Daytona Oil Change | FerrariChat

Daytona Oil Change

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 28, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
    So..we have a local event coming up we have agreed to participate in and I thought I had better check when the oil was changed last. I was shocked the oil as it has not been changed since 2017 :eek: upon checking records with our shop. Truth is we do not drive the car much, a shame in itself.

In the event our professional shop does not have time, I do have the lift, tank, and tools. I think I can find the manual. Like most I can turn a wrench, but prefer not to do so, leave it to the pros.

I have searched the site and internet, hopping to find more detailed information, even a video of someone performing this task. Below is all I have found so far:

1-Fchat thread that says to use Baldwin Filters if you can find them (anyone have a source?)

2-Warm the oil

3-Use 20/50 Valvoline 20/50 VR1

4-Full is 16 to 17 quarts, but someone said to use 13 to 14, you don't need it full (something about oil temperature)

5-There are two plugs you need to use to drain the oil-one under the battery for the tank, and one for the pan.

6-Make sure to replace the crush washers

7-Be careful, do not strip the drain plug, especially the tank.

I know that oil will break down over time, and a main concern is moisture. That said, of course it is in a climate controlled setting.

When I did the search, it was bitter sweet to see that some of the last post Coachi made were on this very topic, he posted a question about checking oil levels on May 29th, and sadly passed expectantly July 12 2008. This was his, now my wife's Daytona. If you could see it, she has a smile on her face as she carries on the legacy. Luckily she loves the cars and the fond memories of a past life.

Constructive comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

View attachment 3531218

Attached Files:

Ryan S., Hawkeye and turbo-joe like this.
  2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    1. Baldwin B253, commonly available on Amazon and all over the internet. Drive a punch through the top of the filters (to break the syphon) so they drain for about 20 minutes before you remove them and you will have no oily mess.

2. 13 quarts of VR1 conventional motor oil is plenty. Daytona's have a hard enough time getting up to oil temps as is.

3. If you do not have new washers, sand the old ones flat on a sheet of glass and use a thin skim of Locktite 518 on both surfaces.

4. 15-18 lb/ft torque on both drain plugs.

5. Otherwise, it is pretty straightforward job.

readplays, christc and TTR like this.
  3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thank you will search for the Baldwin B253. I just got a chuckle while digging...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if using a drive on lift, you will need to use a piece of cardboard to guide the oil(from sump tank) into a catch can.

Hawkeye likes this.
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    First oil change I did in my 599 (drive on lift) I was pulling the plug in one hand and trying to hold cardboard in another, oil came out gushing, I had a bath in dinosaur juice. Patience required :)

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ^^ one of multiple examples/reasons I’ve never understood people buying/using a 4-post, i.e. "drive on" lift for mechanical maintenance/service purposes, as they provide very awkward/limited access to just about everything in undercarriage.
    Even brake/suspension inspections, let alone services or tire replacement usually require some, also often awkward, method of lifting the car off the lift. o_O

I can easily imagine countless DYI amateurs or "garagiste" having attempted/prepared to pull an engine using a “cherry picker” with the car on a 4-post lift, only to … :rolleyes:

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    four post lifts are primarily for extra
    storage however light duty work is possible. oil changes, exhaust work, detailing etc.
    even worst is suppossedly proffessional mechanics with no lifts of any kind.

Hawkeye and turbo-joe like this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so best would be to have 1 four post lift and 1 two post lift
    but what private person has so much space?
    lucky - I have ;)

readplays likes this.
  9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    somebody with an airplane hangar:)

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then I would have several 4 and 2 post lifts :)

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Why punch a hole? Baldwin B253 do not leak upon removal. At least, that has been my experience.

Regards, Alberto

PDB likes this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    correct. it has an internal pipe stand. never had a leaker either.

13. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I agree, the B253 has a "standpipe". I just do for "insurance". No reason to take a chance and I don't like to clean up an oily mess.

Ak Jim and readplays like this.
  14. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Don't you need 6" of concrete depth to use a two post lift safely. Most garage slabs are closer to 4" which is fine for a 4 post.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Don’t quote me on this, as it may differ by lift manufacturers design/specifications/recommendations, local safety codes/regulations and/or other variables, but I believe 4” reinforced(?) slab is adequate for 2-post lift in most cases/places.
    I’ve had both of mine on +/-4” concrete for over 20 years.
    Even when my first one was delivered & installed, the installation crew foreman told me that my chosen location wasn’t up to “recommended specifications” (due to a nearby crack on the floor), but I insisted and it has been fine for nearly 25 years.

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    No leaky. Period, and no one likes to clean up oil. My Lancia has a filter just like it, and no issues.

Regards, Alberto

17. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    You guys missed the whole point about punching a hole in the filters before removal. Go back and read the first post, the gentleman DOES NOT have Baldwin filters on his Daytona! He did not tell us what brand of filters were on his car, but he did indicate they were NOT Baldwin. I recommended punching the hole to break the syphon, in the case whatever brand filters were on the car did not have standpipes, so he would not make a large mess. Lots of various filters will fit a Daytona, with the majority NOT having standpipes.

readplays and Edward 96GTS like this.
  18. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    Do UFI oil filters have standpipes

19. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Laurence: Others can also address this question, but it depends on the part number of the filter. Some do, some don't.

Juan-Manuel Fantango likes this.
  20. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
  21. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    I’m planning on changing the oil/filter on my Daytona. What drain plug washers should I use

22. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Match the existing washers with new copper washers. If none available, sand the old copper washers flat with 320 grit paper on a piece of glass. I recommend a light smear of Loctite 518 on both sides of the washer for a leak free drain plug.

23. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
  24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Laurence, just curious, are you a mechanically inclined person? Do you possess a factory manual?
    Full, and I mean a bonafide full set of tools? Not Craftsman in a box.

I mention this, as in these cars, a small mistake can cost thousands after the fact.

Do you have a good mechanic? Also, if you do, you will have 'official records' of all the work
    performed, and add value to the car later in life.

Best of luck!

Regards, Alberto

turbo-joe likes this.
  25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Just preference, but why use UFI filters? Baldwin are the standard.