550 / 575M Owners... I smell a skunk - and I love it ! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

550 / 575M Owners... I smell a skunk - and I love it !

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ricambi America, Oct 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    “COP” ?

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Cop - coil on plug ignition.

not sure if you can zoom in, not the best photo but you can see #7 labeled on my car

I’m taking the kiddos on a road trip of the badlands area or I’d give a better photo

Attached Files:

Mirek likes this.
  3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

The COP setup is the latest development in the evolution of ignition systems. As Eric stated it's where the ignition coils are directly mounted & connected to the spark plugs, which eliminates the HT ignition wires.

The F355, 456's and 550's were the last generation of Ferrari's to use the old style of ignitions which utilized HT wiring. Japanese & German cars had been using COP's for nearly a decade prior to Ferrari adopting the technology.

MSW decided to make a PnP COP kit for the 550 and everyone who owns one really likes it. It gives the exhaust a more authoritative note, and some even believe it gives the engine more power but that's conjecture, unless the stock ignition was causing misfires....

We stopped offering the COP system when the harness fabricator became seriously ill and could no longer fabricate the harnesses, however I'm working with a new provider for the harnesses and we're just about there, so I hope we'll be able to offer the systems again soon.

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Read all about it. Count me in. Even my C5 has COP.

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m going to buy a spare from John when they are ready for my spares box.

6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I reviewed the original threads very informative. Very technical, I see a lot of technical knowledge went into developing this. How many hours is the install estimated at ?

The 456M has a unique firing order vs 456/550 but I imagine that is not an issue, did any 456 or 456M cars get on board for that original COP harness ?

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

If you decide to remove all the old components, including the Bosch 6 tower coils, it can be around 4-8 hours, and most of that time is spent gaining access to, and removing the coils. If you decide to leave the coils in place & just remove the old HT wires, it "can" be done in about 2 hours. Some of that time is spent gaining access to the spark plugs that are blocked by the throttle bodies, so those have to be removed.

Also, it's highly recommended to have one of Paul Hill's HT lead pullers, as the HT leads tend to become "bonded" to the spark plugs with time & heat, and you WILL damage the heads of the HT leads if you try to use pliers, etc. to pull them.

Re: the 456M ignition & odd firing order. This can be accommodated by swapping two of the pins in the 4 way connectors of the harnesses. If we know ahead of time that the system will be installed on a 456M, we can swap the pins for you.

Auraraptor and Mirek like this.
  8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes me too for my 456M

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Bas, ajyiii, Aerosurfer and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    PM sent !

11. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    COUNT ME IN PLEASE! Will these be carried by Ricambi?

12. D-bling

D-bling Karting

Jun 25, 2010
  13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very exciting. Can't wait to add to my 456m

14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  15. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Unfortunately no. Daniel declined to carry the COP kit but is carrying replacement HT harnesses for the old system.