Rear shelf cosmetics | FerrariChat

Rear shelf cosmetics

Discussion in '308/328' started by 1bigfish, May 26, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Dane and Kent Dellenbusch like this.
  2. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well you can use steam to maybe pull out the stains along with some type of stain remover, however if that doesn't work, replacement is your only option...

Rosey, Dane and Kent Dellenbusch like this.
  3. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Thanks, I had the carpet and this area steam cleaned before I dyed the carpet. The car is going to the shop to have some touch up paint performed and to be detailed. I will see if they can make it look better.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    If that is the result after steam cleaning then buying replacement Zegna fabric is your best bet.

5. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Thank you. I am taking the car to a high line paint, body and detailing shop on the first of June in preparation for the Highlands Motoring Festival starting on June 8.
    I am looking for recommendations to share with the shop as well as their opinion.

6. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I just went through this doing a full interior restoration. No amount of cleaning would get my original fabric looking good. I'm a traditionalist but, couldn't bring myself to put cloth back there and having it look bad again after a few months.

I decided to do vinyl and I'm so glad I did. It looks amazing and pics do little justice to how good it really looks. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, waymar, stoked_7 and 1 other person like this.
  7. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    No amount of cleaning will fix that. What you’re seeing is a result of the glue underneath staining from the under side. That’s a lot worse than most that I’ve seen, but almost all 308/328 cars with the fabric are affected by that at this point to some extent.

The only fix is to replace the fabric. Make sure to clean up the old glue underneath. Unfortunately, in order to do it right, those rear quarter windows need to come out. It’s a big job.

Rosey and waymar like this.
  8. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    Th
    Thanks

9. 1bigfish

1bigfish Karting

Feb 17, 2023
    Rainbow Springs NC
    Full Name:
    Fred Mix
    That does look really good but I live in an area with very little resources. Thanks

10. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I did it all myself (with exception to the third brake light and Targo top). It's not difficult, just time consuming.

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Do you think that's all as result of the glue?

I'm very fortunate as my car has only the tiniest amount of glue bleeding through (almost none) but many I have seen have a fair bit more but to be honest I've never seen one that bad before.

Wondering if it's just the glue bleeding through or something more.

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Maybe not, who knows. As I said, I haven't seen it quite that bad, but I've certainly seen the glue underneath make a mess bleeding through the fabric on these cars.

But he said that he's already tried to clean it with no results. Maybe it can be cleaned from the topside, maybe not.

Rosey likes this.
  13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'd try steam with a professional grade stain remover as mentioned when you go to the detailer on the 1st otherwise replacement cloth is your only other option.

14. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

Not for a GTB, I just do it for mine. But should be right for the GTS

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.