Denver area Emissions | FerrariChat

Denver area Emissions

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by bradley ritner, May 16, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bradley ritner

Aug 18, 2020
    I might be moving to Denver area from Chicago and would bring along an 86 Countach and 95 Diablo. Neither have cats installed and the Diablo has perma-dashlights on as a result. Both cars function perfectly.

Am I reading regs correctly that anything post 1975 needs to pass emissions? Yikes, seems a bit unreasonable.

I’m looking at Jefferson County if it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yep, you've got it right. The Diablo will need to be tested every two years, but you can get collector plates for the Countach which will require testing every 5 years. However, both cars will have to be tested immediately before either can be registered. Colorado's emissions testing area is one of about 17 states that have adopted the same standards as California. I've attached the 2023 testing standards document.

Attached Files:

3. bradley ritner

Aug 18, 2020
    Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I may have to get realistic about one of the surrounding counties that don’t require testing.

4. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I live in Jefferson county. Many of the counties along the front range around the Denver Metro require the testing. You should be able to get the list online. Testing also includes visual inspection of engine including looking for original smog equipment. I had a 1983 308 GTS QV (bought in 2001) that ran wonderfully and was never failed for no smog equipment until a couple of years ago. Myself and local independent Ferrari Tech spent months scouring the planet to get all the pieces for the 1983 smog system (a 1-year only active pump design) so that my car could pass the visual inspection. The last emission test that was performed the guy doing the test spent at least 15 minutes inspecting the engine and consulting emission diagrams. The car made it through the test, but just barely. Part of the reason I sold that car.

bradley ritner likes this.
  5. bradley ritner

Aug 18, 2020
    Thank you for sharing, certainly not what I wanted to read but very helpful. My company has asked me to move which I would love to do but I’m really concerned about inability to bring my Italian toys.

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Is it not possible to simply install cats on the Diablo?

7. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I thought El Paso county (Colorado Springs) did NOT require emissions testing? Can anyone confirm?

If so, do you have a friend or acquaintance that lives there that might allow you to "keep" the car(s) there? Strictly speaking, I'm not sure that's legal but I've heard of people doing it before.

Also, there for a while, some people were creating LLCs in Montana and registering their cars there. I think they were cracking down on that, but if you have the resources, that might be an option.

I use Maranello Motorworks (owner is Bill) for my repairs, and I pay him to get my 88 Mondial 3.2 emission checked. He can mess with the ignition, timing and mixture to get it to pass. He works on "all things Italian" but of course, he specializes in FCars. FoD used to do that service as well, but they stopped during Covid and then I started using MM.

James in Denver

JSinNOLA likes this.
  8. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    JSinNOLA likes this.
  9. bradley ritner

Aug 18, 2020
    Thanks so much for everyone’s input. FerrariChat is always such a great community and a helpful resource.

FYI, these are the 2 Italians I’ll be bringing to CO. Image Unavailable, Please Login

chas-3, corey1 and Dave Bertrand like this.
  10. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I live in Elbert....we don't test for emissions.

corey1 likes this.
  11. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Bradley, if your job is remote then just rent/buy outside of the emission testing area. If you have to go into an office in the Denver Metro then picking a place to live and having the cars available is a bit more of a challenge. The commute around Denver is atrocious. Know where you will be working and see what is available living space wise and how far out you would have to live to be out of the emission area. All I can say for someone coming out to this area is do some research and planning. Best of luck.

12. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I live on Colorado Springs (moved here just for that reason) and you DO NOT have to test a car here. I also have a garage in Crowley County which also does not have testing. to the OP, if you want, you are welcome to "rent" some garage space and register them there ... Denver is ridiculous,..

JSinNOLA likes this.