept the 911 alive, but I also think those tiny rear seats are responsible for more sales than most people realize.

Bullfighter and Pawilly like this.
  12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I may be in the minority but I prefer the cabriolet for looks and sense of occasion. I drove a white one - darker colors are better.

jjmalez likes this.
  13. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good article. I had always thought of the cabriolet as a desperate attempt to stimulate sales and go up market.

And I was right, apparently….

peterp likes this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I just bought a 944 turbo. I've never driven one! I don't think I'll get it for about 10 days. Kinda excited.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Pawilly likes this.
  16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And there is a special pleasure that comes with driving a 911 quickly. I suppose it is similar to any learned and slightly awkward skill. It feels amazing when you get it right.

Bullfighter likes this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The first time you think you're going too fast into a curve and then you use the pendulum effect of that rear engine to not bin it...magic!

T

18. MacNugget

MacNugget Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2007
    Texas
    Floor it and steer like hell!

tomc likes this.
  19. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Me in 1989 or 90 cleaning my dads 1988 928S4............... The BMW in the picture is a rarer car. It is the all wheel drive 325ix.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Porsche made a sports car that was never duplicated with an air-cooled rear engine lay out that gave a unique driving experience.
    Front engine water cooled layout can be experienced by a lo0t of other car companies.
    After 1989 the '911' was a marketing gimmick and they were in house known by, 964 , 993 , etc.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    All true. Although I think applying the Carrera name to all 911s was the marketing move… the 964 and 993 were significant advances but kept the same recipe and essential design. They’re all 911s.