Apple Vision Pro - New AR/VR Headset | FerrariChat

Apple Vision Pro - New AR/VR Headset

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheBigEasy, Jun 5, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I think a complete game changer..... took what Meta was doing with Oculus, Microsoft HoLo Lens, Magic Leap, etc..... and this leap frogs everyone by a long shot:

New commercial:

Longer / More detail version:

2. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    To me, it’s a generational paradigm shift to get people use that in your living room to watch TV’s and movies rather that on a physical monitor on the wall.

And not just your living room. It replaces your office screen set up too..... As many screens as big as you want, where ever you want. iMessages over here. Your home security cameras over here. Incoming FaceTime call over here. Browsing the web over here. Live news/sports over there.

Maybe more so for our kids than us. Will be more normal for them

VAF84 likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

This is incredible. I actually want this; coming from someone who has had no interest in the other vr headsets. I knew it was a matter of time before something came up to make our needing to take monitors with us irrelevant.

TheBigEasy likes this.
  4. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes.. that's the Apple effect

I have a Meta Quest 2.... it's been on a shelf in a closet for a year.... was just a web browser basically, since I'm not a gamer.

Apple's seamless integration with my iPhone, MacBook, and Apple TV (resume watching from all streaming apps, etc)..... that changes it's usefulness into a replacement for my multi-monitor setup in my office.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. nickp91

nickp91 Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    nickp
    for $3500 the apple headset better come with a a apple card with a $3500 credit limit

6. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    $3500 puts it at the level of a higher specced MacBook Pro laptop..... I'm sure there's a comparable amount of tech in it's guts.

VAF84 likes this.
  7. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Just for fun, here's an Atari ad from 1977. Yes, the year 1977. I am not very sure this thing will catch on. A niche product, absolutely.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Hello.... just got my VisionPro yesterday...

Posting this now while wearing it.

Seems to work easy enough given that it's just connected to my laptop. Not sure yet if I like the experience of using this as my "screen".

NbyNW, jimangle, VAF84 and 1 other person like this.
  9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’m looking for something like this for my mom. Age issues and travel isn’t an option but she loves history, castles, Egypt, museums, and similar stuff. Thinking one of these for an immersive virtual experience. Is there decent content available?

10. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    If I’m honest.. I don’t think it “works” for an older person. Obviously you can generalize everyone… but VR in general I think will be a generational evolution. Anyone over 35 or so is already too old for this stuff

At least that’s my opinion so far. I love all things tech. I bought a Vision Pro on day 1… and previously I’ve had a Oculus Quest 2….. I pretty much buy and love all new tech things.

But VR in general, as much as I want to love it, I just don’t. I don’t like the experience of a headset as my “screen” no matter how good the quality is getting now. I still just prefer a really nice ultra wide monitor on my desk… and an iPad when I’m on my couch.

NbyNW likes this.
  11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The "Father of Science Fiction" Hugo Gernsback should at least be given SOME credit for considering such an idea way back in 1963...

Jedi

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bball16 likes this.
  12. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    What is the longest you have worn it in a single sitting, and if it cannot replace your screen, what will you use it for?

Can you wear it for more than an hour without feeling nauseous?

13. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Ok so here is my personal experience and opinion so far....

I don't think "nauseous" is the right word... I've never felt motion sick while using it or anything like that. For me it's just more I haven't wanted to wear it that long, if that makes sense.

Here is my use case:
    • when I'm in my office, I have a nice 49" Samsung ulta-wide monitor connected to a Mac... so my "work" environment all day comprises of iMessage + gmail chat locked on the left side... then the rest of the screen is my email + other work apps or whatever else I'm doing
    • when I'm at home, we have our big TV in the living room... and if my wife is watching something I don't like, then I'm on the couch with my iPad watching something else
    So after a week or so, I think being "immersed" is just gimmicky and doesn't actually improve either of those use cases.

Not to mention (and maybe this is just specific to me) but you really do feel like an idiot while wearing it around other people.... or at least my wife and coworkers have no mercy for that sort of thing... :D

The use cases I suppose it could be cool would just be:
    • if you don't have the space in your house (or the budget) for a big theater room... then this can serve as a much better movie watching experience than a cheap little TV or computer... (I know some young people now that watch movies on their phone, which is insane to me)
    • airplanes.... when you don't care about the people around you... this gives you complete privacy for what you're watching or working on + a much bigger workspace than your tray table
    But the idea that in the future Augmented screens in our eyeglasses will replace your phone, ipad, computer, tv, etc...... no thanks, not for me.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    As I'm doing triceps on the cable machine I look outside the gym and see a guy wearing this thing. I have no idea why, or if he was in the gym beforehand. The headstrap gave it away that it was the vision pro.

Such a very peculiar place to see this thing out in the public.

15. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. gsxrian

gsxrian Karting

Feb 4, 2023
    ... its rather uncomfortable to wear ..... it will be cool in another 3 or 4 generations .... hard pass from me, at the moment!

17. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I was thinking of getting one of these for development but the $4100 price tag just is way too much for a first generation device with limited appeal.

The "Apple" people might buy anything from them but they're not going to be walking down the street with this monstrosity on their faces. They're not going to be sitting in an office or classroom wearing one of these. The appeal is limited. The use cases are extremely low, and the price is extraordinary even for Apple.

I went through the whole Google Glass fiasco and it was the same thing and that device at least could be worn comfortably.

I'll pass.

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I suspect the majority of people who bought this did so knowing they'd probably return them...just like the Meta devices. Apple has some thinking/soul searching to do if they legitimately think this thing is worth anything close to what they are asking for it.

bball16 likes this.
  19. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It is a great product in search of a need for it. Other than using them for flying drones, no one I know uses VR/AR headsets after the novelty wears off.

Maybe a gamer that doesn’t have a life and no room for a large monitor?

20. fastxshane

fastxshane Rookie

Feb 6, 2024
    I am kinda thinking about buying this. It's worth it, right!