2002 360 Challenge Restoration Project | Page 4 | FerrariChat

2002 360 Challenge Restoration Project

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Prototype_, Apr 19, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Those look amazing. So it is all aluminum now? Body part and the mesh?

2. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Hey Peter, no - the body is the original composite material with an aluminum mesh.
    This really has me stumped - regarding how these were manufactured - they look like injection mold parts, but they're actually composites ...
    I have no idea how these were made - it almost looks like a composite fiber layup that's then put into a die press ...
    If someone knows how these are made please share ... maybe Im missing something?

With regards to reproducing these parts other than going the glass fiber route (which are messier, thicker and heavier I would imagine?) ... I have scanned them, with the idea that they can be carbon fiber 3d printed in the future ... Having looked for replacement parts online and not finding the Challenge rear wheel gravel guards for the 360, I think there may be a need for lightweight, more authentic reproductions ? I dont know 360 road cars, so maybe the road versions are the same, and Im missing the plot? :)

3. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dale
    I understand on the OEM parts, we too have repaired many but we just use fiberglass and replace the mesh. Just did this to my 430C as the mesh was gone, again, from rubber pounding it. Not really pretty if you look close but they are for the track and as William says, hard to keep pretty! I was talking about the ones pictured post 75.

Prototype_ likes this.
  4. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Yeah, these seem to really take a pounding, especially the rears obviously. Post 75 is a repaired composite body.

EXPERIMENT

First attempt: fail.
    But I've got a few ideas on how to correct the print fail.

After some thought, I landed on going the FDM PETG route - as this I think is the best route, because its a robust material, a bit flexible, and fairly cheap.
    The idea is to be able to print these on demand as they're needed.

Reasons this first print failed:
    1. I modelled the guard to a thickness of 1.25mm - Im now going to push this to 2mm
    2. Having the large area open where the aluminum mesh goes, creates a tricky scenario for the printing process, whereby it has to build up supports, so changing the design to have large slats instead of a large square hole will eliminate the need for supports.
    3. The slats can then either be kept, or cut off after the print has finished.
    Stay tuned for Attempt 2! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I brought the scan into Blender, and created a clean poly model which was then mirrored to create a left and a right side part.

5. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
  6. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    looking great!

7. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale

Attached Files:

NürScud and halr75 like this.
  8. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Awesome project. Love these types of threads. Totally agree on the concept of half the fun being the restoration process. And sure it'll get banged up - but those marks will be your doing, not someone else's!

I'm all for the Tricolore / Gold wheel combo - however I'm not a fan of the stripe extending down on the bumper.

Prototype_ and JAM1 like this.
  9. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Yup, exactly that. Get real enjoyment out of the process.
    Also, an added benefit is that you get to know the car inside out, and that helps when troubleshooting things at a later stage.

WRT to the wheels, we did a test a couple of weeks ago, tried to match the gold that you can spec on Pista rims.
    No paint code - so just tried to match as best we could ...

Im on the fence with the gold. It looked great against the Rosso Scuderia I have on another car, and it felt the part. I stood it next to the car. I did notice an involuntary smile on my face :-D

I think it looks particularly good on a white or black car, but I'm currently leaning toward the silver on set 1 (safe choice: -/ ) and graphite on set 2 (more hardcore look) ... I guess I'll just pull the trigger on how I feel on the day ... basically, any of these colors will work ... so we'll see. :) gold is cool. You don't see it every day. Silver you do.

Heres the test we did on the right ^

NürScud likes this.
  10. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Color match looks great so far. I have factory gold wheels on my White Speciale, and my Rossa Corsa 16M. Had a set of Pista coupe wheels on my Rossa Corsa Pista Spider as well, which I'm selling (search my name). Honestly, I think gold looks best against either Corsa or Scuderia. I do like the graphite - Grigio Corsa I believe is the Ferrari color name - black is starting to a look a little tired to me. Best thing about the color of the wheels is they are relatively simple to change if you don't like them or get bored.

Prototype_ likes this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    FWIW, I have silver, gold and black rims for the white 458 Challenge. I like them all, a slight preference for the gold with black a close second.

Your project is inspiring, though I could never see myself with such an undertaking. And if I did, I'd never track it, lol.

Keep the pics coming......

Prototype_ likes this.
  12. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    The trick with gold I think is to shoot a Matt clear over them to give them a fresh contemporary look, especially on the very curved wheel design of the 360 challenge wheels … the example a few posts above, we only shot the color, but if you look at the very left image, the Matt coat I think is what is making it look good.

@njcycleguy : Thanks for the name on the graphite ! ;) Grigio corsa - if anyone knows the Ferrari paint name or code of the gold pls lmk ! Can’t seem to find it.

@wthensler : Thanks for the kind words ! But be sure this thing is going to be driven as it was intended ! :p

I had a great meeting with Jaki Scheckter - nephew of Jodi Scheckter this week.
    He’s going to give me some coaching in the car when it’s done.
    He’s been driving these 360 challenge cars for over 12 years now and he had great things to say about how much fun they are.
    Not crazy powerful, and a little bit of understeer, but once you get to understand the car and how to corner it properly it’s a very rewarding experience, according to him. So I’m really excited and can’t wait to get this on track.
    I feel very fortunate and grateful to have this project.
    He’s also going to help out, along with the Pablo Clark guys to get the car baseline set up properly.
    This, I think is going to make all the difference!

Mel Spillman likes this.
  13. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Bas and NürScud like this.
  14. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Bas likes this.
  15. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Rear Brake Inlet Duct

A little side line task I've been busy on.
    Left Rear Brake inlet duct was held together with packaging tape.
    I figured I'd take a shot at trying to fix it.
    Its a $1K+ part, so worth the effort imo.
    Not really a visible part, so didn't need to be perfect, but really happy with how it came out. Now I've got to get the carbon fiber splinters out of fingers ! :-D

Cleaning and wet sanding ^

It had a bunch of other seam cracks and holes etc.

16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    What did you do to make the duct look like that? How did you deal with the crack?

17. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale

This part is not visible at all really, if it was visible, this method would not be viable.
    It does not produce a 100% visually pleasing results, but it’s 100% functional.
    1. Wash and degrease the part. Dry properly. You cant have any moisture in the exposed fibres along the crack.
    2. Clamp and secure the part to hold the crack closed. This you can see in post #91.
    3. Tape masking tape on the outer section of the crack to stop resin coming through from the inside. #91
    4. Use fibreglass drywall tape along the crack on the inside of the part. Post #73.
    5. Apply epoxy resin over the tape.
    6. Wait 5 minutes or until the resin is dry to the touch.
    7. Apply another layer of fibreglass drywall tape over the resin, this time perpendicular to the first ‘layer’.
    8. Apply second resin coat. Depending on the intensity of the crack you can do another layer if it needs it.
    9. Wait approx 5 hours and then remove the clamps etc.
    10. Apply resin into the outside cracked area as neatly as you can using as little resin as possible. Wipe excess resin off.
    11. Wait a couple of hours and then wet sand the resin crack until it’s smooth.
      ———
    12. At this point the part is functionally fixed. To get it looking good, paint any resin areas with black using a small paint brush to blend it in with the carbon fibre color.
    13. Wet sand the entire part and then clean with alcohol using a lint free cloth.
    14. Shoot a very light layer of clear. A high quality rattle can also be used if you don’t have a spray gun etc.
    15. Build up a couple of light layers. Don’t be tempted to go too thick - runs are a pita and slow you down.
    16. Once dry, use an abrasive polish on the clear to shine it up.

wthensler likes this.
  18. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dale,
    After doing a frame off restoration on a 78 308 GTS with 50,000 miles back to factory original I know you have hundreds of hours into this so far! And 100's to go! Only a labor of love can drive you at this point. And having access to a great shop as seen in the pics. Keep going my friend!
    Peter
    FYI that car, after much ridicule by some self appointed opinion judges on this forum, sold for more than any steel body 308 on record! I had sold the car already for capital for the business but the owner did great!

Prototype_ likes this.
  19. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Thanks for encouragement Peter!
    Yup it’s been plenty hours :) got to keep momentum or else it becomes another half finished / drawn out endeavour.
    Shop belongs to a friend of mine.

I’m pulling a ‘ratarossa’ currently :p … car on the drive while I detail each corner and engine bay.

Then it’s off to Pablo Clark for a mechanical check and once over and then back to shop for final assembly and paint.

Bas and NürScud like this.
  20. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dang, this that your house? I love the architecture and the look!

Prototype_ likes this.
  21. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    NürScud, cobmw, Mel Spillman and 4 others like this.
  22. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    G. Pepper and NürScud like this.
  23. Prototype_

Prototype_ Karting

Mar 31, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dale
    NürScud likes this.