Hood release handle | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hood release handle

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by hogbreth, Feb 27, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I took the handle piece out of the housing yesterday. It had a small crack along a reinforcing bar on the handle. I used 2 part epoxy, beefed up with some wire around the cracked part, to repair the handle. The cable needs to be pulled way out to pop the 2 latches, and I think that the flex in the handle created by the crack was preventing the cable from reaching it’s full travel.

I am in contact with GTCP for a new handle. I think that I need to adjust the travel of the cable next, as it is only the final inch of travel that pops the hood.

I understand that there is an adjustable grub screw near the radiator.

2. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Correct. Adjustment is at hood end. Check your cable too. Mine had some kinks I was able to straighten. I cleaned and lubed it with graphite as well. Motion Pro makes a cable lube tool that works well.

3. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    Got one of these several years ago for my 456M and it's been great. For as little as they charge, everyone who had a 456 or 550 should order one as a spare, who knows they may be NLA someday also.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That was my thought exactly

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The hood release assembly (can't just buy the handle) has been NLA for some time for the 575, unless Ferrari made another batch run in the last year or so.

6. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    The cable is not broken but it does need adjusting. Sadly the knurled thumb wheel is stuck and the space availability is too tight to get a decent set of pliers to hold the thumb wheel in order to turn it enough to free it up. The cable is connected at the handle end in the car. Is there a way to make enough space please?

7. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I believe I took mine off the car when I had the front bumper off.

8. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    That is what was worrying me! I am on a road trip with only the Ferrari tool kit for help.

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Coat hanger wire job…

10. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I am going to replace the cable as the current one is stiff and nearly 30 years old.
    I have search in here but cannot find a cable replacement DIY. Does anyone know of one please?

11. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    You can build your own. A lot of motorcycle cables come in kits and you can order end pieces for them. The hardest part is finding a kit with a cable long enough.

12. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thanks for the tip.
    However, the issue has now been fixed!
    I started to remove the cable and found that when I unscrewed the 3 plastic knobs that holds the curved plastic panel over the wheel the hood release cable sprang out. It must have been kinked at the bulkhead. If anyone's cable is getting hard to pull, it might be worth checking here first. The bonnet release now works perfectly and without any cost.

Auraraptor and Ferrari55whoa like this.