car design thread | Page 645 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Anti design, not unlike the Cybertruck. Why not?:rolleyes:

330 4HL likes this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki and 330 4HL like this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mr. Sketchmonkey
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    "No comment on them bumper jowls!"

tritone and jm2 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Today's design rant has to do with wheel color/design, etc. Those that know me and my design sense already know how I feel about the 'black wheel thing'
    Last night while out having dinner, looked like the circus rolled into town. First off let me reiterate that I am in no position to tell anyone what to do with their car regarding choice of wheel size & color. But because I have the dreaded 'designer curse' I just can't help but comment when I see what I believe is an egregious design execution. Whatever makes you happy, have at it.........,.but.....

So the black Rolls had orange wheels. Seriously? And yet, every passerby either stopped in their tracks and took a photo, or at least noticed the brazen use of color. The lime green Lambo sporting the black wheels. Whatever. The black C8 Vette was, in the current vernacular, 'murdered out'. Murdered out indeed.

Wheels for me are such an important element of a vehicle's design, why hide them? So I just couldn't let the experience go unnoticed.

Rant over. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

330 4HL, anunakki and energy88 like this.
  5. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    How appropriate to park in front of "Visual Comfort".......have they a (warped) sense of humor?

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Yo Bro, i agree with you re black wheels. thats why i went with these. not black.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    and what about bright seat belts? ie tan interior, red seat belts

jm2 likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    To each, their own.
    Crimes against the automobile do not go unnoticed.:rolleyes:

330 4HL, tritone and stever like this.
  10. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest

I dig the overall theme of this EV, especially the interior with those dark colors and unique center dash+ console

jm2 and 330 4HL like this.
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Have not seen this take on the Pontiac Firebird before...... shown at Como at the ConcorsoFuori recently... "vision of Harry Bradley..."

Schultz, energy88, VigorousZX and 4 others like this.
  12. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Dare we hope?

BMW Preparing Cleaner Designs For Future Models

The German brand's design boss says they don't ignore the chatter.

May 28, 2023 at 9:18am ET
    By: Iulian Dnistran

BMW’s design decisions have been controversial in the last few years, with the German carmaker’s models sometimes wearing huge (illuminated) front grilles and flaunting design elements that aren't to everyone's taste.

However, this might change soon, as the brand's chief designer, Adrian van Hooydonk, says future BMW vehicles will have a cleaner look and possibly radiator grilles that aren't such an eyesore.

Speaking with TopGear, the automaker's chief designer, who used to work under the guidance of Chris Bangle – another controversial figure in BMW's history – says that they “don't ignore the chatter.”

However, with solid sales figures – 2.1 million worldwide for the brand as a whole and 177,000 for BMW M alone in 2022 – it looks like controversy sits pretty well with the company's customers.

“We feel that in our job, we need to keep adding new elements to the design, we cannot keep repeating what we have. Sometimes we have to depart and do new things. The reason for that is we also want to have success in 10 years,” said van Hooydonk.

He adds that the design team has a pretty clear idea of what it's doing and that it's not like they're experimenting or throwing things out there to see what sticks. “It's a very deliberate process,” he said.

When it comes to the grille, the design boss thinks that the brand has done everything from vertical, very slim, to wide and very low, so it can basically do what it wants from here forward, as it has plenty of heritage to back it up. However, a cleaner design is to be expected, as he says:

“I think in the future what is going to be important is our design will be cleaner. We will design the grille according to the proportion of the overall vehicle, or according to the expression that we want to give it."

energy88 and jm2 like this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And non too soon!

tritone likes this.
  14. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    330 4HL, tritone and jm2 like this.
  15. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    My wife had a 2018 Mini Cooper S Countryman that she loved that got totaled in 2019. At the time she did not want another one but now she is thinking about getting a new one. Thinking about what other cars she might look at before getting one, the Ford Bronco came up (before kids she had a Isuzu Trooper so it made some sense). As my family is all on the tall side, new cars are always tried on, to see if someone can sit behind me in the back seat. The Countryman fulfills this requirement. So we went to look at a Bronco, a vehicle approx. 10 times as big as a Countryman, and not only could no one sit in the seat behind me, my daughter could not sit behind my wife! It was unbelievable.

330 4HL likes this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    hyundai tucson. plenty of room. good safety features and warranty. awd
    we bought two in the last 6 months(one was totalled). approx $30k

anunakki likes this.
  17. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
    Look what someone created in the UK! Based on a 2nd generation lotus Exige. Pistonheads article here, the comments are quite funny

The man behind the Invictus GT has been working on it for 10 years. Using a Series 2 Exige as the base, the goal was ‘to design the perfect car, not just in terms of aesthetics, but also drivability’. That latter point was already covered off emphatically by using the Lotus as the foundation, with aesthetics taken care of by his friend (and car designer) Iker Lopez Totorika. Clearly, the inspiration was from days gone by, the Invictus aiming to evoke some of the very best designs of the 60s and 70s while retaining its own identity. The compact dimensions of the Exige helped in that endeavour

A 1:1 foam model was created with FBFX, which was then given to Windsor Coachworks to make a fibreglass reality. This involved 12,500 hours ‘intricate and painstaking work’ to ensure the best fit and finish. From here it looks a resounding success, with clean and consistent panel gaps, smart details, beautiful paint, and a pitch-perfect stance. The inspiration from those classic sports cars is clear to see, from the Stratos-esque rear end to the Alfa teledial-wheels and the Lola look of the front, but the GT doesn’t come across as a pastiche. It’s just a great-looking, petite and perfectly proportioned sports car. Job done.

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Front end needs work, but the wheels are just right!

330 4HL and Schultz like this.
  19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    What Car’s Design Unexpectedly Held Up The Longest?
    Not even GM ownership could make the Saab 9-5 look dated at the time of its release, but other cars from VW, Audi and Honda were also blessed with timelessness.
    By
    José Rodríguez Jr.
    PublishedYesterday

Photo: Saab
    If the second-generation Saab 9-5 were to come out tomorrow, it would hardly look out of place among modern cars. The Saab would even put some new cars to shame with its sleek looks and uncluttered design. Without the context of Saab’s untimely death, it’s hard to believe the last of the 9-5s came out more than a decade ago. It’s also hard to believe a GM design from that time period has aged so gracefully. What other cars have held up the same way, with designthat’s just as refreshing now as when the models were first released?

Despite the 2012 Saab 9-5 being a pretty tame GM model under its skin, the Swedish sedan looked way ahead of its time. In fact, if it weren’t for the crappy GM interior that undid the idiosyncrasies of the Saab cabin, the latter 9-5 would have had flawless, timeless looks all around.

Related Content

The 2023 Honda Pilot Has a Tough New Look

0:35 / 1:38

The 2023 Honda Pilot Has a Tough New Look
    Spyker Is Returning Yet Again To Build Sports Cars
    Saab 900 SPG, GMC Hummer EV, Ferrari SF90: The Biggest Suckers On Bring A Trailer This Week
    I can think of a few other cars like this off the top of my head, which a lot of car lovers could agree on — like the best versions of the Corvette, or the simple design of models such as the first Audi TT or Volkswagen Jetta Mk.IV. But there are also some models that not a lot of people would agree have held up, when they have, in fact, held up. That’s more or less what what I mean by unexpected.

I’m thinking of the first Honda Insight, which went from being a basic but innovative rendering of what compact cars might look like in the future, to a toythat came with a Happy Meal from a Michael Bay movie. For shame, Honda.

The models that I’ve described here are more or less from the same time period, but your answers don’t have to fit into any given time frame — as long as the car models you pick are old enough that they can look to their successors and shake their heads wondering where it all went wrong.

People change. Cars should be given the freedom to change, too, but some changes threaten to undo the magic of an iconic design. Well, unless you’re a BMW designer, because the brand is apparently playing the long con. BMW seems to think a car’s “good” looks achieve longevity by...alienating people? No, that can’t be right. Can it? I suppose we can always ask the BMW Isetta

https://jalopnik.com/what-car-s-design-unexpectedly-held-up-the-longest-1850488212

anunakki likes this.
  21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Schultz, tritone and jm2 like this.
  22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    You're too kind........:D

energy88 and jm2 like this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    energy88 likes this.
  24. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    So many cool design ideas in those photos! But after 60+ years, all the good ones seem to been exploited into production. Maybe there is a law of diminishing returns for original design themes?

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I believe Lincoln has become the proverbial 'dead man walking'
    Such a shame and very sad

tritone and 330 4HL like this.