1986 radiator leak from hose | FerrariChat

1986 radiator leak from hose

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by nathanmack28, May 25, 2023.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathanmack28

nathanmack28 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2022
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    nathan mackenzie
    Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone had the same issue with having a small leak coming from the sleeve that connects to the radiator.

I recently had an engine out service including recore of the both radiators.

There are only small drops of coolant that are noticeable after every drive, but also I gave the clamps a tighten and it didn't seem to fix the issue.

I brought the car back to the shop who performed the engine out and they installed bigger clamp but this did not fix the issue?

My coolant take reservoir seems to be a tad over half full and wondering if this should be topped up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also
    Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
    Never had that problem myself, but could be related to something like the fitting on the radiator isn't very round or has a "nick" in the sealing bulge. Also, could be related to the Shop using a slightly large hose than stock -- IIRC (and I probably don't ;)), the stock size is 38mm (1.5") ID and is a ***** to get on, while 41mm (1.625") ID sort of works, but doesn't make as good a seal as the 38mm ID (i.e., with the 41 mm hose, you are more relying on the clamp to "crush" the hose onto the fitting to make a seal; whereas, with the 38mm hose, the sealing bulge expanding the ID of the hose does the main sealing. (And the argument would be the same if I've got the stock size wrong and it's actually 35mm ID and 38mm was used.) The sealing bulges on the pipe and fitting in your photo don't seem to be distorting the hose OD much -- just a thought...

nathanmack28 likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also never had such problem after servicing
    as I see the hose is not a new one. so may be it is too hard or a little broken?
    so the water comes out between the hose and the adapter at the radiator? have a look at the connector soldered to the cover of the radiator. may be the soldering was not really good and during installing it got broken/loose a little?

nathanmack28 likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If I had done the service I'd be embarrassed and certainly feel obligated to fixing it.

Go tell them to finish the job.

nathanmack28 and lagunacc like this.
  5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    I was hoping you would chime in! Nathan is a friend of mine and this shop is a damn joke! I wont divulge how much of his money they have “stolen”. They sent out his valve covers to get wrinkled and snuck in 1 hour per side to remove them! They were doing a “major” LOL

nathanmack28 likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not unusual I am afraid. Most businesses strive for mediocrity. These guys didn't reach that lofty goal. .

nathanmack28 likes this.
  7. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Probably cut off the old hose with a razor. Nicked the neck. That’s enough to cause a leak.

nathanmack28 likes this.
  8. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Concise and to the point.

I wouldn't take it back there though. There's more where that came from.

nathanmack28 likes this.
  9. nathanmack28

nathanmack28 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2022
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    nathan mackenzie

Thanks so much for the feedback!

They think it's the radiator. Guess it's back in the shop. Hopefully not to long !

10. nathanmack28

nathanmack28 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2022
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    nathan mackenzie
    That's a good point. They had to take off the hose so maybe it's simple as changing to a new hose again.

11. nathanmack28

nathanmack28 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2022
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    nathan mackenzie
    Haha. It was quite the scenario for sure

12. nathanmack28

nathanmack28 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2022
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    nathan mackenzie
    I did just that!

Sounds like back to the shop it goes.
    Hopefully I get a solid summer of driving with not to many issues.

13. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    He meant nick the metal.

The radiator ... sounds like they'll want more money.

You know these guys better, and I know you gotta give them a chance to make it right, but since your friend mentioned they're a joke, if you got other options, might want to go that route.

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that is why I only use silicone hoses. they are also after long time very flexible and I never had any problems with those