Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap) | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap)

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    PM sent

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Nice to see ‘the people’ have spoken. Instagram posting from Prancing classics asking about this thing has regular people excoriating this monstrosity for the most part.

3. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    @M.Burroughs I still miss your e28 on Hayashis back in the old tennspeed/tndubs days.

Good to see you're still doing your own thing.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I don't put a lot of stock in the comments (some only emojis) of a bunch of random strangers, most of which can't spell or compose a sentence on some random post on the internet. If I did that then I would be convinced that Elvis is still alive, the World is flat, and everything from the dimples on a waffle to the Corona virus is some planned conspiracy by god knows who.

Guys it is just a modified car. You may like it or you may not so long as the person actually putting the time and money in is happy then who are we to judge. If anything 308 owners should be happy as one less car makes theirs that much rarer and more valuable.

derekw, gdl203, JonWH and 2 others like this.
  5. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Indeed, using Instagram posts as an indicator of rational, sane thought processes, or indeed an accurate gauge of general opinions, is at best misguided.
    I really don't understand the hate for Mike's car, it's an inanimate object, if you don't like what he's done, make your feelings known on this thread once, but don't re-visit the thread again and again, as to keep coming back to repeat your dislike of something to a bunch of strangers on the interwebz, just makes you look incredibly small minded, petty and vindictive.

6. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Well, the car is more or less "done" in that we're headed to the track for the first time this week. Fingers crossed our initial shakedown will go well. It'll probably be a disaster, as these things tend to be, but I feel good about it. It's been a long road to get here.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Wish car would have been completed as it was originally before current transformation into time trial racer. But I guess that what's necessary to keep content going online.

Best of luck and I will be watching and rooting for you

8. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    For better or worse, I promised it was going to be a time attack car in episode one :). The only real change to the gameplan so far was the addition of a roll cage. No decisions made for content purposes - but the roll cage came as a requirement with the opportunity of racing the car in Australia. Didn't want to miss the chance, so I committed. I think it'll make for a better, safer car in the end.
    I appreciate it!

Hannibal308, sltillim, mk e and 2 others like this.
  9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You can't go wrong adding a cage to a race car.

10. doggydoggen

doggydoggen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2023
    Sweden Umea
    Full Name:
    Doger Karlstrom
    The car looks fantastic, I probably haven't had my Ferrari long enough to become a fanatic, it's clear that you can hack up a Ferrari just like any other car, maybe it's a bit sacrilegious, but it turned out to be a really cool car. :)

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    When?

12. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Sept 1/2 at SMP.

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'll have to come down

14. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Had the first shakedown session on track yesterday and it was fantastic. Car is a real ripper. Have a list of changes to make, as well as a few repairs, but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I'll share the video next week once I get it all put together.

I think there were a few folks around here said this would never happen :D

15. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Awesome! I’ve been following this build since the beginning - I can’t wait to see the driving video!

Congrats!

M.Burroughs likes this.
  16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #591 ginoBBi512, Jun 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    I have to say, I love the body work / kit . It looks as good or better than the 308 / 288 GTO conversion set up / kit. My only comment would be " to bad it was not powered by a Ferrari unit " " to each his own " Great on track photo !! There have been numerous non Ferrari F1 cars powered by Ferrari units, this you can say is a Ferrari powered by a Honda unit ... When you look at it that way, its not so bad !! Better that the car was saved rather than destroyed.

G

M.Burroughs likes this.
  17. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Thanks!

I appreciate that! I'm quite pleased with the way the body kit looks as well. I think the fenders suit the shape of the car nicely.

I know a lot of folks hear "Honda" and think "civic" but Honda engines win a lot of F1 races, and these little four-cylinder motors are some of the best-flowing 4-bangers on earth. I think it's a good match. :)

Il Tifoso and ginoBBi512 like this.
  18. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
  19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    great episode! was starting to think this build might have jumped the shark but seems headed on target. looking forward to next session on track. good luck

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Another winning episode. Livery looks great. Good luck in Australia.

Btw what are your goals there? What do you want to accomplish that couldn't also be done at local competitions? Thanks

21. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Thanks!

I would say my only goal is to go and have fun, and hope the car lasts for the weekend in some capacity.

I wouldn't say there's anything I aim to accomplish that I couldn't do here. It's certainly frivolous to send the car to the other side of the world for an event it isn't ready for nor is it really competitive in. But when my sponsors offered the opportunity to go at little to no cost to me, it wasn't something I was going to turn down. You don't get to race your car on the other side of the world very often, so I figured I should do everything possible to make it happen.

22. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    pedders, ants2au, JonWH and 3 others like this.
  23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  24. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I was there on the day and checked out the car close up.. in terms of engineering, the build is amazing, no matter what people would think it should have been done or not.
    yes there were some issues, but its to be expected on anything new. Car manufacturers put tens of thousands of miles in Prova :)

well done Mike.

Nuvolari likes this.
  25. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    It went well, all things considered! We broke the transmission on the first outlap of the competition, which was a heart-breaker, but the guys from Spoon / JDMYard were willing to give up their spare gearbox, which is an identical unit. We pulled the engine, swapped the gearbox, and reinstalled in the paddock overnight, and got out on track for competition on Saturday. The car ran wonderfully, and given I can measure the amount of time I've driven the car in minutes I am happy overall. More seat time on Friday would have had me feeling more comfortable and confident, but I will just have to go back next year to set faster times. But we did it! We were out there with the best of them, doing what we set out to do.

I really appreciate that! I'm glad you checked it out.