Michelin XWX | FerrariChat

Michelin XWX

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bowzer, May 16, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Michelin XWX , what is the lifespan of this tire ?
    Thank you

2. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Some information from Michelin about their classic tires. Xwx tires might last up to ten years.

6) - Storage
    • In order to maintain the tyres characteristics and properties, compliance must be made with certain major points during storage. You should avoid:
    • Direct and prolonged exposure to sunlight, sources of high heat and damp, long-term storage in stacks, the presence of solvents, lubricants, fuels and other chemicals.
    • Equipment causing a release of ozone (transformers, welding machines, electric motors, etc.). • The storage location must be dry, ventilated, out of direct light and kept solely for tyres. Racks allowing tyres to be stored vertically are to be used in order to avoid tension on the casings.
    7) - Tyre aging
    • Tyres age, even if they are not used, or if they are only used occasionally; excessive tyre age can lead to a possible loss of grip.
    • Michelin’s recommendation is not to leave a classic tyre in service beyond 10 years following its production date.
    • Remove tyres from use when these show clear signs of aging or fatigue (cracks in the tread, shoulder or lower zone sidewall rubber, deformations, etc.). If in doubt, refer to a tyre professional.
    8) - Monitoring and maintenance
    • Tyre pressure verification prior to each outing and correction of this pressure if it no longer corresponds to the working pressure. Tyre pressures must be checked when cold (tyre that has not been run on, that has not been heated)
    • Inflation with nitrogen does not do away with the need for regular tyre pressure checks.
    • In the event of unusual pressure loss, check the internal and external condition of the tyre
    as well as the condition of the wheel and valve.
    • Any visible perforation, cut or deformity must form the subject of an in-depth inspection by
    a tyre professional. Without intervention by a professional, never use a damaged tyre or one that has been run flat.
    9) - Conditions of use
    • Never treat the tread rubber with a chemical.
    • Do not use tyres for which the background is unknown.
    • Ensure that the pressure, bodywork, speed and axle load values are those recommended by
    Michelin in accordance with the intended use

Bowzer and donv like this.
  3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My experience has been to change them, regardless of condition, every 8-10 years.
    Having said that, I have had them on a car for well over 10 years with no signs of deterioration. Climate controlled storage and infrequent use of course.
    There will be others that say 8 years is too long etc etc. I believe it depends on what you are doing with them, and where the car is stored when not in use. Occasional cruise around the island - I wouldn't be concerned. Blast down the autostrada in Italy - I would change them after 8-10 years assuming no exterior damage apparent.

Bowzer likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As far as I know, most or perhaps all tire manufacturers warranty their products up to 6 years from the date they were made, not when you purchased or mounted them.

Based on this ^^ and numerous problems I’ve seen and heard with over-aged tires in past 4 decades I’ve made it a habit or should I say a rule that with some minor exceptions, I generally don’t drive or ride in any vehicles with tires older than 6 years, regardless of make, type, how/where they were stored or even if they were just mounted first time today and never been driven on.

Tires are not only one of the most overlooked safety related components, especially in classic, collectible, exotic, vintage, etc vehicles, but also easiest and cheapest to maintain.

Just because they look new doesn’t mean they’re safe to use.

YMMV

Bowzer and Bullfighter like this.
  5. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany

I highly respect your view.

• Michelin’s recommendation is not to leave a classic tyre in service beyond 10 years following its production date.

There may be some difference in compund or design compared with modern tires - I would not use a modern Michelin Pilot Sport longer than 6 years.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if older than 10 years go with the car on a race track, there the tires get really warm and when they are down you had a great day

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #7 TTR, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
    Whenever I replace tires on my own vehicles, modern or vintage, I make a point to wear them out (by driving) before they turn 6 years old and always encourage my clients or friends to do same.
    With XWX it’s pretty easy as they seem to have about 5K-7K mile (safe) thread wear life and therefore a serious enthusiast can go through a set in couple of years.
    My vintage cars using bias-ply tires usually wear them out in +/-15K miles, so also easy to accomplish within 6 years.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Simply put, 6 years or 5000-7000 miles, whichever comes first.

Above mileage estimate assumes the suspension/steering geometry is correctly set (most vintage cars probably aren’t).

9. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I have come accross tyre manufacturers that refuse a warrenty on a tyre that had perished at 2 years old. (not the Michelin Classic Range though)

the difficulty is on a modern car then a tyre doesn't tend to last too long, because we drive them all the time however with a classic it is not necessarily the same, because it is generally a second car, and of course on top of that we often have several classics. We sell more tyres to people to replace old rubber than we do bald tread.

when a tyre is 10 years old it definately is not giving you the grip of a new tyre, and we start to get concerned about the deterioration of the unseen elements within the carcass. But the rate of deterioration varies dramatically.

a few tips:
    • obvs keep it out of sunlight. we all know that one.
    • don't use chemicals. just soap and water, strong detergents remove the oils that stop the tyre from perishing.
    • dont blast your tyres close up with a pressure washer. that also removes the oils.
    • if you have your car cleaned by a valeter, tell them about the detergent and pressure washer thing, because they dont care; they just want your car to look as good as possible as easily as possible.

However as an interesting point i think the XWX tread pattern was developed in 1966, and at that point it wasnt actually called the XWX i think it was first the X then i think it was called XVR untill 1972.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic/michelin-xvr.html

Also the XWX was not available in 70 profile untill 1968.

Ferrari fitted mostly crossply Stella Bianca or Stelvio untill 1960, though some cars fitted 400mm Pirelli radial Cinturato or 185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato which came out in 1952. then they changed to 185VR15 Cinturato CA67 in 1960.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-ca67.html

then in 1964 Pirelli developed the CN72 and the ability to make a 205 section tyre that could handle the power Ferrari (and most of the other top sports car manufacturers fitted 205VR15 CN72).

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-cn72.html

then in the very lates 1960s Ferrari were all over the Michelin XWX because it is an ace tyre, and you just had to have the new low profile tyres, so the cars were modified to take advantage of what this new tyre technology had to offer.

This is for the road cars.

Currently it is very difficult getting anything produced. we do have the 185VR16 and 185VR15 Cinturatos that deal with most vintage Ferrari up untill 1964 so the 250 road cars. However we are struggling to get the CN72 again for the 64-68 cars (though we do have XWX for the 14" wheels) the current plan is that we hope to have the 205VR15 CN72 later this year.

Anyone want to buy any XWX? I've got loads

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/xwx.html

it is generally free carriage.
    if you are in the EU we arrange all the taxes and pay them so there are no hidden costs or hold ups in customs. what you see on the web site is what you pay.
    If you are outside Europe you do not pay the VAT that is listed on the web. as you go through the buy on line process it will calculate shipping costs (if there are any. probably not). you can put your address in post code and drop out of the sale at any point we are not harvestiong your data. We are a small business the respects its customers.

donv and Edward 96GTS like this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’ll be needing another set soon and look forward to a great service again.

Longstone Tyres likes this.
  11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  13. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Sorry I’m away from the office currently however if you email the office the boys will give you the answer.

[email protected]

14. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    225s were definitely an issue when I had my Boxer. I think I bought some from you way back, not sure.

Edward, are you planning to use it on a Daytona?

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i am. on a daytona coupe. 9” cromodoras(on rear only)

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Yes those 9" rears are very Ferrari. We have occasionally have questions about this because a 225/70R15 tyre has recomended rim width of 6.0" - 8.0" by the ETRTO, then there are Ferrari fitting them on a 9" Borrani and Cromodora wheels at the factory gate. They get particularly funny about this in Germany who are very strict on tyres because of the AutoBahns so Michelin produced this letter.

[​IMG]

Münchner Oldtimer Reifen Gmbh

Gewerbering 14,

D-83607 Holzkirchen/Obb

Bruno COUE

Classic Car Tyres

Tel: +33 4 73 41 7503

Fax: +33 4 73 41 7505

46 rue du Ressort

63000 Clermont-Ferrand , den 18/05/200

Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung

Zur Vorlage beim TÜV

Hiermit bescheinigen wir als Reifenhersteller: Für die Fahrzeuge Ferrari 365 GTC 4 (Daytona)

N° chassis : 365 GTC4 * 14587

Höchstgeschwindigkeit : 245 km/h

es bestehen für vorstehend beschriebenes Fahrzeug keinerlei technische Bedenken, von Seiten des Reifenherstellers,

Fahrzeuge mit der

Erstausrüstungs Rad-/Reifenkobination 215/70 VR 15 90 W Michelin XWX auf Felge 7 ½ L x 15

durch folgende

Umrüstungs Rad- / Reifenkombination 225/70 VR 15 92 W Michelin XWX auf Felge 9 L x 15

an der Hinterachse zu ersetzen.

Die Freigängigkeit der neuen Rad-/Reifenkombination ist zu gewährleisten oder durch geeignete Maßnahmen herzstellen.

Die vorstehende Kombination wurde bereits zu Bauzeiten durch den Fahrzeughersteller, bzw. dessen Importeur freigegeben.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Manufacture Françaises des Pneumatiques Michelin

[​IMG]

Bruno COUE