Help Needed...Car will not change gears. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help Needed...Car will not change gears.

Discussion in '612/599' started by LondonParis, Apr 28, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjmccoymd

mjmccoymd Rookie

Aug 29, 2005
    Lawrenceville, GA (USA) & Montegridolfo, Italy
    Full Name:
    Michael McCoy

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I'd like to think they've lent you an 812 for a few weeks as a gesture? Maybe some tickets to a GP?

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    SDX eating a TCU? Unbelievable. They must have used a program for the earlier 612's single plate clutch rather than the OTO's twin disc clutch.

of2worlds and flash32 like this.
  4. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    So sorry to hear what’s happening, it’s like a never-ending story. But…you will get all the right equipment soon and you’ll be able to drive your magnificent 612 all over France this summer.

5. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Well, here we are...I wonder if I should start numbering these instalments to make them easier to follow.

Week 10: Can RACE Change a Clutch?

The cables finally arrived from the dealership in Cannes (owned by the same company as the dealer in Mulhouse) but we have the same result - a dead gearbox ecu. I asked my service advisor if the factory would have tested the ecu before sending, to which he replied, "normally yes".

We have a plan b, the 599 gearbox ecu reloaded with OTO firmware. It was released by the factory on Monday and should arrive before the end of the week. I am getting mentally prepared for this not to work...which will open a whole new can of worms.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Plan C: send to my guy in the East. He’s very good!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    We all hope that week 11 will fix everything (599 gearbox ECU/OTO firmware)!

Pawilly likes this.
  8. mike051

mike051 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    @brogenville : not easy for an official dealer to accept fixing it outside the Ferrari network, even if it’s the right way.
    If it’s not a bug with SDx, it should be a human mistake, as said by Taz. Injecting the program for a single plate clutch could be a good assumption.

9. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    I really feel for you my friend and like a lot of people on this forum i hope the issue gets fixed soon. I cannot imagine the worry you are going through!

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This whole thread gives me an uneasy feeling, especially because the master tech who has worked on my 612 OTO since new just retired...

11. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    I think I have passed from worry to angry. They refuse to share the technical diagnosis of the ecu, cannot commit to any timeline for repair, don't show any sense of urgency and in the end they will deny that they damaged the gearbox ecu.

What is really annoying me, however, my two sons who live in the US are coming to France in a few days and we had a 3 week tour, including the Nurburgring, planned.

12. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Bill, why don’t you ask them to loan you something? It isn’t the same as going in your own 612 but they could lend you a GTC4 Lusso? The least they could do after all this nuisance!

brogenville likes this.
  13. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    It’s worth a shot. That’s the least they could do…

14. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Totally understandable. How can they act like that, how can they even refuse to share the diagnosis, why are they not caring about helping a customer solve the issue as soon as possible? Something fishy there… What’s the next course of action?

15. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Bill - i have just looked at Eurospares London and they are breaking a 2005 612 Scaglietti with F1 gearbox???
    The car has cabin fire damage BUT the boot looks undamaged and i presume this is where the gearbox ECU is found?
    Any help?

16. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    PS In fact they have 2 in stock currently breaking for spares Bill, one is also a European model also with F1 transmission, this one has had flood damage though!

17. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Unfortunately the OTO has a different gearbox and ecu.

18. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Week 11: Can RACE Change a Clutch?

The "new" gearbox ecu has still not arrived at the dealer although it was released by the factory last week Monday. An email was received by my service advisor today (from the logistics provider) saying there were some delays in last weeks orders but offering no further details.

I sent a rather direct letter to the service manager of the dealership with one key point, they had damaged my gearbox ecu while providing the clutch change and that everything from that moment forward was their responsibility. Oddly enough, without explicitly saying that they did it, they did agree in writing to cover all the costs of parts and labor related to the ecu and to either ship the car to Paris for free (a 1200 euro offer) or give an equivalent discount if I choose to pick it up myself and drive it back to Paris.

We are, then, still waiting...

Sunshine1, 599_GTO and Skidkid like this.
  19. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Very interesting that they agreed to cover all the parts and labor, they know they screwed up. At least they are trying to make amends and it’s nice that they are ready to pay for the car to be shipped back to Paris or give you a discount. They are stepping up to the plate…

20. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Week 11.5: Can RACE Change a Clutch

New ECU arrived on Thursday. Friday, late-morning I got the call - come get your car.

Jump on the train at 2pm ready for a 3 hr ride to Mulhouse and then a return 5 hr drive to Paris. One hour from arrival I get a message, “your AC is not working, we have refilled the compressor, and the compressor is working, but the AC is blowing only hot air. We don’t have any more time today to troubleshoot.”

There was no way I was turning around without the car, so on to the dealership.

So the bill was as expected which was nice, but they decided to cover all the gearbox ecu work under warranty so they could retain possession of the old ecu…and they were really insistent that i could not keep it.

There was also some rather low quality finish work that my son pointed out while we were stopped for a few minutes…he said simply “is that wood glue?”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

On the positive side she is running and shifting better than ever and had her 70,000 km service as well.

As we do, we have already put 1000km of steamy driving on her in 24 hr. Today we had the better half and two of the boys for a trip from Paris to the renovation project and tmrw night it will be back to Paris and probably Tuesday I will take it to the dealer in Paris to see if he can reset the AC as it was working perfectly before sitting for nearly 3 months.

Not sure what to do yet about the bad glue job.

21. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    George Vosburgh, 599_GTO and donv like this.
  22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    3 pages, geesh!

Glad to read it's running better than ever.

My 612 OTO seems to lose it's refrigerant every 2 years. There must be a slow leak somewhere, but it's cheaper to have have it recharged than replace the system. I don't know what could be wrong with yours, but I know a couple other Ferrari owners with persistent AC problems.

23. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    So glad to hear that you are back up and running!

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I had a similar experience with the AC. The system is pretty easy to confuse, particularly if the power dips. Try a power cycle (not usually a suggestion I make). I had correct pressures, leak check, empty and refill, nothing worked. Power cycle when replacing the battery and magically AC is working like new and has been fine since.

25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know, with any other car I would say you're nuts, but with a Ferrari, you may just be right! :)

I'd definitely try that.